High School School/allstar Crossover Policy?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 13, 2015
I go to a public school, and they just changed coaching a couple years ago for both our JV and Varsity squads. This new coach put in a policy that doesn't let Allstar athletes try out for our school's teams. I just wanted to know, do any other school's have a policy like this? Or is mine the only one?

I go to a public school, and they just changed coaching a couple years ago for both our JV and Varsity squads. This new coach put in a policy that doesn't let Allstar athletes try out for our school's teams. I just wanted to know, do any other school's have a policy like this? Or is mine the only one?
Other school's have this. In states like Illinois it's statewide.

Weve actually had issues with this and are thinking of ways to handle this. We suffer at our school practices because we have two girls always at all star practice.
I was informed there is a rule in place where all-star gyms per usasf have to allow all star athletes to let school cheer take priority. Is this true ?

I've never heard of a rule like this. My high school squad has had girls from all- star teams actually I don't think I've ever been on a school team without at least one all star girl.

If it is a state rule, there is no recourse. If it is a coach rule, you may be able to appeal to the coach, athletic director, principal, superintendent, school board…

Weve actually had issues with this and are thinking of ways to handle this. We suffer at our school practices because we have two girls always at all star practice.
I was informed there is a rule in place where all-star gyms per usasf have to allow all star athletes to let school cheer take priority. Is this true ?
We are in New Hampshire and CP was told that she could do both but per state rules school has to be first.

I'm pretty sure that's a rule in Maine as decided by the MPA. It goes for all school sports and their club counterparts that no school sport related event is allowed to be skipped for a club commitment. I've never heard of anyone at any school in Maine being allowed to miss any kind of school cheer thing whether it be practice or girls basketball game or whatever for all star cheer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up until now, you could do both and there were no rules about school taking precedence over all star. We had 2 girls missing from one local HS comp because they had an all star comp the same weekend. Not sure if things will be different this season since cheer is now a sport in NYS, but from what I'm understanding it is still considered a "club" for fall and then a "sport" for the winter season when they compete.

We have a few kids that do HS and one of our I5 members is a coach. Our AS coach works it out for the coaching one for 1 of the comps to have a sub for the first day. As long as everyone is flexible it works.

As far as my knowledge of Florida schools in my area, almost every girl that does school also does all-stars. My county doesn't compete but the surrounding counties do.

Our program of 46 girls has one all-star cheerleader. She is allowed to be on both teams because there are no conflicts. We have strong rec programs and a handful of girls have left their allstar gyms to cheer for high school.

Back