All-Star Revolution Cheer Event

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Everyone saying to change your major from communication makes me nervous.

To me a communications degree is a degree you get when someone tells you to go to college, so you go to college. If I could do it again I would have stuck to a STEM program, an Education program (only because I was going to end up a librarian anyway) or even not have gone to college at all (if getting a degree in communications was the only alternative)

All of my friends that had the same major as me went on and got graduate degrees. I have one friend that studied broadcast journalism and is now an anchor in a major market...and he legitimately has that "news" look(We did not attend the same college). I know of other people that currently report for NBC and they majored in like History. My friend that works for PR Alvin Ailey.... sociology degree

Most success stories I know are very special cases.

So no. I don't recommend (based on what I know) that people step foot into the College of Information Science. I don't even recommend that people get a MLIS (college of info science). I only have a librarian job because of pure luck, most new graduates in my field don't have a shot in he-l

If you're going to pick this major I recommend not putting all of your eggs in one basket and be willing to accept that you may never work in the field and explore graduate opportunities

And this is something I wish someone had told me before I skipped my merry butt off to college back in 2003.

Last edited:
I HIGHLY second not graduating with a communications degree if you want to work right after college. It is a very basic degree that employers are not to impressed by anymore. I do not mean to offend anyone, but it is the truth. There are statistics that prove that this major does not have nearly the highest employment rate.

You will thank us when you are a senior in college.

Good thing after this year Ill be more than halfway done with my degree.....
You get what you put into it. With any degree. Your networking/relevant work experience will speak louder than your degree in most cases. That's what I'm finding in my job interviews. They want to know less about my education and more hard facts and examples of work I've done for clients.

I run an agency that sends teachers into homes to work with students who cannot attend school. We work very closely with school districts. My director of services has a communications degree. Prior to working for me, she worked for a medical sales company that was owned by her then-boyfriend-now-husband's father. She had envisioned herself going into event planning when graduating from college. Never happened.
We also have a part time employee. Her degree was in elementary education. No jobs available, especially for a K-6 female teacher.

I think sometimes you have to plan your major backwards. Take a good look at which jobs have higher rates of employment in the region you live or where you want to live that you can see yourself doing. Find out which majors are best for these jobs. Pick your major based on this. I wound up getting my B.A. in Linguistics and my M.A. in Speech-Language Pathology based on the fact that mom showed me an article when I was a freshman in college that there were many jobs available in speech therapy.

At least it is not a philosophy degree. The last person to get a job from their philosophy degree was your philosophy professor.
Or a music major. Dh was going to be a double major in music and philosophy until he almost failed a class he needed, so he was just a music major. While he will always be a musician, he does absolutely nothing with his music degree.

I run an agency that sends teachers into homes to work with students who cannot attend school. We work very closely with school districts. My director of services has a communications degree. Prior to working for me, she worked for a medical sales company that was owned by her then-boyfriend-now-husband's father. She had envisioned herself going into event planning when graduating from college. Never happened.
We also have a part time employee. Her degree was in elementary education. No jobs available, especially for a K-6 female teacher.

I think sometimes you have to plan your major backwards. Take a good look at which jobs have higher rates of employment in the region you live or where you want to live that you can see yourself doing. Find out which majors are best for these jobs. Pick your major based on this. I wound up getting my B.A. in Linguistics and my M.A. in Speech-Language Pathology based on the fact that mom showed me an article when I was a freshman in college that there were many jobs available in speech therapy.

Despite having chosen Library Science when I was 7 I briefly entertained the idea of getting a Masters in Social Work or Speech-Language Pathology. My mother told me h-ll no to MSLP. Shes been a SLP for 30 years. I'm not sure why, I just think she's over it and ready to retire. (She's possibly retiring this year...and then possibly doing terry... her plans for retirement got messed up when she decided to have a child 9 years after me). I don't know what prompted her to get her MSLP....her undergrad was like criminal justice maybe so me thinks she went with a field she could get hired in.

Despite having chosen Library Science when I was 7 I briefly entertained the idea of getting a Masters in Social Work or Speech-Language Pathology. My mother told me h-ll no to MSLP. Shes been a SLP for 30 years. I'm not sure why, I just think she's over it and ready to retire. (She's possibly retiring this year...and then possibly doing terry... her plans for retirement got messed up when she decided to have a child 9 years after me). I don't know what prompted her to get her MSLP....her undergrad was like criminal justice maybe so me thinks she went with a field she could get hired in.
That was one field I considered as well, Speech Language Pathology. My sister had some speech disorders and it sparked my interested in it. It's very competitive at South Carolina from what I can tell.

That was one field I considered as well, Speech Language Pathology. My sister had some speech disorders and it sparked my interested in it. It's very competitive at South Carolina from what I can tell.

My mom says that its competitive in SC because girls go to college and get a degree in Education so they can bide their time until some man marries them. However this sometimes does not work out, and they aren't quite ready to work so their natural next step is to get their Masters in Speech Language Pathology (although I get a shocking amount of SAHM in my Storytimes that tell me they have their MLIS). Once they get their degree they're forced to work...tops for a few years until Mr. Southern Man comes and marries, they pop out a few babies and viola, no more work!

Judging from the girls I know from high school that did it, and my moms steady stream of mid twenties co workers, I'd say that Mama Fran is telling no lies.

So. Consider getting your masters in it, either way you're bound to end up with a man or a job

BTW. When I was 3rd grade I faked a speech impediment ( I said I couldn't pronounce my R sound properly) so that I could be placed in speech and spend more time with my mom) It back fired and they gave me the other speech therapist. However it must've been great for her ego when she "cured me". She married and stopped working.

BTW. When I was 3rd grade I faked a speech impediment ( I said I couldn't pronounce my R sound properly) so that I could be placed in speech and spend more time with my mom) It back fired and they gave me the other speech therapist. However it must've been great for her ego when she "cured me". She married and stopped working.

I would 100% have done the same thing to hang with my mom, haha. My sister had selective mutism, which is actually more rooted in social anxiety. From about pre-k to 2nd grade she never spoke in public. Ever. The only people she would speak to were myself, my mom, her dad (my stepdad) and his parents. She wouldn't speak to any other friends or family. It was a paralyzing fear of others hearing her voice. All the while at home she was a loud and rowdy little girl. When it came time for reading tests and the like we had to record her at home reading the material and submit it to her teachers. She was in speech at school but of course never spoke in it. She saw therapists in other states that specialized in it and was put on low, low dosages of anxiety medication and eventually she started muttering words and broke out of it by about the end of 2nd grade.

All of this is so foreign to think about now considering how social she is in middle school. The topic always interested me though and I did a couple projects and informative speeches on it for class.

At least it is not a philosophy degree. The last person to get a job from their philosophy degree was your philosophy professor.

But what came first? The professor or the degree? :) I'm still trying to find out what a Political Science degree is truly good for. (Not mine, hubby's.) Best I can figure is just helping keep Sallie Mae in business.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Or a music major. Dh was going to be a double major in music and philosophy until he almost failed a class he needed, so he was just a music major. While he will always be a musician, he does absolutely nothing with his music degree.
its sad that the majors that take the most talent and skill so to speak give you nothing in return, i majored in fine art, and decided after getting my associates that it was worthless. worked in restaurants for years, then attended culinary school and am now a line cook in a high end restaurant. so in the end it worked out for me, but i always wonder where the heck id be if i continued with it.... :confused: probably broke more then anything.

My major in college is going to end up being Early Childhood Education with certification to teach Pre-K-4th. Funny enough I was actually going to to try my hand at PR or Marketing at first, but decided against that because lately it seems like everybody has been major in that lately.

Then you have my mother who was offered almost a full ride to Juilliard for Piano, turned that down for her first marriage. Ended up getting a degree in Music Education and playing Piano on the side. Now she's a drafter and hasn't been with the man she turned Juilliard for since before I was born. She's a little bitter about it but ultimately everything worked out for her. Don't even get my started on my dad who somehow works as an Applications Analyst for a large corporation and doesn't have a college degree..

I'm just hopeful that I can get through my degree and find work quickly, marriage can come after.

its sad that the majors that take the most talent and skill so to speak give you nothing in return, i majored in fine art, and decided after getting my associates that it was worthless. worked in restaurants for years, then attended culinary school and am now a line cook in a high end restaurant. so in the end it worked out for me, but i always wonder where the heck id be if i continued with it.... :confused: probably broke more then anything.
Do you like working in a restaurant? Many times throughout high school and now college I have always debated whether I want to go to school and get a degree in something or just go to culinary school. But the degrees I'm currently going for do have job prospects… so I dunno.

Back