All-Star Rec Vs All Star

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2013
There is an all star gym near me, that is brand new, and from what I hear (reliable sources who actually inquired about the program to members as well as owners), planning to compete in the "rec" division at competition. From my understanding, rec is for youth/city league cheerleading, like Joe Schoe City League Cheerleading. If they are NOT affiliated with a school, or city program, and a completely independent entity, who operates under a private owner, how can they do this? Doesn't the competition company do some sort of verification process for teams that enter that division, to ensure that they are connected to a youth/city league? Those levels that are offered to rec, not to mention the teams that are placed in the rec divisions fairly, are TYPICALLY much less difficult than all stars, thus making it an unfair advantage for all star teams to compete in it. I understand WHY, a new all star team would WANT to compete in rec, I mean, why not, you'd most likely slay the other teams, since you have a facility, tumblers, and LESS you have to do to max out... But how is that fair to the city/youth leagues that have to compete against all star teams that are unethically placing themselves in that division? i understand it's neither my place or business really, to spill the beans about the organization planning on doing this, BUT shouldn't someone do something? It's not only unfair to the teams they compete against (blatant cheating actually) but it's unfair to educate the athletes and parents that that IS the division they should be in, when that is FALSE. Rec is reserved for youth and city league teams. I don't understand how ANY allStar gym owner could think competing in that would be either ethical or allowable. Any feedback wpuld be appreciated.

Ashley

We'll i do not know like the logistics and detail on this stuff but I know some gyms kinda like this.

Just because you have your own gym does not mean that you are allstar. Also rec is so vague there is not distinction. There's a gym near me that competes rec but they cheer at a local football teams game (only 1 game) to meet a requirement? Of cheering for a sport or something like that. The practice like allstars having practice three days a week and their having tryouts now. They will start in June. So pretty much their allstars but they wanted to give a lower cost option than allstars.

This is just what I'm saying. If it truly is an allstar gym and competing as rec there's definetly something weird about that.

They go to 8-12 comps. But rec entry is cheaper than allstars. They only go to jamfest and varsity competitions.

We'll i do not know like the logistics and detail on this stuff but I know some gyms kinda like this.

Just because you have your own gym does not mean that you are allstar. Also rec is so vague there is not distinction. There's a gym near me that competes rec but they cheer at a local football teams game (only 1 game) to meet a requirement? Of cheering for a sport or something like that. The practice like allstars having practice three days a week and their having tryouts now. They will start in June. So pretty much their allstars but they wanted to give a lower cost option than allstars.

This is just what I'm saying. If it truly is an allstar gym and competing as rec there's definetly something weird about that.
Both Jam and certain Varsity brands have rec definitions and they include both cheering for a youth sport and being sponsored by a local youth organization. If you don't do both of these things and you (general you, not you specifically) compete in the rec division, you are cheating. One of our comps this year was against a rec gym... Not sponsored by a youth program, no cheering for sports (information stated clearly on their website) so I could have turned them in for cheating, but instead we just beat them soundly at the competition. It still makes me angry that people think this is acceptable. No, it isn't. I don't care that you are a "nonprofit" gym, nor that you are "new", nor that you are " doing it for the kids." No. You're cheating. You're cheating against kids that often have inferior practice spaces, often come from economic situations that preclude paying comp fees for multiple competitions per year (so when you beat them by cheating, then move on to your next comp like no big deal? That may be their only comp of the year), and that, unfortunately, often have coaches that do not have the resources to be certified or attend coaches conferences (not that I am condoning uninformed coaches - looking up USASF rules and competition score sheets is free, but time consuming).

I take kids from some pretty tough circumstances (I coach on a military base), and teach them sideline cheerleading and competition cheerleading. In the fall, we practice outside. In the winter and spring, we are shuffled amongst various practice spaces, sometimes without mats or ceilings high enough (so we work jumps/dance/conditioning), and never ever with a full floor of mats (max a half size floor, and we have to tape the mats together). There is just no way that the playing field is even against an all star gym. Some rec programs have gyms, and I am totally fine with that - as long as they cheer for a sport and are sponsored by a youth organization. Heck, it is my goal to harass base leadership enough to give me a permanent place on base, and then fundraise to get a spring floor for the program. But we will still play by the rules and cheer for football and be sponsored by the youth sports program. It just kills me that people think cheating this way is okay, mainly because the EPs really don't police their own policies regarding rec - it is up to the teams at the competition to turn their competitors in (and then you just look like a sore loser for doing so).

Sorry for the long rant, and again, this isn't directed at you, I just used your post as a jumping-off point.

@thatgymowner contact Carlos Muniz, Justin Carrier, Dan Kessler and Kevin Brubaker. They're currently working on fixing this exact situation from recurring again this year but any input you may have to alert them to the problem will help the cause. Pm me if you need any more advice or info.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

A gym near here did the same thing and bragged about their great season. Well, yeah. You never competed in your actual division! Just because you are small and new doesn't mean you are "rec".
I do have to say though that here you can compete rec if you are a member of the state run org and follow their rules. They don't require you to be city run, cheer for a team or anything. Some of the rec comps offer all-star divisions so non-members who use all star divisions can do small, cheap comps and compete against other small all star teams.

@thatgymowner contact Carlos Muniz, Justin Carrier, Dan Kessler and Kevin Brubaker. They're currently working on fixing this exact situation from recurring again this year but any input you may have to alert them to the problem will help the cause. Pm me if you need any more advice or info.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I'm hoping that they are listening to input from true rec coaches, so that true rec programs are not inadvertently hurt by new restrictions. Lawd knows I love USASF sanctioned events and would hate to be relegated to competing at rec-only disasters in local high schools...

I'm hoping that they are listening to input from true rec coaches, so that true rec programs are not inadvertently hurt by new restrictions. Lawd knows I love USASF sanctioned events and would hate to be relegated to competing at rec-only disasters in local high schools...
If you're a true rec program you should have absolutely no issues with the sanctions they're proposing. It will further protect you from sandbagging all star gyms.

@SarahS I respect you so much for doing it all the right way and having an AWESOME rec team. Snaps for you. I want to come down and work with your kids if you are ever looking to bring in a guest coach for a day. :D

Back