All-Star Recruiting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 16, 2009
I am looking to recruit the following ages 14-18 and 5-8. These are my smaller groups for allstars. Please share any ideas that may have worked for you. Did you offer some kind of discount? Or are you of that age...what would pull you in? I am really struggling with these ages and need to recruit more to max out my teams before choreography in August. If you have ideas, can you PM them to me! Any help is greatly appreciated?

Well, you didn't leave yourself much time to prepare, plan, and execute a recruiting campaign, but I will help brainstorm a bit.

Now, I don't know what your area is like for competition, so I will be fairly general.

The first think I would think about is who those groups are. 5-8 and 14-18 year olds are pretty different in terms of what will attract them. 5-8 year olds are looking to have fun, to learn something new and cool. Their parents will also have to be sold on the idea and believe that your program will benefit their child. 14-18 year olds on the other hand will be in it more for the competition, the challenge, and for social reasons. And although the parents will still need to believe in your program to pay for it, the older group will be a bit more independent.

Get yourself in the community. Make yourself visible. It is always surprising to me how many people, even other cheerleaders, have no clue what all-star cheer is all about. It sounds ludicrous to me since my life is pretty much cheer, but its true. Other cheerleaders who have heard of all-stars often have distorted views on it. They think that only the most talented athletes are on all-star teams, and that the costs are obscene. Many school and rec cheerleaders don't understand that there are all-star teams for all ages/skill levels and that fund raising offsets the costs of tuition and other fees.

Get in touch with local school, rec and pee-wee programs and offer classes to help them stunt, jump, and tumble. If you work with the coaches of other programs to accommodate their schedules, many times they will promote your program to their kids and not view it as competition when recruiting.

Other ways to get seen is at local fairs and parades. Set up informational booths for your program and showcase some of your stunts and tumbling. That is a sure way to get some people interested in joining.

Get bumper stickers, and t-shirts. I can't go anywhere without people asking me how they can join my program. One staff member at my gym even had someone holler at him from their car in a drive though asking how they can join.

Well those are just a few ideas I had quickly brainstormed but the possibilities are nearly endless! I hope this helps you. If your have any questions feel free to ask.

Best of luck,
Coach Matt

Hold a "bring a friend day" or maybe make it a whole week where each day a different team can bring a friend in who is not in the program. During that day/week make the focus be on including everyone. Play team building exercises, try stunts, do tumbling circuits and obstacle courses. Show them how much fun your program can be. Get them excited to join!

Also, pay special attention to your gym's cleanliness when new people are in the gym. I can't tell you how many industry studies I have read and conferences I have been to that harp on the fact that a clean gym, lobby, and bathrooms are essential when new families come to check out your facility.

Ha, I had some more ideas I guess. I will keep posting them as I think of them!

Also, make flyer and go to your city (and surrounding cities) community centers, library, stores, a place similar to YMCA where kids do activities, gyms, schools, etc.

Make a Facebook page (if you dont have one already) and make a post/picture flyer where people can "share" the picture so other people can view, have the coaches have the flyer as the profile picture, encourage the parents/kids to make the flyer their Facebook picture, post the picture, or make a post saying to join and their is still spots available!

Best of luck!

Sorry I just keep on thinking of ideas,
You can hold a 3 day clinic for all ages where they can tumble, stunt, etc. Get introduced to the program. include lunch or some mini awards. Maybe have the people that went to the clinic get a discount on the allstar program.

Back