All-Star Recruiting ? And Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

acecheermom

Cheer Parent
Apr 14, 2015
Are there USASF rules about recruiting athletes from other programs?

And what are your thoughts on this?

When I say recruiting I don't mean a coach/owner of another program saying good job I mean stuff like sending parents emails/private messages on FB full out saying we want your kid on our floor, etc.

Where does it cross a line? And how should one handle it?

TIA

My feelings on this has changed over the years. I used to be adamantly against it, but now I feel that there's nothing wrong with it until comp season. Once a team hits the mat, then they need to wait until the season is over.
As far as crossing a line? No adult should directly contact a minor but adult to adult communication is fair game. Parents always have the ability to say no.

The contact in this case was adult to adult however it still feels like a sticky situation to me.

The minor in this case cheers both Allstar and High school cheer. The high school program requires the athlete to do weekly tumbling with the high school team at a gym other than the athlete's home gym. It was following one of these weekly tumbling classes that the owner of the other gym contacted the parent of the athlete.

I just think this is totally wrong but I guess other's see it differently.

Which is why I was asking here for others' opinions. We don't see this around here much as most of the Allstar programs in our area are small gym programs.

My feelings on this has changed over the years. I used to be adamantly against it, but now I feel that there's nothing wrong with it until comp season. Once a team hits the mat, then they need to wait until the season is over.
As far as crossing a line? No adult should directly contact a minor but adult to adult communication is fair game. Parents always have the ability to say no.

Adult to child is pure genius, though from a recruiting perspective. As much as I am not in favor of it.

Think about it.

Owner hooks child and child persuades parent.

Especially if child has a desire to win Worlds or something like that.

It's hard for a parent to pass up (example) "Eddie who coaches Smoed said I'm a beast tumbler and wants me to send a video and try out."

Last edited:
I agree with @dawgshow Having been a cheer parent for 10 years, my perspective about a lot of things in the all star world have changed. During the competition season, there should be no contact from other gyms; otherwise I see no problem. But adults should not be directly contacting minors other than to get a parent's contact information.

I think @dawgshow has it right--- adult to adult and outside of competition season. Cheer really lacks an 'off season' when this type of stuff would typically go on in other sports so you kinda do it as you can...I have no issues with it.

I think it is a fine line, but up to the athlete and parent to decide what is best for the athlete. Part of me thinks it is great that coaches want to better their teams and will recruit, but the other side sees how shady it can be towards the other gym (and in some cases athletes who might be replaced if the recruit comes to the new team).

I also think that the cheer culture create opportunities for this to happen. Athletes have access to other coaches at places like Woodward. Gyms invite guest coaches and choreographers into their gym. Athletes practice at other facilities due to distance, school cheer, or due to lack of classes/privates at their gym. Elite athletes get to meet several other coaches through programs like Hot Shots and Nfinity camps. It is natural for friendships and opportunities for recruiting to happen.

In my ideal world, no one would be allowed to switch gyms during comp season and that would alleviate some of the shadiness that could come from recruiting midseason.

In my ideal world, no one would be allowed to switch gyms during comp season and that would alleviate some of the shadiness that could come from recruiting midseason.
The release rule has basically made this a reality, and it is a rule I despise. I completely understand where you are coming from, but I have seen gym owners completely take advantage of their power. Take this real life example: Star athlete is part of Shadygym. Shadygymowner has a senior level 5 team. The region doesn't even have a competition to attend in their area until December (well after the Nov 1 deadline for a release). The team isn't a strong level 5, but never has been and they have always managed to get a bid to worlds. Gym goes to their first competition in January but the level 5 team doesn't attend due to injuries. Shadygymowner asks Star athlete to fill in on a level 4 team. Star athlete is a team player so she readily agrees. The next week Shadygymowner decides the level 5 team is now a level 4 team, therefor no worlds team. Star athlete goes to another gym because Shadygym no longer has a team for her. Shadygymowner refuses to sign a release. Star athlete is stuck on a non worlds team the rest of the season. Is this fair to the athlete?

Adult to child is pure genius, though from a recruiting perspective.

Think about it.

Owner hooks child and child persuades parent.

Especially if child has a desire to win Worlds or something like that.

It's hard for a parent to pass up (example) "Eddie who coaches Smoed said I'm a beast tumbler and wants me to send a video and try out."

It is inappropriate and crosses a lot of lines. I would not allow my child in a program that had adults contacting them from social media.

The contact in this case was adult to adult however it still feels like a sticky situation to me.

The minor in this case cheers both Allstar and High school cheer. The high school program requires the athlete to do weekly tumbling with the high school team at a gym other than the athlete's home gym. It was following one of these weekly tumbling classes that the owner of the other gym contacted the parent of the athlete.

I just think this is totally wrong but I guess other's see it differently.

Which is why I was asking here for others' opinions. We don't see this around here much as most of the Allstar programs in our area are small gym programs.
If the minor was there for high school tumbling, the owner/coach may not have known the athlete cheered for another All Star program. If the parent is happy with their All Star program all they have to do is say "Thanks for the interest, but we are happy with our current program. "

If the minor was there for high school tumbling, the owner/coach may not have known the athlete cheered for another All Star program. If the parent is happy with their All Star program all they have to do is say "Thanks for the interest, but we are happy with our current program. "

Said owner was very aware. In fact has tried to make contact multiple times and has been rebuffed each time. Said owner even asked in message if this athlete had already signed their commitment to the other gym and named it so he was very aware and even knew which program exactly cheers with (not a lucky guess as we have 6 programs in our area all but one are small gyms). Parent did respond to let the owner know she has signed her commitment but is now concerned that since this young girl is required to be there weekly for high school tumbling that this will continue to be an ongoing issue. I guess that will just have to be handled one week at a time.

I will tell you that kids should be able to tumble anywhere for school, extra tumbling, etc. without being approached by someone.

If a kid tumbles at your gym twice a week and decides that they love your program/culture/staff, they'll ask the parent to tryout/switch gyms. You won't have to message/beg/etc. Trust me.

Focus on presenting a welcoming atmosphere and having awesome teams/coaches, and your product/service will speak for itself.

I can also tell you that there are also sometimes kids who will say "Well, they're messaging me all the time about coming to Shady Athetics."

....but in reality, the parent and kid actually CONTACTED Shady Athletics first (and are just telling the other gym owner the opposite to make themselves feel better about leaving.)

People are free to leave, but should just be upfront about their desires.

Back