High School Running

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2016
I'm currently re-evaluating everything we did last season and looking at how to improve, so...

Do your cheerleaders run? And if they do, are they timed?

I'm not a huge fan of plain running for cheerleaders, since interval training is much more suited to what they do. Having said that, we do jog as a warm-up before each practice (2 laps around the school which is about 3/4 of a mile). There was no timing involved, I only encouraged the girls to challenge themselves to do better each time. Unfortunately, we had several who never were able to jog the whole thing; they always walked part of it. And I don't think they ever pushed themselves to walk less each time - but I had no way of proving that.

We only used it as a warm up, so it doesn't seem overly important. But on the other hand, I am trying to help them improve as athletes, which includes better cardio performance. So having them set goals and beat that seems like something I should focus on.

Thoughts?

I'm currently re-evaluating everything we did last season and looking at how to improve, so...

I'm not a huge fan of plain running for cheerleaders, since interval training is much more suited to what they do. Having said that, we do jog as a warm-up before each practice (2 laps around the school which is about 3/4 of a mile). There was no timing involved, I only encouraged the girls to challenge themselves to do better each time. Unfortunately, we had several who never were able to jog the whole thing; they always walked part of it. And I don't think they ever pushed themselves to walk less each time - but I had no way of proving that.

We only used it as a warm up, so it doesn't seem overly important. But on the other hand, I am trying to help them improve as athletes, which includes better cardio performance. So having them set goals and beat that seems like something I should focus on.

Thoughts?

We have completely changed our mindset towards conditioning this year. I've learned from some coaching resources what a great team building tool conditioning can be.

We run individual timed miles. We run team timed miles. We do body weight strength exercises. We do limited weight training in a small fitness room just off our practice area. The thing that has quickly become my favorite, and I think my kids like it too, is sprinting. If you would like to know some of the drills we use to put a team building spin on it, PM me.

ETA: I forgot to mention, we do all of this as a reward when they do great things. "That stunt hit? Sweet! Down and back, GO!" You'd be very surprised to see how hard kids will work for any reward, even conditioning.

I would suggest running it's great conditioning.

I would also suggest the girls do track during off season it keeps them in shape.

I am a supporter of running as a conditioning tool, but have a huge issue with coaches allowing athletes to run in cheer shoes. Make sure if you are incorporating regular running into your conditioning program that you require your athletes to wear a good running sneaker.

We ran as conditioning often during the summer months. Usually around the football field. We would do a lap, then a lap yelling our cheer. Then another lap, then another cheer lap. This was several years ago when our cheers were a minute long and in the middle of the routines, so being well conditioned and able to still yell at that part of the routine was very important.

Long distance running is virtually useless as a training tool for a competitive cheer routine.

Any kind of steady-state cardio is going to have limited cheer benefit as it only taxes the body's aerobic energy system. Cheerleading routines are anaerobic activities. In order to tax the anaerobic systems, you have to do anaerobic activities.

Research suggests a crossover benefit from anaerobic to aerobic (i.e., someone who does anaerobic training will become a better distance runner. However, there has been shown to be little to no crossover benefit in the other direction.

I am a supporter of running as a conditioning tool, but have a huge issue with coaches allowing athletes to run in cheer shoes. Make sure if you are incorporating regular running into your conditioning program that you require your athletes to wear a good running sneaker.

This! My cp has had coaches that wouldn't let them because "your cheer shoes are fine". Um, no, they are not!

Long distance running is virtually useless as a training tool for a competitive cheer routine.

Any kind of steady-state cardio is going to have limited cheer benefit as it only taxes the body's aerobic energy system. Cheerleading routines are anaerobic activities. In order to tax the anaerobic systems, you have to do anaerobic activities.

Research suggests a crossover benefit from anaerobic to aerobic (i.e., someone who does anaerobic training will become a better distance runner. However, there has been shown to be little to no crossover benefit in the other direction.

This is ultimately the reason why this past year we only really ran as a warm-up. Our conditioning centered around body weight training and interval style conditioning. I hadn't thought of sprinting though...

This is ultimately the reason why this past year we only really ran as a warm-up. Our conditioning centered around body weight training and interval style conditioning. I hadn't thought of sprinting though...

The tabata protocol is truly the closest thing to a cheerleading routine that I've found. Tabata, et al prescribed a four-minute ultra high intensity interval training protocol. Subjects performed 20 seconds of ALL OUT effort, followed by 10 seconds of complete rest for 8 rounds (four minutes total).

The fitness industry has taken the protocol and pansied it up real good. When most personal trainers tell you to do "some tabatas" they mean run for 20 seconds then walk for 10 seconds. What Tabata had in mind was ALL OUT effort. How "all out?" Well the test subjects were highly trained collegiate athletes (soccer players, I believe). Most of them managed to finish one, but could not make it through the second one a few minutes later.

I feel like running while saying the cheer reminded our girls to breathe, use their diaphragms, and overall in a way prepped them for going full out with words. They hated it but they were definitely the loudest team in the building come comp day.

Thoughts?
We start every practice with a timed mile. The first week of practice is my evaluation week where I determine the starting maximum time. If you don't make it back in the maximum time, you have to run another mile at the end of practice after the team conditioning. The time drops as the season progresses, so they have to keep pushing themselves to get faster. Once football season starts, I switch it up a little. I determine a minimum time and if you make it back under the minimum time you don't have to run again the next day, the minimum time drops as they get faster too. Extra incentive to run as hard as you can so you get a day off.

I do love sprints though! We do those every few practices instead of the mile.

We start every practice with a timed mile. The first week of practice is my evaluation week where I determine the starting maximum time. If you don't make it back in the maximum time, you have to run another mile at the end of practice after the team conditioning. The time drops as the season progresses, so they have to keep pushing themselves to get faster. Once football season starts, I switch it up a little. I determine a minimum time and if you make it back under the minimum time you don't have to run again the next day, the minimum time drops as they get faster too. Extra incentive to run as hard as you can so you get a day off.

I do love sprints though! We do those every few practices instead of the mile.

I think you would like our Positive Conditioning approach. I do not know who/where you are, but I get the impression you have been as successful as I have been.

I am a huge supporter of running. But I agree that cheer shoes are not running shoes. If you are having your athletes run, they MUST have running shoes. I tore up the bottoms of my feet running in nfinitys.

Personally, I run 5-9 times a week, alternating between short distance (5 miles), long distance (8-12 miles) and intervals( 3 miles jogging then 3 miles alternating between spring and walk) You could have your athletes start every practice with a 2 mile run and require them to come in under 22 minutes. This will help build their cardio, and 2 miles is short enough so they will still be able to practice after. After 1 month, require them to come in under 18 minutes.

For conditioning, you can do sprints if you have a track available. Relay sprints are fun because most athletes are competitive and want to win. Line them up in teams of 4 and have each kid run up and down the long side of the track and tag their teammate. Winning team gets a little something at the end of practice. Losing teams all have to run another lap.

I feel like that distance running wouldn't be that effective for cheer, instead a 2.30 sprint or interval training would be better. Cheer routines don't go for 1 hour so it seems pointless slow jogging. Because cheer is like sprinting (short time, all out).

I think you would like our Positive Conditioning approach. I do not know who/where you are, but I get the impression you have been as successful as I have been.
I'm always into learning new ideas and approaches to things. Even if just to switch it up and keep it interesting!

Back