Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SharkDad

Most Positive, Best Parent '12
Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 15, 2009
I think it's important this next year to educate ourselves on who is responsible for what in cheer. Often times this gets confused.

The governing body has to put out the rules and standards required for safety and competition.

Membership should drive the governing body to change based on the needs of the sport. Without membership, the governing body can do what they want with no checks or balances.

Event producers create the venues for competition. Currently they control what competition looks like in our sport. I personally believe that the governing body, honoring the wishes of the membership should dictate what the competition standards should be like.

The Program/gym owners are solely responsible for the environment in their program. I say solely responsible, I know that they can't 100% control every action of every person, but they must communicate the standards. That way if someone doesn't met the standards they have something to reference when asking someone to improve their behavior or leave. They are the businesses that anchor the sport. The most important responsibility you have is for a safe environment for the kids and your coaches. If there is anything you allow that goes against that, you are responsible.

Parents should educate themselves on what a proper, safe atmosphere is for their kids. This is a youth sport. Don't drop your kids off unless you know what is safe and what is not. Once you know what is safe, don't settle for an unsafe environment for your child. Besides that, let the gym management, coaching and participation in the hands of the gym owners, coaches, and kids. Since you are paying the checks ensure that you get what you pay for or ask for compensation similar to when you go to any other business. Uniforms is a common item that parents get stuck with a product much later than they asked for without any guarantee. This needs to change.

Kids should only be responsible for participating in a sport they love and having fun. They can learn valuable lessons about teamwork, selflessness, hard work and discipline if you let them and don't pressure.

Within reason we should settle problems within the sport understanding who is responsible for what. Discuss away.

Ok- this thread might go somewhere good, but that statement is way too vague for discussion. Can you expound on what you're getting at?

Ok- this thread might go somewhere good, but that statement is way too vague for discussion. Can you expound on what you're getting at?

Sorry, I'm having posting problems. Had to start this on my phone and then edit on my computer. A much more complete post above now.. .

Add that each group involved is responsible for commitment and dedication to the other groups.

Add that each group involved is responsible for commitment and dedication to the other groups.

Each group should definitely be open to feedback provided in respectful manner

I think kids need to be more responsible in general. They are the ones that represent the program more so than the coaches and owners. What they do, wear, and post on social media websites can make a big impact to the image of you and your gym.
But other than that, I know a lot of high school girls that still have their moms pack their bags...I can't even remember the last time my mom packed my bag for anything. Then they start freaking out when something they needed wasn't packed. I also think they should be in charge of their own schedule. We get a week to week schedule by e-mail and my mom used to just tell me the days each Sunday then it was typically up to me to get there (if she wasn't able to take me). When I turned 16, I got the e-mails sent to me. And just little things too. Girls would always text me asking me if I had an extra bow or bloomers...is it really that hard to keep up with these things? Sorry this turned into a bit of a rant, but yes, more responsibility to the kids! :p

I love the idea that there are clear lines of responsibilty, and do believe that it is essential that the cheer coach/owner takes on responsibility for their organization. This includes doing things that inspire loyalty and things that remind the atheletes of their responsibilities as a member of their gym (good sportsmanship, responsible social networking, and remaining a positive role model to name a few). However, I do think that the athletes themselves have more responsibility than just participating in the sport. This is a dangerous, expensive, high commitment sport that requires a fairly high level of commitment from everyone involved.

I am very intererested in the flow between groups that you have outlined here though, and am looking forward to seeing people's repsonses to this flow. Also , as a parent, I couldn't agree more with your statement that we should be unequivocal in our commitment to a safe environment for our children. However, my only communications have ever been with the gym. I couldn't quite tell if you felt that parents should be involved with the eps or governing boards or not? I trust my cp's coaches, so this has never been an issue for me, but I am curious.

I love the idea that there are clear lines of responsibilty, and do believe that it is essential that the cheer coach/owner takes on responsibility for their organization. This includes doing things that inspire loyalty and things that remind the atheletes of their responsibilities as a member of their gym (good sportsmanship, responsible social networking, and remaining a positive role model to name a few). However, I do think that the athletes themselves have more responsibility than just participating in the sport. This is a dangerous, expensive, high commitment sport that requires a fairly high level of commitment from everyone involved.

I am very intererested in the flow between groups that you have outlined here though, and am looking forward to seeing people's repsonses to this flow. Also , as a parent, I couldn't agree more with your statement that we should be unequivocal in our commitment to a safe environment for our children. However, my only communications have ever been with the gym. I couldn't quite tell if you felt that parents should be involved with the eps or governing boards or not? I trust my cp's coaches, so this has never been an issue for me, but I am curious.

I think the kids are definitely responsible for their own behavior and for what they do or do not achieve in the sport. Keep in mind some are simply born with less aptitude for some of these skills as others so part of their lesson is that if they truly work their hardest they will be proud of themselves for reaching their maximum potential regardless if it's a level 6 basket/pyramid or a level 2 tumbling skill. The main point I wanted to make is that we don't look to the kids to be creating the standardization, safety, social standards, they should just be learning to thrive within the boundaries presented to them.

I think that parents should exercise more right, after they educate themselves, to provide feedback at whatever level they feel they need in a respectful manner. Many parents right now say they feel helpless because they don't think they have any power to change things in this sport. I say that their feedback as the consumer is worth more wait collectively than any other group

It didn't even occur to me you were talking about what they could achieve in skills, lol. Which means we agree....I think their responsibilites lie more in showing up to practice, keeping their bravado quiet enough to remain humble and supportive, and not letting down their teammates by giving up or showing disrespect. I am in awe of every level of accomplishment of our athletes. I celebrate every accomplishment , they are all doing things I could never dream of doing.

I look forward to the chance to educate myself as a parent, since it appears my kids have grown attached to this sport, I feel like it is time for me to learn more about it, and here seems like a good place to start. I ask questions incessantly, this is how I learn... just a warning....

I have recently decided that it was time to figure out what people meant when they say things like "It's political" or that rule will affect us such and such a way. I will willingly advocate for my kids on any level necessary. But to be honest, I don't yet know how to tell the difference between being an avid cheer parent and being one of the crazy types who thinks they know everything so I am eager to figure out what role is best for me to play. I am intrigued, and since it appears I will spend so much of my time and money in this industry, I like the idea of educating myself about it....

It didn't even occur to me you were talking about what they could achieve in skills, lol. Which means we agree....I think their responsibilites lie more in showing up to practice, keeping their bravado quiet enough to remain humble and supportive, and not letting down their teammates by giving up or showing disrespect. I am in awe of every level of accomplishment of our athletes. I celebrate every accomplishment , they are all doing things I could never dream of doing.

I look forward to the chance to educate myself as a parent, since it appears my kids have grown attached to this sport, I feel like it is time for me to learn more about it, and here seems like a good place to start. I ask questions incessantly, this is how I learn... just a warning....

I have recently decided that it was time to figure out what people meant when they say things like "It's political" or that rule will affect us such and such a way. I will willingly advocate for my kids on any level necessary. But to be honest, I don't yet know how to tell the difference between being an avid cheer parent and being one of the crazy types who thinks they know everything so I am eager to figure out what role is best for me to play. I am intrigued, and since it appears I will spend so much of my time and money in this industry, I like the idea of educating myself about it....
There is plenty to read on the main board.

Feel free to stop by the Cheer Parent Section to ask any questions you like.

I think that parents should exercise more right, after they educate themselves, to provide feedback at whatever level they feel they need in a respectful manner. Many parents right now say they feel helpless because they don't think they have any power to change things in this sport. I say that their feedback as the consumer is worth more wait collectively than any other group

I totally agree, I just wish more parents would educate themselves and then realize that together parents can change ANYTHING but apart they can do nothing.

Back