"scouting"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 14, 2011
This may be a no brainer but do coaches in cheerleading do this too? I was at the NCAA tournament today and the coaches for one team were watching two other teams play, taking notes on their potential competition. Do cheerleading coaches travel to competitions where their own teams aren't even competing to "scout out" the competition? It makes sense but as touchy as some people in this industry seem to be I can see it being frowned upon....

This may be a no brainer but do coaches in cheerleading do this too? I was at the NCAA tournament today and the coaches for one team were watching two other teams play, taking notes on their potential competition. Do cheerleading coaches travel to competitions where their own teams aren't even competing to "scout out" the competition? It makes sense but as touchy as some people in this industry seem to be I can see it being frowned upon....

My gym (located in the Midwest) doesnt compete at Cheersport, NCA Dallas, WSF Indy or Jamfest Indy. I went to WSF and Jamfest this year in Indy as a spectator. I went for a variety of reason. One, I was meeting several other friends/coaches that were also going as spectators. Two, I wanted to see teh Small Limited Coed division to see how my team would measure up. I didnt take notes, but I did mentally remember teams to watch out for, etc for bid events later in the season. Furthermore, I watched ALL the level 5's so, again, I would know what we would need to do for bid season. I do think that "scouting" in a sense of taking notes and videos, etc is a bit extreme, I do think its okay to scout. To be honest, I like to go to out of towns just to watch because its stress free as far as I dont have a team performing and I can just sit back and enjoy the show. And I like to get drinks the night before with coaches :)

Back