All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That was the rule last season, which wasn't the first year, and I haven't heard anything about it changing.

If you go car shopping, buy something, and a couple months later regret the purchase do you have any responsibility for regretting it?
These are kids we are talking about here - not vehicles. And vehicles come with a lemon law and warranty so I would argue there is better protection in some ways. I have seen more kids get screwed by the rule than gym owners protected. There are very few youth sports with the same rule.

These are kids we are talking about here - not vehicles. And vehicles come with a lemon law and warranty so I would argue there is better protection in some ways. I have seen more kids get screwed by the rule than gym owners protected. There are very few youth sports with the same rule.

Ok. If a family chooses a gym and regrets that decision, who is responsible for that choice?

Ok. If a family chooses a gym and regrets that decision, who is responsible for that choice?
Okay, they regret the decision why can't they move on? Going with car analogies the regretting buyer can sell that car and upgrade.

Using hockey as a reference, USA Hockey requires a release (by a set date) but the only way am organization can deny it is if the athlete owes money.

Ones perception is not always reality.

It depends. If the gym changes anything during the season (coaches, comp schedules, team levels/divisions) or doesn't deliver what they committed to then I feel the gym is responsible. Getting back to your car analogy - if I bring my car back to the dealer for service and they remove the steering wheel and don't replace it would I still be expected to be happy with the car?

But with a release?

They only need a release to compete at Worlds, not move on, switch gyms, compete at bid events, Summit, US Finals, the One, Amazing, Champions League, the Majors, or even the Revolution if it's reincarnated.

Does anyone expect this conversation to have a different ending than the last 4 times we've had it?

They only need a release to compete at Worlds, not move on, switch gyms, compete at bid events, Summit, US Finals, the One, Amazing, Champions League, the Majors, or even the Revolution if it's reincarnated.

Does anyone expect this conversation to have a different ending than the last 4 times we've had it?

You are correct, an athlete wouldn't need a release to just move on unless the reason for the move was to be on a worlds team.

No we don't expect it to change. I can see the need for it but not sure it has evolved to the point where it could, which would allow for both parties to have protection.

I have heard of the usasf intervening a couple of times to allow an athlete to compete with a different program at worlds but is there even an official method of dispute/resolution when a release isn't granted? Is there even a set committee in place that could address issues?

You are correct, an athlete wouldn't need a release to just move on unless the reason for the move was to be on a worlds team.

No we don't expect it to change. I can see the need for it but not sure it has evolved to the point where it could, which would allow for both parties to have protection.

I have heard of the usasf intervening a couple of times to allow an athlete to compete with a different program at worlds but is there even an official method of dispute/resolution when a release isn't granted? Is there even a set committee in place that could address issues?

If the conversation is going to end the same way it has the last couple times I'd prefer to remove myself from it now.

If the conversation is going to end the same way it has the last couple times I'd prefer to remove myself from it now.
Nope, not planning on that so please stick around.

Eta: I honestly don't know this but knowing there has been some disputes and the usasf has looked into them how is that done? Assuming someone has to contact their regional rep who addresses it but am not sure. Any insight for us?

Okay, they regret the decision why can't they move on? Going with car analogies the regretting buyer can sell that car and upgrade.

Using hockey as a reference, USA Hockey requires a release (by a set date) but the only way am organization can deny it is if the athlete owes money.

Using hockey as a reference though, they don't allow a release mid-season. If you decide you don't want to play for that organization any longer, then you are benched the rest of the season. You are not allowed to take you child to play for another team, at least in NYS. After the season is over then they will give the release if the financial obligation is made.

My son play and a teammate chose to quit partway through because they were upset with the coaching philosophies. He was off the ice for almost a whole season because of it.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Using hockey as a reference though, they don't allow a release mid-season. If you decide you don't want to play for that organization any longer, then you are benched the rest of the season. You are not allowed to take you child to play for another team, at least in NYS. After the season is over then they will give the release if the financial obligation is made.

My son play and a teammate chose to quit partway through because they were upset with the coaching philosophies. He was off the ice for almost a whole season because of it.

I'm in nys and have known players to switch mid season. USA hockey rosters are not considered set until dec 31 and even then for state tournament purposes can be modified up to around feb 1. This actually gives state tourney bound split season teams some flexibility in their roster. Any changes made after dec 31 must be petitioned through the nysaha and they have the power to approve or not approve the petition.

It has been a few years since I was heavily involved in hockey so this may have changed a bit but I have not heard of anything to this date.

Eta: regardless of when any roster change occurred with hockey the athlete had to have a predetermined number of games played with the new organization to be eligible for any state/league tournament

Last edited:
No releases in NC soccer unless the original club signs off. More importantly these issues rarely come up. Your child can be on the worst, most poorly coached team in the division and the family will either stick it out or wait until next tryout.

No releases in NC soccer unless the original club signs off. More importantly these issues rarely come up. Your child can be on the worst, most poorly coached team in the division and the family will either stick it out or wait until next tryout.

How long is the season?

Back