All-Star Scholarship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 17, 2014
My cheerleading gym is giving away a scholarship, and I have to write an essay to qualify. I have NO idea on how to set this essay up. I do really good with outlines but I'm not sure where to start. The question is pretty broad, "What does being a cheerleader mean to me" is basically the topic. I would really appreciate any help I can get!

My cheerleading gym is giving away a scholarship, and I have to write an essay to qualify. I have NO idea on how to set this essay up. I do really good with outlines but I'm not sure where to start. The question is pretty broad, "What does being a cheerleader mean to me" is basically the topic. I would really appreciate any help I can get!

I am going to say this as someone has raised a major amount of money towards our gym's annual senior scholarship. The answer can only can come from you!! Maybe I can answer your question with a question "What has cheerleading taught you?"

As far as an outline Cheer Dad gave you a great start look at specific areas since it is so broad, like: What has it taught me, where has it taken me, where do I want it to take me, where would I be without it, how and why is my life different now because I started cheer, etc. When you start answering those questions you'll find the ones that mean the most to you and you can go from there. Good luck.

Try to think of 2-3 really key points you's like to express then come from your personal experiences and experience at your gym!

When I thought about your broad question- What does being a cheerleader mean to me? I like what @CheerDad18 said and I will add, what are some important goals and achievements that you accomplished due to your involvement in cheerleading...This could be anything from time management, ability to multi-task because of your involvement in cheerleading, leadership skills, conflict resolution skills, etc.. Overall, how have you grown as a person because of your involvement in this sport and write details of incidents that the scholarship board can be floored by and say, "Wow"!!!

If you keep it to under 1000 words a possible outline could look like this:

Introduction Paragraphs
Introduce who you are, what teams you've been on, a bit about yourself and your education goals or what you're going on to do

3-4 Paragraphs explaining 3-4 Main points
These would answer the questions that other posters have suggested such as what cheer has taught you or meant to you, lessons learned, what you've accomplished, how you envision it impacting your future (key take-aways), etc.

Conclusion Paragraphs
Sum up your 3-4 main points in a succinct paragraph. Make sure you include a thank you for the opportunity of applying for the scholarship and how it will assist you in pursing your academic goals.

Back