Rude Teammates?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2014
Okay, lengthy backstory. I'm a junior in high school and this is my first year cheering for high school! (I'm an allstar cheerleader as well, but I've been doing it for a while) and I made JV, and I have no problem with that because the Varsity girls are all sweet and nice and really deserved to be on Varsity.
My problem lies in the JV and Freshman team. I got back from cheer camp yesterday and I had so much fun! Apart from being treated like crap from girls on the JV and Freshman team. We were at lunch and I told the girls I was glad we didn't have to do our camp dance so much anymore and another girl, Kaitlyn, said that we were gonna do it 2 times a week. Me, not knowing this, just said ohh, okay! And I was glad it wasn't 150 million times a day anymore. And she went on to say that I was a terrible cheerleader and knew nothing about cheerleading, and shouldn't have ever tried out. I told her, rather nicely, to please stop being rude to me. And I got the b**** response, you know the one, "ooo no. nuh uh" and Kaitlyn goes on to tell me that she's been a cheerleader all her life and deserved to be here more. (She originally only made the Freshman team because she's a freshman but two girls had to leave the team because of grades, which would have left us with 5 girls, so they got moved up)
I had a few more times with these girls a few more times at camp. And my question is, What should I do? (Thanks!)

Okay, lengthy backstory. I'm a junior in high school and this is my first year cheering for high school! (I'm an allstar cheerleader as well, but I've been doing it for a while) and I made JV, and I have no problem with that because the Varsity girls are all sweet and nice and really deserved to be on Varsity.
My problem lies in the JV and Freshman team. I got back from cheer camp yesterday and I had so much fun! Apart from being treated like crap from girls on the JV and Freshman team. We were at lunch and I told the girls I was glad we didn't have to do our camp dance so much anymore and another girl, Kaitlyn, said that we were gonna do it 2 times a week. Me, not knowing this, just said ohh, okay! And I was glad it wasn't 150 million times a day anymore. And she went on to say that I was a terrible cheerleader and knew nothing about cheerleading, and shouldn't have ever tried out. I told her, rather nicely, to please stop being rude to me. And I got the b**** response, you know the one, "ooo no. nuh uh" and Kaitlyn goes on to tell me that she's been a cheerleader all her life and deserved to be here more. (She originally only made the Freshman team because she's a freshman but two girls had to leave the team because of grades, which would have left us with 5 girls, so they got moved up)
I had a few more times with these girls a few more times at camp. And my question is, What should I do? (Thanks!)
Just don't feed into their negativity. If they know that you've done all-stars, they might feel insecure around around you because you likely have a high skill level than they do. Also, don't feel bad about not being familiar with every aspect of high school cheer. Varsity's website has a lot of info.

Unfortunately, some scholastic cheer teams have their share of rude people. Try socializing more with the Varsity girls.

Wow, welcome to Fierceboard... While reading your post, only thing that kept coming to mind is JEALOUS! This girl is so jealous that she cannot contain herself and must attack you, hoping that you will quit, so she will be the Queen Bee on the squad. This girl based on what you told us, she really did not make the team because of her skills, but because by default, so she is responding out of insecurity and I will tell you to 'kill her with kindness.' Since Kaitlyn mentioned that she has been a cheerleader all of her life, bombard her with questions and treat her as an expert in the area of School Cheer. Even if you know a skill, seek her out anyway and ask for advice, pretend that you want confirmation that you are doing it correctly. What I learned, it is hard for people to be rude and mean, when someone is seeking them out for help but make sure your questions does not sound condescending to Kaitlyn...Good Luck and have fun!

My Dad says you will have to deal with people like this your whole life. Unless you never leave the house. She is most likely miserable in life to begin with. Be pleasant and know you won't have to deal with her your whole life!

Kindness and confidence. Be friendly, but you don't have to be her best friend. Seek out other friends and try to stay away from her when you can. Be confident in your own abilities and thoughts and let her be rude. Once you reach high school, rude gets you noticed for the wrong reasons.

Just focus on yourself (work on your skills to move up to varsity next year) and don't take anything she says seriously. If she says something mean, just shrug, smile and walk away , because her words don't mean two cents in the long run. That is her own issue to work on. Literally just find what you love, be confident, and be happy. It will drive her crazy because she clearly isn't happy. That 8th grade - 9th grade age group is still very insecure and many girls are at the height of their "mean girl" phase. I am not sure what her home life is like, but people who feel the need to put others down generally have issues elsewhere that they need to compensate for/feel in control of (whether at home, at school, personal insecurities, etc.). No matter what she says, KNOW that you earned a spot on that team for being YOU. No changes necessary. In the end, it is between you & what you learn from cheerleading to help you in life. When you are out of HS, college, etc. you will remember all the things you loved & you will realize that her opinion never mattered at all.

"I am thankful for the difficult people in my life. They have shown me exactly who I don't want to be"

Last edited:
My Dad says you will have to deal with people like this your whole life. Unless you never leave the house. She is most likely miserable in life to begin with. Be pleasant and know you won't have to deal with her your whole life!
My parents used to tell me this all the time, but I didn't really realize how true this was until I started working with 25+ year olds. They bicker about snapchat and facebook like 13 year olds. It really is true.

Focus on what YOU want to do. Show up to practice, do your job, and always be friendly. That's about all you can do!

Can you approach the Coach in private and just make her aware of the situation.

Can you approach the Coach in private and just make her aware of the situation.
Hey Kris, you know I love you Girl, Right! But I have to disagree with the 'Approach the Coach' move, why you might ask? Well I think, Kaitlyn's attitude has not reached the level that affects the whole team and it is mostly a personal situation that FierceSnaps should handle on her own and having the Coach squash this beef at this point, may get FierceSnaps labeled a 'whiny baby' and worse, will open it up for the team to side with the Insecure Kaitelyn...

PS: Believe me, I work and have spent the last 10+ years around girls, in this age group, and "trust and believe" something so small can quickly be blown up simply because the new girl (sure, she is right) brings in the big guns too early...

Side note: If FierceSnaps came to me about this situation, I will simply consult her on best strategies that will help her to handle it on her own, first!...

Last edited:
I see your point. Just think it is good for the adults to be aware. I do not think the coach needs to get involved at this point, but think being aware of the situation is good. There are times when mean comments can quickly turn into bullying and get out of control.

P.S. I am always for agreeing to disagree! I will never give a negative dislike for that! LOL I only dislike comments I perceive as mean gossip or rude bullying.

Hey Kris, you know I love you Girl, Right! But I have to disagree with the 'Approach the Coach' move, why you might ask? Well I think, Kaitlyn's attitude has not reached the level that affects the whole team and it is mostly a personal situation that FierceSnaps should handle on her own and having the Coach squash this beef at this point, may get FierceSnaps labeled a 'whiny baby' and worse, will open it up for the team to side with the Insecure Kaitelyn...

PS: Believe me, I work and have spent the last 10+ years around girls, in this age group, and "trust and believe" something so small can quickly be blown up simply because the new girl (sure, she is right) brings in the big guns too early...

Side note: If FierceSnaps came to me about this situation, I will simply consult her on best strategies that will help her to handle it on her own, first!...

Back