OT School Start Times/open Lunch

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm assuming that's for football, which makes sense, but what about other sports? My kids would not have time to play sports and do homework if we got out that late.
Soccer and volleyball games can be any day of the week, same with basketball games.. for basketball JV goes first (the game usually started at 6 like football) and Varsity played right after them. I'm not sure about baseball but I believe their games are usually Thursday or Friday. Lacrosse the games are also any day of the week (my brother plays) and start any time from 5-7. Swimming and diving if Im right are also any day of the week.

Its strict for our area because many schools don't have rules against it or aren't enforced
Really? Our entire county is so strict about dress code, no tanks tops, no shorts, no short dresses, no bandaid/body con skirts, no leggings, no yoga pants (that one's not really enforced), no sagging pants, no tanks for boys, no half tops or bare midriffs, shoulder blades must be covered, no excessive cleavage...

Some are more strictly enforced than others, but overall, they will ask you to change

HS in Florida is 9-12 grade. HS starts first, at least in most areas of Florida that I am aware of, anywhere between 7:15-7:30 am. HS dismisses about 2:25. Elementary School is K-5, and starts in between HS and Middle School times (varying times, depending on the school - from 8 am-8:45 am, usually dismisses between 2:15-2:45) Middle School is 6-8 grades and starts about 9-9:10 am, and dismisses about 3:50. All schools are dismissed an hour earlier every Wed. Every school that I know of, elem, middle, HS has about 30 mins for lunch. At my kids HS they are not allowed to leave for lunch, and I am perfectly happy with that- to me, that just opens the door for things to happen. Although, there are programs kids may leave campus for - dual enrollment classes, jobs, but they don't usually return once they leave for the day unless they are coming back for sports practice, tutoring.

Sports in my high school were all roughly the same, school got out at 2:30 and practices started around 2:45-3 and ended between 5:30-6. Games and meets during the week and on fridays all usually started between 4:30-7:30 depending on the sport. Also if it was a game during the week we had to travel for (farthest was 1.5 hours) we would get out of school early to travel)

-L

Soccer and volleyball games can be any day of the week, same with basketball games.. for basketball JV goes first (the game usually started at 6 like football) and Varsity played right after them. I'm not sure about baseball but I believe their games are usually Thursday or Friday. Lacrosse the games are also any day of the week (my brother plays) and start any time from 5-7. Swimming and diving if Im right are also any day of the week.
So you must have lights on your lax and baseball fields then? I can only imagine how expensive that must be!! I can think of maybe 5 schools around here who have lights on all their fields.

So you must have lights on your lax and baseball fields then? I can only imagine how expensive that must be!! I can think of maybe 5 schools around here who have lights on all their fields.
Yes, we have lights on all our fields. Our school is in the rich area of town so they put most the money towards athletics

high school #1 i attended - we were allowed to leave campus no matter what the grade, we were however only allowed to stay within the great hall areas and not allowed in the hallways what so ever as classes were still going on
grade 9&11 would have the same lunch break and grade 10&12 would share have the same this was to ensure there was a good enough age range in the cafe at all times and it did work fairly well, if you had a spare or study period you were only allowed in the cafe, or in the library and no sitting in the hall
- start time - 9:15 ended at 3:15 i believe (best time to start and end) lunch was about an 1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes with 4 classes

High school #2 i attended closed campus nobody allowed on or off whatsoever and everybody had the same lunch period (it was dreadful) lunch was 40 minutes with 6 classes
- start time - 8:12-3ish monday, tuesday and friday wednesday we started at 9

and finally high school #3 we had 3 lunch periods (so depending on what classes you had you may or may not have had lunch with friends) we were allowed to leave for lunch but were not allowed to roam the halls and were confined to the cafe, great hall, library, or any open classroom with a teacher present.
- start time - 8:30-2:30 - lunch was about an hour with 4 classes

high school #1 i attended - we were allowed to leave campus no matter what the grade, we were however only allowed to stay within the great hall areas and not allowed in the hallways what so ever as classes were still going on
grade 9&11 would have the same lunch break and grade 10&12 would share have the same this was to ensure there was a good enough age range in the cafe at all times and it did work fairly well, if you had a spare or study period you were only allowed in the cafe, or in the library and no sitting in the hall
- start time - 9:15 ended at 3:15 i believe (best time to start and end) lunch was about an 1 hour 15 minutes - 1 hour 30 minutes with 4 classes

High school #2 i attended closed campus nobody allowed on or off whatsoever and everybody had the same lunch period (it was dreadful) lunch was 40 minutes with 6 classes
- start time - 8:12-3ish monday, tuesday and friday wednesday we started at 9

and finally high school #3 we had 3 lunch periods (so depending on what classes you had you may or may not have had lunch with friends) we were allowed to leave for lunch but were not allowed to roam the halls and were confined to the cafe, great hall, library, or any open classroom with a teacher present.
- start time - 8:30-2:30 - lunch was about an hour with 4 classes
You went to three high schools!? :eek: was it hard??

You went to three high schools!? :eek: was it hard??
lol yeah grade nine for the first one, 10&11 for the second, and grade 12 for the last. it was hard at the time because my first high school i was in love with the sports were great and i had really amazing friends but my dad got the opportunity to move from a super small town (penetanguishene try and pronouce that one ;) ) to california for two years, at the time i hated him and my family for the first six months we lived there and got really depressed and was diagnosed with epilepsy, but after the new year i realized that i was completely stupid wasting so much time and energy being upset over something kids would die for so i just bucked up took some tumbling classes decided to do cheerleading again and had an fantastic year and a half then all our visas expired so back to canada we went where i went to my 3rd high school which was only an hour away from my first one where i actually ended up knowing somebody who i met at a party in grade nine and became best friends with (talk about weird coincidences). and thus 3 high schools

sorry for the life story but long story short it was extremely hard at the time but i do not regret going to any of them because i was able to take away so much from each school and it only made me a stronger person in the long run :)

When I was in high school (in northern VA) we started at 7:20 and ended at 1:50, I think my senior year they changed it to 7:30-2 but I'm not sure. We had 25 minutes to eat lunch, which is nowhere near enough time and it was definitely closed. We had security people at every exit of the school the whole day to make sure people wouldn't leave. My school had almost 3000 kids, split in to 4 lunch periods, means a lot of people trying to get food at once. Granted we had two cafeterias, one on the first floor, one on the second, there was still like no time to eat. There were several times where I would be in line and get my food as the bell rang. It sucked lol. The only special privilege seniors got was their own little lounge in the cafeteria that probably held about 30-40 people. So, I guess I have no sympathy for people trying to have open lunches as my school was very strict about it and we survived.

Our Highschool does not allow students to leave for lunch.
School stars at 8:00 am for Middle and High School, and ends at 2:30.
Elementary starts at 9:10 and ends at 3:40.
Lunch is 30 minutes at Middle and High school and for Middle its seperated by grade. For High school its seperated by whoever you have for 4th period or something.
For Elementary, Its the whole school eating at the same time. (very small elementary schools) and its was like 1 hour long (you ate for 3o min and had recess right after for 30 more minutes).

Back