Recruiting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 4, 2010
I thought I read a section in usasf somewhere about actively and openly recruiting from other member gyms?? Can someone please clarify if their is a rule pertaining to this matter or anything that usasf will do about it. Thanks

The following is included in a version of the USASF/IASF GYM MEMBERSHIP PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY CODE V2.0 (at https://usasfmembers.net/members/resources/Terms_for_gyms.pdf), but it's not on an earlier version of the same document. I'm pretty sure the vote was passed in 2011 to incorporate this... but I'm not 100%.

A. The USASF does not allow gym owners, their employees, and their clients to recruit other gym owners, their employees or their clients while attending a USASF sanctioned event. Recruiting would include physically approaching them, handing out any type of advertisement for example, but not limited to business cards, brochures, flyers on cars, etc.

The following is included in a version of the USASF/IASF GYM MEMBERSHIP PROFESSIONAL RESPONSIBILITY CODE V2.0 (at https://usasfmembers.net/members/resources/Terms_for_gyms.pdf), but it's not on an earlier version of the same document. I'm pretty sure the vote was passed in 2011 to incorporate this... but I'm not 100%.

A. The USASF does not allow gym owners, their employees, and their clients to recruit other gym owners, their employees or their clients while attending a USASF sanctioned event. Recruiting would include physically approaching them, handing out any type of advertisement for example, but not limited to business cards, brochures, flyers on cars, etc.

So basically what this is saying is that your kids cannot be recruited if they are at a competition. But everywhere else is fair game. There is a few gym's by me that wear t-shirts to competition with their tryout dates on them which is kind of tacky. Also, the USASF can only police their members, so the coach that came up to one of my girls while she was waiting to warm up to tell her "you know our tryouts are next week" is in the clear since the gym is not a USASF member.

If the other gym is a USASF member though you can put in a complaint with the USASF regarding the issue.

The Facebook recruiting is hardcore here! I have to policy my CP's Facebook daily for friend requests. I had to delete everyone except her friends at her current gym.

The Facebook recruiting is hardcore here! I have to policy my CP's Facebook daily for friend requests. I had to delete everyone except her friends at her current gym.
I was getting so many messages from coaches looking to put me on their team during comp season. It's so unprofessional in a cheerleading stand point but it honestly happens all the time in the real world and it's something we can't prevent. Think about a job, if you're good at what you do, other companies are going to contact you because they want your skills and are willing to offer you more for them. It's sad that it hurts gyms and they lose athletes but it's part of life. Do I think it should happen? No, not at all but there's really no way to stop it completely.

I was getting so many messages from coaches looking to put me on their team during comp season. It's so unprofessional in a cheerleading stand point but it honestly happens all the time in the real world and it's something we can't prevent. Think about a job, if you're good at what you do, other companies are going to contact you because they want your skills and are willing to offer you more for them. It's sad that it hurts gyms and they lose athletes but it's part of life. Do I think it should happen? No, not at all but there's really no way to stop it completely.

You're right - I get messages on LinkedIn probably every week or two. But I think the big difference is that these kids, are, well, kids. It would be one thing if these gyms were recruiting the parents, but it's too easy to sway kids with empty promises and perks.

We have the same problem.. we have the rival gym owners paying their coaches over time to come to the competition where teams they coached the year before are competing to recruit them.

on top of that we have coaches telling their kids to recruit all their friends even if they are on different teams and they make it a contest to see what kids recruits the most athletes of the other gym's team.

Cant even believe them! Wow. low blow

I have seen you around before... your from Twisters Elite right?? who is your rival gym?? Scamps? Fire House?? Layton?? I think its best if you worry about your own gym and keeping your kids! Its not our fault that kids want to get better so they come to Ultimate. Stop posting status and Nasty comments about us. GROW UP KID

Just wanna throw out there.... People pull the recruiting card all the time when its not actually recruiting!

Examples:
1. Athlete and/or Family contacts you for information.
2. Talking to old athletes at competitions and seeing how they are doing

Worry about your program and the product you're putting on the stage. If you're providing an atmosphere that allows kids to progress in thier skills as well as a quality performance on the stage you don't have to worry about people leaving your gym.

If you win, people will come and see what you're all about. If people who have won in the past are talking about you, people will come and see what you're all about.

When you point a finger at someone you have three more punted at you. So stop worrying about what so and do is doing and focus on making your program the best it can be.

Edit - but I do agree Facebook recruiting and what not is a bit much

Back