OT Roommate Help

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 14, 2009
I usually don't take a whole thread to post my troubles, but I need some Mom/College Kid help. Plus I figured it can be a run-on when everyone else goes back to school and also needs such advice. Whenever I have these sorts of issues I usually just ask my sister (who's a former RA and therefore genetically equipped to handle this sort of thing lol), but I want a variety of opinions. Also I'm SO SPITTING MAD I could probably kick an adorable fluffy animal right now. And we can't have that..

So I have two roommates: Caiti and Harry. Caiti is possibly the best roommate ever. Case in point: yesterday was my birthday. She bought me a pizza, a cheesecake, and PENGUIN THINGS (aka a penguin cookie cutter and penguin wine key. I cried.). This is not about Caiti. This is about HARRY.

The three of us started off getting on GREAT. As time went on, it became a Caiti and I thing vs Harry. It started with simple stuff: Harry would leave dishes lying around and not clean them for DAYS. To the point Caiti would just do them herself, even after we'd cleaned around them and it was obviously JUST his dishes. We would take out the garbage and recycling, but Harry would never do it. I think to this day I've seen him do it ONCE, and in apt this small you notice when things change. Caiti and I cleaned the floors and bathroom- never seen him do it. We cleaned the kitchen floors (Surprise- we have white tiles!) and he didn't notice.

Around about 3 months ago, Harry basically moved back to Boston, only to stop in for a few days at a time if needed. It was miraculous. The apt got clean and STAYED clean. We scrubbed our bathroom top to bottom. About 2 months ago, my friend Nadine moved in temporarily. While she couldn't afford to pay us, she paid us in cleaning- she washed our floors TWICE since she came here. Cleaned the kitchen. Always did dishes. Did our ENTIRE bathroom because she cared. Took out trash and garbage. She sat around my house for 8 hours, waiting for the delivery guy to bring our new oven and fridge, and let me know how they set it up. I love her. I want her to live here. Harry's friend, by contrast, was loud, was a slob (constantly crumbs in the living room from food. Cooked stuff and left the dishes for a few days, would leave cheese and other stuff on the counter or in the fridge til it molded), as soon as she moved out, we cleaned our living room spotless which took an HOUR for a 15x15 space that's mostly taken up by furniture. She'd stuck a drink label to our glass table. It took me 20 minutes to get the SDF@%LIJV*E glue off the dang table!

Yesterday was my birthday. Caiti got me pizza. We sat and ate it, but then moved it to the kitchen. We both then ran out the door because we were running late: me to meet people for drinks/cake, her to Ren Faire. We forgot to move the pizza to the fridge. I come home and crashed. I wake up in the morning to a facebook post greeting me:

*Its amazing how many young people can go into the world not knowing simple common sense sorts of things: how to cook, how to do laundry, how to pay a bill on time, how to clean up after yourselves and NOT leave food outside so as not to attract bugs and/or mice - especially when you live in a big booty urban area like New York City. Has Gen Y been coddled this much? Its absurd. I'm ashamed to be bunched in with such a sorry group of people. /end rant*

.....I'm stunned. STUNNED. I'd like to post back on there asking if HE'S learned to do any of those things? Seriously? He's let a full garbage pail sit for DAYS- and not moved it (I was trying to see if he'd take it out. Answer was, unsurprisingly, no). The swarm of flies greeting me as I opened it suggested I should stop waiting for him to do something. He's left dishes with food encrusted to them for days. HE, TOO, HAS LEFT FOOD OUT OVERNIGHT.

So, what do I do? I'm obviously confronting him, but I need to know what to say and when. I've wanted to post things on facebook about him, but I've refrained. Because I'm an adult. I won't lie, Nadine and I have been making passive-aggressive loud comments all morning, though lol.

1. He's a dude. I keep hearing in your post, basically, we do these things without anyone asking us, why doesn't he? Answer: he's a dude. Tell him exactly what you want him to do. Have a chore list, if you must, otherwise he'll be completely oblivious. It is how guys are hardwired. I have six brothers, two male sons, and am married to a guy. I have a bit of experience in this, is what I'm saying.

2. The note he left? Not okay, obviously. I suggest that instead of passive aggressive comments, address him directly. Say exactly what you've said here: you were in a rush and didn't realize you had left it out. Apologize. Then say that you expect him to adhere to the same standards. Period. Next time he does something gross, confront him. He probably doesn't realize he's being gross. See point 1.

3. You have my complete sympathy. Thought I should add that, lol.

When he was living in Boston was it with a girlfriend or his mother? Someone must have been cleaning for him. Also, maybe, but maybe not, he's heard all of your passive agressive comments and he finally got to get one on y'all and make sure you heard it and remember it so when he next leaves his stuff out, remember the pizza incident?

When he was living in Boston was it with a girlfriend or his mother? Someone must have been cleaning for him. Also, maybe, but maybe not, he's heard all of your passive agressive comments and he finally got to get one on y'all and make sure you heard it and remember it so when he next leaves his stuff out, remember the pizza incident?
We made joking passive-aggressive comments this morning, AFTER we saw his post. I try not to act like a High School girl if I'm frustrated with something. Key word: try :p And yes, he lives with his mother when not here. Funny thing- only times I've ever seen him take out garbage was times before she visited. Not his friends- he's made messes with them and LEFT them!
1. He's a dude.

2. The note he left? Not okay, obviously. I suggest that instead of passive aggressive comments, address him directly. Say exactly what you've said here: you were in a rush and didn't realize you had left it out. Apologize. Then say that you expect him to adhere to the same standards.
1. I have guy friends. I've had boyfriends. I should KNOW that guys aren't that clean, but I forget. :D

2. That's really what I want to do. I want to do it when my roommate gets back from Ren Faire, though. That way it's a GROUP thing. I think it's just doubly annoying that not only has he NOT contributed to cleaning yet 'called me out' about leaving a pizza box- HE'S A HYPOCRITE. He's done that himself on several occasions, yet my occasional pizza box has made him go loopy. Maybe he's just mad I didn't give him a slice? Well he also didn't wish me a happy birthday, so NO PIZZA FOR HIM.

Your surprised a guy doesn't clean?? :)

Seriously though I think SarahS said it right...maybe the three of you can come up with specific expectations.

One thing we tried in college was say for the dishes, we each had a week to was dishes. It was simpler for the guy in the house to just do dishes for one week. (we all were expected to at least rinse.).

Your surprised a guy doesn't clean?? :)

Seriously though I think SarahS said it right...maybe the three of you can come up with specific expectations.

One thing we tried in college was say for the dishes, we each had a week to was dishes. It was simpler for the guy in the house to just do dishes for one week. (we all were expected to at least rinse.).
I think what we might do instead (because between Caiti and I- our work schedules are so all over the place right now they would never get done lol), is institute a bedroom rule. Whatever dishes you don't want to wash immediately you have to put in front of your bedroom door. That way you announce to the world you're lazy, and personally I think dirty dishes are just as likely to attract rodents/bugs as food. Still have food particles on them, right?

I know, I shouldn't be surprised. I'm mostly annoyed he was that childish. He's a grown adult, at least 23 years old. Grow up. My HS volleyball girls do this.

Well, we hit another snag in the fun.

I was all set to try to have a mature, calm conversation on Monday with him, when my roommate got back from Ren Faire. Now I'm all riled up again and I can't handle it..

I'm sitting in my kitchen getting a drink of water and taking care of some business with my dad on the phone. Harry is cooking. While I'm having said phone convo, Harry starts going off about how he has to do the dishes, take out the garbage/recycling and whatever first. His sister is in the kitchen with him, and they're having this adorable little passive-aggressive back-and-forth about how 'He doesn't have to do it all himself.' and 'You're not a maid.' I hung up my phone and I'm in my room shaking. I didn't say a word because I was so floored at the utter ridiculousness of it all. Like, seriously? I'm glad you're a 12 year old girl who can't say stuff like an adult.

Breathe. Honestly I'd probably explode at this point. Can you kick him out?
I'm honestly going to check to see whose name is on the lease. If it's JUST Caiti, we can. If it's all of us, there's nothing I can do :(

I calmed myself down by looking at the 'Animals' board on pinterest. Soothes the soul..

In college 5 of us lived in an appartment. 4 of us cleaned up after ourselves one didn't. We tried passive aggressive for a while and finally just put all his dirty dishes on his bed one day. He came home and was livid. The four of us stood there and told him if he didn't want it to happen again to clean up after himself.

It never happened again.

Leave it alone tonight because it would be him and his sis against you. Not fun.

I had a roommate last year who did the exact same thing. I couldn't stand it so much that it literally made me move back into my dad's house. She would always talk about how little I did around the apartment, how I never took out "my" trash or did "my" dishes so you know what I did? I took care of my individual dishes - hand washed and dried. I took care of my own trash - bought a box of kitchen size trash bags and took only mine out to the dumpster. One day one of my friends came over, noticing all the crap all over the kitchen and didn't say a word. Once we were done with dinner and were cleaning up, my roommate came home and asked if there were any leftovers. I told her that I made "my" dinner, did "my" dishes, and cleaned up "my" mess and if she ever wants leftovers of "my" food, then she better do the same. I think she was so stunned that I actually defended myself that I didn't have to ask again. :cloud9:

We had this problem in college... 4 girls, 1 of which was a ghost that did nothing but leave dishes and trash everywhere. So what did we do?... Anything she left out we put in her room. I'm talking piles and piles of dirty dishes, magazines, trash, opened mail ANYTHING she left lying around. Sure, we had to bug bomb the place a few times but why should we live in her filth... she eventually got the idea and stopped coming to the apartment all together, but by the glory of the big guy himself she cleaned up before she left!

Back