All-Star Recruiting ? And Thoughts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The release rule has basically made this a reality, and it is a rule I despise. I completely understand where you are coming from, but I have seen gym owners completely take advantage of their power. Take this real life example: Star athlete is part of Shadygym. Shadygymowner has a senior level 5 team. The region doesn't even have a competition to attend in their area until December (well after the Nov 1 deadline for a release). The team isn't a strong level 5, but never has been and they have always managed to get a bid to worlds. Gym goes to their first competition in January but the level 5 team doesn't attend due to injuries. Shadygymowner asks Star athlete to fill in on a level 4 team. Star athlete is a team player so she readily agrees. The next week Shadygymowner decides the level 5 team is now a level 4 team, therefor no worlds team. Star athlete goes to another gym because Shadygym no longer has a team for her. Shadygymowner refuses to sign a release. Star athlete is stuck on a non worlds team the rest of the season. Is this fair to the athlete?

No that definitely is not fair and I agree that my idea would cause a major problem in your scenario. Sadly, there isn't a solution that makes it work for everyone (yet). I was thinking more about preventing the ones who jump at shady recruitment or stopping those who chose to take it easy for the season and then jumping on a team at the last minute (often displacing an athlete who earned the right to compete).

Also, in order to respond to another gym about leaving, folks must first WANT to leave.

Honestly, if your families are getting high-quality instruction/coaching and their kids are on skill appropriate teams/being challenged, they could be approached by a gym owner in a blue and black private jet waiting to whisk them off to practice, and they wouldn't switch.

Said owner was very aware. In fact has tried to make contact multiple times and has been rebuffed each time. Said owner even asked in message if this athlete had already signed their commitment to the other gym and named it so he was very aware and even knew which program exactly cheers with (not a lucky guess as we have 6 programs in our area all but one are small gyms). Parent did respond to let the owner know she has signed her commitment but is now concerned that since this young girl is required to be there weekly for high school tumbling that this will continue to be an ongoing issue. I guess that will just have to be handled one week at a time.
In that case, it's shady.

We go to a number of open gyms, clinics, events, etc at other gyms as my daughter has a lot if friends at other gyms (our original gym went out of business and our "family" split). If we are going I drive any distance and make an effort I will typically arrange a private in the time frame of the event to make it worth the trip. At each gym we have been approached by the owners (welcomed, encouraged, etc) and we are always asked if we are interested in their program despite being very forthright about just visiting to see our friends. In each case we were told if we ever changed our minds they would be happy to have her in their program. Each subsequent visit we were always treated respectfully-my daughter was always encouraged and always reminded how well she fit in...all subtle recruiting in my mind. Periodically they checked in to see if we had any change in desire and let us know of openings on teams. They made her feel welcome, valued, and appreciated yet respected that we were not considering moving. This meant that of course at tryout season this year CP actually THOUGHT about dragging me to 4 other tryouts!
My CP is no star athlete. She is 11, has a full- is pretty average but a hard worker. Perhaps it would be different if she was a star, but she is not. The positive interactions and encouragement were awesome, increased my opinion of these programs ad entry my husband further as a recruitment tool than any other approach would have. I would like to think all gyms would behave thus way abs then the scenario proposed o this thread would not be a thing

Also, in order to respond to another gym about leaving, folks must first WANT to leave.

Honestly, if your families are getting high-quality instruction/coaching and their kids are on skill appropriate teams/being challenged, they could be approached by a gym owner in a blue and black private jet waiting to whisk them off to practice, and they wouldn't switch.
I agree with this if it is Local Gym A versus Local Gym B, but when a Mega gym comes into play, I don't think it matters how good Local Gym is. Even if Local Gym is doing everything right, they are going to lose athletes if Cheer Athletics opens a location nearby.

I agree with this if it is Local Gym A versus Local Gym B, but when a Mega gym comes into play, I don't think it matters how good Local Gym is. Even if Local Gym is doing everything right, they are going to lose athletes if Cheer Athletics opens a location nearby.

It doesn't even have to be a mega gym. All it takes is the right people whispering sweet nothings in the ears of kids/parents who already have an overexaggerated sense of their own self worth. Witnessed it, en masse, in the last three months. I'm thankful I coach high school, and no one is attempting to lure my athletes away.

It seems pretty average at her current gym....but I think more than that it is personality. CP is not one that looks for the spotlight...rather CP shows up to get the job done, whatever that may be, and just works. She isn't the one you notice in the routine (there are some real performers)...that's what I meant...not exactly the kind of kid I think you look to high pressure recruit, so our experience may be influenced by that.
As for skills, she is a solid 4 beginning 5. Maybe she will progress, maybe she won't...it's up to her. I have no idea what she might be working on as she has not mentioned it lately. This is her sport so ultimately what she achieves is her decision. I just ask each season if we are signing up again-for now the answer is yes, but her interests may change-who knows :)

The release rule has basically made this a reality, and it is a rule I despise. I completely understand where you are coming from, but I have seen gym owners completely take advantage of their power. Take this real life example: Star athlete is part of Shadygym. Shadygymowner has a senior level 5 team. The region doesn't even have a competition to attend in their area until December (well after the Nov 1 deadline for a release). The team isn't a strong level 5, but never has been and they have always managed to get a bid to worlds. Gym goes to their first competition in January but the level 5 team doesn't attend due to injuries. Shadygymowner asks Star athlete to fill in on a level 4 team. Star athlete is a team player so she readily agrees. The next week Shadygymowner decides the level 5 team is now a level 4 team, therefor no worlds team. Star athlete goes to another gym because Shadygym no longer has a team for her. Shadygymowner refuses to sign a release. Star athlete is stuck on a non worlds team the rest of the season. Is this fair to the athlete?

I remember this one and without a real USASF appeal process in place this athlete is stuck.

**AS Cheer is the The Hotel California of sports**

I remember this one and without a real USASF appeal process in place this athlete is stuck.

**AS Cheer is the The Hotel California of sports**

For all the work USASF makes into making rules for everyone else to follow, you'd think they'd come up with some sort of impartial committee to decide whether or not an athlete can get a waiver...then again, this is the USASF so least amount of work for the most amount of money.

It seems pretty average at her current gym....but I think more than that it is personality. CP is not one that looks for the spotlight...rather CP shows up to get the job done, whatever that may be, and just works. She isn't the one you notice in the routine (there are some real performers)...that's what I meant...not exactly the kind of kid I think you look to high pressure recruit, so our experience may be influenced by that.
As for skills, she is a solid 4 beginning 5. Maybe she will progress, maybe she won't...it's up to her. I have no idea what she might be working on as she has not mentioned it lately. This is her sport so ultimately what she achieves is her decision. I just ask each season if we are signing up again-for now the answer is yes, but her interests may change-who knows :)

I'd want my kid at a gym that is pleasantly recruiting hard working team players. :)

Back