High School Seniors On Jv?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Seniors should be put on JV?

• Total voters
There are people in my program that have made varsity freshman or sophomore year, but then get put on JV junior and senior year. It's kinda sad but what are you going to do :/

The school I'm cheering for this year cut several seniors because their skill level wasn't high enough. It does help bring the overall skill level of the squad up.

I do agree that competition squad will be more appreciative of your tumbling and jumps. Make the best of the game squad, and show your coaches that you are working extra hard on your motions.
:)

Wait let me specify, this is the football season squad assignments, which do not roll over into competition.

This is the varsity requirement sheet they gave us.
Screenshot2011-06-12at35458PM.png

I know how you feel last year I had some of the best tumbling and made jv because of my motions.
I think you should have definitley been put on varsity because motions are an easy thing to fix and you had all the tumbling requirements. I thinks seniors should be on varsity.

I would like to add that this is a problem in my program also. There is severe favoritism for seniors. At tryouts this year we had 5 guys try out. From the sole fact that they were guys, they made it. Now they also had 4 incoming sophomores (who definatly deserved it) make varsity. But there are around 7 or 8 junior and seniors who have very little tumbling and not so great jumps who honestly shouldnt have made it. So now there are 30 people on varsity when the legal number is 24 i believe. Who's not going to even see the mat come competition? Those sophomore that deserve it. Its a horrible situation this year. Im thankful in on JV. I hope your season turns out better than ours is looking to.

The school I coach at now has it so that Seniors are only allowed to be on Varsity. I don't think that's right because then they either have to make the team or they don't make it at all. I think they should at least be able to do JV because you can really improve a lot with just 1 season and who knows they might make the competition team the following season or realize they like it so much that they want to try it in college. I just think that your grade shouldn't have to reflect on what team you make.

If a cheerleader has the body control to tumble, often times they have the body control to be able to fix a simple motion problem. I would never keep a tumbler down on a lower level because of something like motions! (Attitude is another story though!;))

As for IHSA rules in Illinois, juniors and seniors may be put on a competitive JV sports team because they do not compete in state series.

Oh some other facts, I have never been on varsity, I still came to try out every year (all four) and only made it two years (sophomore, and senior), last year I had a BHS but it was crooked. Last year I also only had a roundoff STOP BHS because I had a block. This year I have my standing tuck and roundoff BHS tuck, and I throw layouts but don't always land them. There is no right or wrong answer to what team I should be placed on, but me as a senior, what do you think? Would you hold me on JV for motion technique? (I just want to see what people think, I am not in any way saying my coaches are wrong by doing so).

I would like to add that this is a problem in my program also. There is severe favoritism for seniors. At tryouts this year we had 5 guys try out. From the sole fact that they were guys, they made it. Now they also had 4 incoming sophomores (who definatly deserved it) make varsity. But there are around 7 or 8 junior and seniors who have very little tumbling and not so great jumps who honestly shouldnt have made it. So now there are 30 people on varsity when the legal number is 24 i believe. Who's not going to even see the mat come competition? Those sophomore that deserve it. Its a horrible situation this year. Im thankful in on JV. I hope your season turns out better than ours is looking to.

For football season cheer in Illinois there is no limit on how many people are on the team. For competition the roster limit is currently 24 but there is talk of expanding it.

First I would like to say I would never put a senior on JV. If they are at that skill level I will cut them. Reason being is that you only have one more year as a senior and being on JV isn't going to help you get the skills to be on Varsity. I would also like to add that you can put Seniors on JV in Illinois there is no restriction on that.

The school I coach at now has it so that Seniors are only allowed to be on Varsity. I don't think that's right because then they either have to make the team or they don't make it at all. I think they should at least be able to do JV because you can really improve a lot with just 1 season and who knows they might make the competition team the following season or realize they like it so much that they want to try it in college. I just think that your grade shouldn't have to reflect on what team you make.

I disagree with this. If you are senior you have most likely cheered for at least 3 years previous. If your skills are not at varsity level at this point why would they be there by competition season rolls around. And if your argument is that you can improve a lot in a short period of time, wouldnt the girls on varsity also be improving? Your most likely going to always be behind. Unless you are a "bubble girl". I think if you are on that bubble you obviously could improve enough to be on Varsity in that short period. Thats why with my squad we usually keep those bubble girls on varsity. What we look for when making a team is a big drop of in scores thats where we make our cut.

I disagree with this. If you are senior you have most likely cheered for at least 3 years previous. If your skills are not at varsity level at this point why would they be there by competition season rolls around. And if your argument is that you can improve a lot in a short period of time, wouldnt the girls on varsity also be improving? Your most likely going to always be behind. Unless you are a "bubble girl". I think if you are on that bubble you obviously could improve enough to be on Varsity in that short period. Thats why with my squad we usually keep those bubble girls on varsity. What we look for when making a team is a big drop of in scores thats where we make our cut.
I have had many of seniors that want to give it a try and have never cheered before and yes they aren't great at first or they do have that natural talent but most of them have gone and now cheer at college. Just because your a senior doesn't mean that you have done this before. I just think that there shouldn't be any grade restriction for high school sports, if your in high school then you should be able to be put on any level. Even if the senior isn't great and they are JV material I think putting them on JV to have that high school cheer experience that they want is better than cutting them all together if they have decent skills.

I also had a girl this past season that never cheered before and she was a senior and I put her on varsity just because she would of been the only girl to get cut and she turned out to be my best flyer and cheerleader on the team and at tryouts she was the worst one. It all depends on the person but I have seen this happen many of times.

I have had many of seniors that want to give it a try and have never cheered before and yes they aren't great at first or they do have that natural talent but most of them have gone and now cheer at college. Just because your a senior doesn't mean that you have done this before. I just think that there shouldn't be any grade restriction for high school sports, if your in high school then you should be able to be put on any level. Even if the senior isn't great and they are JV material I think putting them on JV to have that high school cheer experience that they want is better than cutting them all together if they have decent skills.

I also had a girl this past season that never cheered before and she was a senior and I put her on varsity just because she would of been the only girl to get cut and she turned out to be my best flyer and cheerleader on the team and at tryouts she was the worst one. It all depends on the person but I have seen this happen many of times.

Maybe your JV squad isnt a competitive squad thats why we have different points of view. For our school our JV squad is competitive and are there to improve and win. Our JV squad is intended to get people prepared to be on Varsity. Therefore if we do not foresee a person having enough skill to be on varsity in the near future we cut them because we do not want to waste a JV position.

Back