All-Star Retirement???

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Let me clear this up,,, I never mentioned any steps are being skipped... Most athletes are not placed on Worlds team until 13 or for most, after 14 when they aged off of a Junior Level... I am kind of mystified that no one are aware of routes, which were alluded by another poster... As far as I know, this is not unusual act in other sports, in other sports, there is a clear fast route in place... Such as Gymnastics (I mentioned this sport, since I have experience in that area) we have the coaches who evaluate athletes and determines what kind of training they will receive or offer- whether it will be recreational gymnastic or advance training, working toward being on a elite teams and levels...
Maybe, my presumptions are wrong and cheerleading does not have a fast route in place and every athletes follow the same routes... If wrong, I am so sorry for jumping to conclusions and making these incorrect and off base assumptions...
I didn't say you mentioned steps were being skipped - I was just saying that is what your term of "fast track" or "fast route" implies- at least that is the definition I am most familiar with, so that is how I took your post to mean. I also got the impression that your gym leads every kid to believe they will be on Stars and if they aren't it is a disappointment and failure. Maybe I am reading into your posts wrong and if so I apologize!
I don't think you can compare gymnastics to cheer. Gymnastics is an individual sport. Even when you are on a "team" you are really competing against your own teammates for the top scores. It is far easier and makes more sense to evaluate an individual athlete in an individual sport and train them individually than it is to evaluate an individual athlete in a team sport. In cheer, coaches are looking to make the best team possible. Sometimes an individual may not be the best tumbler or have the best jumps, but when they are underneath a stunt it isn't coming down, so a coach places as much value on that athlete to the team as they do for the athlete who is last pass.

I didn't say you mentioned steps were being skipped - I was just saying that is what your term of "fast track" or "fast route" implies- at least that is the definition I am most familiar with, so that is how I took your post to mean. I also got the impression that your gym leads every kid to believe they will be on Stars and if they aren't it is a disappointment and failure. Maybe I am reading into your posts wrong and if so I apologize!
I don't think you can compare gymnastics to cheer. Gymnastics is an individual sport. Even when you are on a "team" you are really competing against your own teammates for the top scores. It is far easier and makes more sense to evaluate an individual athlete in an individual sport and train them individually than it is to evaluate an individual athlete in a team sport. In cheer, coaches are looking to make the best team possible. Sometimes an individual may not be the best tumbler or have the best jumps, but when they are underneath a stunt it isn't coming down, so a coach places as much value on that athlete to the team as they do for the athlete who is last pass.
Okay, maybe you are right on Gymnastics and Cheerleading are sports that are not comparable enough, one being an individual based and the other being team based... So, I am mystified again, if cheerleaders are only judged based on the team aspect...hmm, why do we have cheerlebrities and numerous posts about this aspect of the sport...Why do we know of athletes like A.Rice or G.Butler,who play on a team sport? These athletes have not been evaluated and determine that they should take a fast route or a different route... So only athletes who play on Individual sports get evaluated and placed on routes, hmmm, okay!

Okay, maybe you are right on Gymnastics and Cheerleading are sports that are not comparable enough, one being an individual based and the other being team based... So, I am mystified again, if cheerleaders are only judged based on the team aspect...hmm, why do we have cheerlebrities and numerous posts about this aspect of the sport...Why do we know of athletes like A.Rice or G.Butler,who play on a team sport? These athletes have not been evaluated and determine that they should take a fast route or a different route... So only athletes who play on Individual sports get evaluated and placed on routes, hmmm, okay!
All of those athletes are evaluated and placed on appropriate teams (not all cheerlebs are cheerlebs because of skill) but I will venture a guess the coaches never looked at 7 yo Angel Rice and said 'were fast tracking you to team XYZ' so get working. Every athlete sets their own course and develops at there pace so to put the cart (team xyz) in front of the horse (athlete) is pretty presumptuous of any coach since burnout, injury, maxed skills, add all still viable considerations.

I know through gymnastics you are familiar with the term Perfection before Progression. That is something Elaine has preached for a long time and setting up or talking of 'fast routing' an athlete seems counterintuitive of that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat

All of those athletes are evaluated and placed on appropriate teams (not all cheerlebs are cheerlebs because of skill) but I will venture a guess the coaches never looked at 7 yo Angel Rice and said 'were fast tracking you to team XYZ' so get working. Every athlete sets their own course and develops at there pace so to put the cart (team xyz) in front of the horse (athlete) is pretty presumptuous of any coach since burnout, injury, maxed skills, add all still viable considerations.

I know through gymnastics you are familiar with the term Perfection before Progression. That is something Elaine has preached for a long time and setting up or talking of 'fast routing' an athlete seems counterintuitive of that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android I promise I'm not really a hat
Thank you for this. I've got three college degrees...one of which makes people call me "doc" a lot and I still can't figure out the point of these threads or why they require such argument. This post is the most concise, clear and reasonable thing I've read and I completely agree with it. Any kid in any sport who is individually talented is liable to get to higher levels more quickly. It doesn't make the rest of their former teammates lesser people, burned out or in despair over not reaching their goals. Their goals maybe been entirely different.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

but you are talking about athletes being evaluated by coaches or gym owners and "fast tracking" these athletes. Yes cheerleading is team sport and there are cheerlebs. But I don't see the connection between cheerlebs and athlete evaluation. Coaches don't make cheerleaders cheerlebs. Fans do. I'm not sure why you're being so defensive or argumentative with the three posters that replyed to you. You seem to twist people words around. You might not intend to do this but that's how it's coming off.

ETA: sorry posted twice thinking .y first post deleted.

Last edited:
Hey maybe out of ignorance I said 'fast tracking' and not routes - but what I definitely mean is that there are several routes set out, which I became aware of after only being in this place for 1 year, so calling it fast track or tracking routes... They all mean the same to me,,, maybe my ignorance in this sport might be mixing up the terminology and maybe you, who are might enlightened can specified the difference... Okay, you know what, from now on, I will call it 'Fast routes' instead of 'Fast tracking'. Whew, I am glad we got that clear up, these are fast routes that happens, mostly, after the age of 12...
Btw, I did answer the question opposed by Cheer Dad - I mentioned in Pre-Evaluation this was mentioned, and for anonymity sake I will refrain from calling out names...

It was your use of the word "fast" not "track" :rolleyes:

Of course everyone is aware of tracks and routes that athletes take, especially at well known gyms with lots of L5 teams. I think what people are taking issue with is your implication that your cp is being told things that go against everything WC stands for and normally does.

I also think, judging from the comments, that people are taking issue with you starting threads for the sole purpose of telling us how special your cp is (despite your protests to the contrary, let's just call a spade a spade here)

Thank you for this. I've got three college degrees...one of which makes people call me "doc" a lot and I still can't figure out the point of these threads or why they require such argument. This post is the most concise, clear and reasonable thing I've read and I completely agree with it. Any kid in any sport who is individually talented is liable to get to higher levels more quickly. It doesn't make the rest of their former teammates lesser people, burned out or in despair over not reaching their goals. Their goals maybe been entirely different.

so we can now call you Dr 12stepcheermom?

Yes.

Okay, I give up... Your all win! Goodbye!

you don't have to give up... a lot of your posts just seem on the defensive side for no reason. my saying this is coming from a nice place, honestly, but a lot of your posts make me feel like you are talking down to us and argumentative for no reason. i could be way off - it's just the "Hey! Pebbles..." way you start your posts that make me feel like i'm in trouble. like the people who only address you by name to scold you or talk down to you. i could be way off, but i figured if i felt that way others may too, so i thought i'd point it out. i almost get afraid to respond to your posts because i know i am going to get yelled at. and you may be the sweetest lady ever! its just like arrogant-ish sounding?

anywho...

to add to the thread (i am a few pages late on the responses, yay midterms) but with the semantics @12stepCheermom was talking about, i wholeheartedly agree. i may think the retirement announcements are silly, but quitting has a very negative connotation to me. to me, quitting means i am not fulfilling my commitment. i am leaving the team mid season. if you finish out the season and gracefully walk away from the sport, i think retirement is an appropriate word. the issue is lack of off season melding the different seasons all together, so june feels like you're in the middle of a season already and abandoning your team.

honestly, i think that is why so many kids feel the burnout. the lack of off season it detrimental to the sport for numerous reasons. no time for a life. no time for injuries to heal. no time for fun outside of cheer. its pays its tolls on everyone in the family and not many youth-aged kids are apt to deal with those feelings. nor should they have to. why should a 9 year old have to make "sacrifices." it just gets crazy. level 5 is one thing, but it is filtering down to the lower levels, as well. i think gyms that choose to have an offseason have much healthier and happier kids.

you don't have to give up... a lot of your posts just seem on the defensive side for no reason. my saying this is coming from a nice place, honestly, but a lot of your posts make me feel like you are talking down to us and argumentative for no reason. i could be way off - it's just the "Hey! Pebbles..." way you start your posts that make me feel like i'm in trouble. like the people who only address you by name to scold you or talk down to you. i could be way off, but i figured if i felt that way others may too, so i thought i'd point it out. i almost get afraid to respond to your posts because i know i am going to get yelled at. and you may be the sweetest lady ever! its just like arrogant-ish sounding?

anywho...

to add to the thread (i am a few pages late on the responses, yay midterms) but with the semantics @12stepCheermom was talking about, i wholeheartedly agree. i may think the retirement announcements are silly, but quitting has a very negative connotation to me. to me, quitting means i am not fulfilling my commitment. i am leaving the team mid season. if you finish out the season and gracefully walk away from the sport, i think retirement is an appropriate word. the issue is lack of off season melding the different seasons all together, so june feels like you're in the middle of a season already and abandoning your team.

honestly, i think that is why so many kids feel the burnout. the lack of off season it detrimental to the sport for numerous reasons. no time for a life. no time for injuries to heal. no time for fun outside of cheer. its pays its tolls on everyone in the family and not many youth-aged kids are apt to deal with those feelings. nor should they have to. why should a 9 year old have to make "sacrifices." it just gets crazy. level 5 is one thing, but it is filtering down to the lower levels, as well. i think gyms that choose to have an offseason have much healthier and happier kids.
When I start my post with "Hey"- which is Southern greeting for "Hi"... I believe that I am greeting you by name, additionally, I have never ever argue with any posters, but I have been unjustly accuse, attack, etc, hence the reason why I walked away... I have reasons to walk away when I am unjustly told I start post to pump up my child and a spade(for a black woman from the South, this is offensive).. I never been on any boards, where the poster, who have been called names is told by others, that there is no reason to feel slighted... That is why I gave up, because it is clear to me that we have cliques on this site... When certain posters are able to call people names and are cheer on, something is wrong! Just saying!

When I start my post with "Hey"- which is Southern greeting for "Hi"... I believe that I am greeting you by name, additionally, I have never ever argue with any posters, but I have been unjustly accuse, attack, etc, hence the reason why I walked away... I have reasons to walk away when I am unjustly told I start post to pump up my child and a spade(for a black woman from the South, this is offensive).. I never been on any boards, where the poster, who have been called names is told by others, that there is no reason to feel slighted... That is why I gave up, because it is clear to me that we have cliques on this site... When certain posters are able to call people names and are cheer on, something is wrong! Just saying!
I find you very argumentative and opinionated for someone who has had a child in cheer for only one season. That being said, you have every right to your opinion which I respect and I will respond to whether I am in agreement or not. Sometimes we just don't get the answers or responses we are looking for when we start threads, or other issues may evolve out and away from the original post, but isn't that the beauty of a forum such as this?

Back