Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nether

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • College Cheer

• Middle School Cheer

• Total voters
This question doesn't go down well on the boards, they are both hard and if you say one's easier, then the other party gets annoyed. Be careful.

Are they even comparable? I would say the overall time commitment, virtually year round, of all star makes it more difficult.

**I love you, you love me, we're a happy family....**

Are they even comparable? I would say the overall time commitment, virtually year round, of all star makes it more difficult.

High school cheer, by default, requires more time commitment.

(This is a general rant on some of what I've heard on this topic, so please for give the length and intensity)

Allstar cheerleaders only have to worry about a competition routine. High school cheerleaders have to worry about a competition routine, new halftime routines every week, TONS of sideline chants (I'm talking as many as close to 100, with some schools having to master several UCA-style crowd leading cheers are 1 minute long and involve the use of poms, signs, flags, banners, stunts, jumps, motions, and tumbling), pep rally routines, community events, public appearances (for some teams), charity work, and fundraising for team expenses. This leaves many high school teams with 8-11 month long seasons.

On top of that, what many all star cheerleaders (and parents) don't realize is that since their child does allstar, he/she trains in an environment in which everyone (from the all star director to the tiny team coach) is working for their benefit. Many of them don't understand the struggle of having to fight for the ability to fundraise, or being made last priority (the football team already has new helmets but let's get them brand new fancy ones just for state instead for buying shoes for the cheerleaders that they have been begging for for months), and that no matter how many titles you win at competitions and no matter how hard you work, you are always "just cheerleaders". If the school has to make cuts to its athletic budget, the cheerleaders are the first to go, even if they have more championship titles than anyone else. And if the school tries to eliminate another team before the cheerleaders, parents get upset, because in their heads, cheerleaders are at the bottom of the totem pole and worthless.

Not to mention the fact that your hard work is constantly dismissed by other people within your sport.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people say "hs cheer vs competitive cheer", as if completely disregarding the fact that HS cheerleaders compete (not bashing you OP, I just notice this a lot).

PLD has only 3 weeks off from cheer (last time I checked). In the month before States, they practice 27 hours a week. Greenup County's cheerleaders practice 5-7 days a week to get ready for Nationals, and they too have a year-round season. Try telling a PLD or GCHS cheerleader that they don't work hard. I dare you (again, not trying to bash... this topic just hits a nerve with me).

**with a great big hug, and a kiss from me to youuu**

Last edited:
I'm not saying difficulty or what is needed to be learned is less difficult. I agree that HS cheer is hard, but in my area we basically have 2 cheer seasons with only a few competitions mixed in to the 3 month season and our cheerleaders are not required to do both seasons. Over all the time commitment here is not the same as all stars. The travel requirements are also not comparable.

Again, never said HS teams don't work hard because they do so don't mistake that statement.

High school cheer and all star cheer are two separate things and can't really be compared. It's like saying is soccer or rugby harder? They're different.

I'm not saying difficulty or what is needed to be learned is less difficult. I agree that HS cheer is hard, but in my area we basically have 2 cheer seasons with only a few competitions mixed in to the 3 month season and our cheerleaders are not required to do both seasons. Over all the time commitment here is not the same as all stars. The travel requirements are also not comparable.

Again, never said HS teams don't work hard because they do so don't mistake that statement.

Sorry about that. Ill admit, I ranted a little too much (but I see the claims that I complained about being pushed all the time, so it's frustrating and tends to hit a nerve with me).

For the OP:
All-star generally requires more travel time (and the higher your level, the more this is true), and whether one type involves more overall time commitment depends on the area in which you live. An area with a very strong all-star cheer culture (but a much weaker HS cheer culture) will see all-star demanding more of a time commitment. In areas with strong HS cheer culture and weaker AS cheer culture, it's the opposite.

**with a great big hug, and a kiss from me to youuu**

Back