High School Seniors With No Work Ethic

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 11, 2011
As all high school coaches know, seniors will be seniors. Also, any team will have your kids who feel they are entitled. I currently have 2 girls who were on varsity since 9th grade who seem to not want to work. It seems that one especially has not improved and does not take corrections, and doesn't want to. The other seems to shut down as soon as we talk about competing smaller and making decisions. At the end of the day they are holding the team back. Also, we have quite the "parents" in our area, very entitled kids. It's unfortunately not that easy to just say you are not competing. I do get backed by school, but for 2 talented athletes, it will be tough to get a backing if I say they are lazy and have attitudes. I just wish they could see the big picture.

How do you deal with kids like this? Just curious.. We have been ignoring, but as the competition skills progress, the one who has not improved isn't moving forward and it seems to be purposely. The other just keeps saying this is getting stressful and I told her to re-evaluate if she wants to cheer.

My suggestion is to hit them where it hurts.

My girls love stunting and showing off and having the attention on them at rallies and games. They also love competing (even when they are lazy at practice.)

When they are lazy at practice, I have pulled them from games, Homecoming rallies, you name it. Even from important comps.

If you want to half do things, cheat conditioning, etc. you can sit by me and do nothing.

That usually clears up the lazy problem.

As all high school coaches know, seniors will be seniors. Also, any team will have your kids who feel they are entitled. I currently have 2 girls who were on varsity since 9th grade who seem to not want to work. It seems that one especially has not improved and does not take corrections, and doesn't want to. The other seems to shut down as soon as we talk about competing smaller and making decisions. At the end of the day they are holding the team back. Also, we have quite the "parents" in our area, very entitled kids. It's unfortunately not that easy to just say you are not competing. I do get backed by school, but for 2 talented athletes, it will be tough to get a backing if I say they are lazy and have attitudes. I just wish they could see the big picture.

How do you deal with kids like this? Just curious.. We have been ignoring, but as the competition skills progress, the one who has not improved isn't moving forward and it seems to be purposely. The other just keeps saying this is getting stressful and I told her to re-evaluate if she wants to cheer.
When you say you "have quite the 'parents' in your area, very entitled kids," do you be that this is a problem that extends beyond your two seniors?

Not cheer, but I coach hs field hockey. Our current senior class of 3 girls has been... Interesting. We (myself and the other coach) picked captains this year: 1 senior and 2 juniors. The other two seniors were/are beyond pissed. One threw a legitimate fit, crying, yelling, storming off, the whole thing after the first game. She didn't think the junior captains did a good job. Mind you, the juniors are our most talented, most motivational, best leaders, good in school, etc. they're who coaches dream of having. So these two seniors have decided that they want to play, but want to make our lives miserable bc we didn't pick them. So they've been lazy in practice, not showing up to team events, and yelling at teammates on the field during games.

So after speaking to them for two weeks w no change, we benched the one who threw a fit. You wanna not be a team player and bring down the morale of the other 25 girls? Nope. You can sit. Her mom called the other coach that night and reamed her a new one. "Why did you bench my kid? She runs the field, blah blah blah". So I feel you on the entitled kids/parents. We explained all that happened and this was our decision and if she wants to continue to play on this team she has to follow by our rules and be a team player. Kid came into practice today, motivated people and actually was nice to teammates. Long story short, give the kid guidelines and follow through on punishments. Talent shouldn't outweigh the rest of your team rules and team morale. If you keep letting them get away with it, it won't stop. Nip it in the bud before it gets worse, and before the underclassmen see that you can be walked all over with no repercussions. Good luck! It's not easy but you have to do what's best for the entire team, not just appease the entitlement of a few kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you say you "have quite the 'parents' in your area, very entitled kids," do you be that this is a problem that extends beyond your two seniors?

Yes, I am in a lose lose situation many times, so it is tough. My rules are pretty tight, they do follow them, but in a situation like this, there could be a mass exodus.

My suggestion is to hit them where it hurts.

My girls love stunting and showing off and having the attention on them at rallies and games. They also love competing (even when they are lazy at practice.)

When they are lazy at practice, I have pulled them from games, Homecoming rallies, you name it. Even from important comps.

If you want to half do things, cheat conditioning, etc. you can sit by me and do nothing.

That usually clears up the lazy problem.

All of this they will like and then just cause issues at home in which I become the problem. One asked to be benched for a game, so I said you are in or out, but you can't have both. I am going to talk to my AD, but it is getting absurd with a few of them.

Do you have a consequence system built into your constitution the girls have to sign? if they ever say anything about being benched you say well it's in the constitution. If you fail the follow through on what's in the constitution the girls know they can walk all over you. Will they get mad? yes. Will the parents get mad? Yes. But ultimately you have to let haters hate and just continue on.

Do you have a consequence system built into your constitution the girls have to sign? if they ever say anything about being benched you say well it's in the constitution. If you fail the follow through on what's in the constitution the girls know they can walk all over you. Will they get mad? yes. Will the parents get mad? Yes. But ultimately you have to let haters hate and just continue on.

It's a pretty deep one to say the least. This is more out there then a usual wear the wrong outfit, show up late, etc. It's very strange. They will do what I tell them to, show up on time, pay the consequences.

I just need to know HOW you all manage to keep them moving without taking the whole team down with them. I have been coaching for 16 years and this is the most extreme situation I have ever come by.

I would take them out of all the cool stuff which someone else suggested. Just because they are a senior doesn't mean they have to be in stuff

At some point you may have to make a decision to remove them from the team, especially if they are dragging the rest of the team down. Cp's varsity squad was very senior heavy last season and many of them did the bare minimum, but they had been cheering together for so long that the coach just decided to ride out the season knowing that more than half the team would be replaced this year. There was one girl though who was in such violation of the athletic code that she basically left the coach with no choice but to kick her off.

I would give them a verbal warning then bench them, if it goes beyond that I would remove them from the team.

I have the SAME problem this year! I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had to "hit them where it hurts"
It breaks my heart that some seniors feel that it's the year to just slack off and act out when it can be a true opportunity to be a leader and leave a mark of excellence among their peers. There comes a time where I think every coach has to have that "senior" talk with their squad about what impression do they want to leave behind? How do they want their legacy to be perceived? Do they want their team to remember them as the ones that "didn't care"... Didn't motivate or move others? It's essential in a program to stress that individuals understand that seniors are valuable in that they have knowledge and experience that can help to enhance tradition and expand cheer education avenues. (Some of my best veterans have gone on to become great coaches) however... If a senior shows inconsideration, lack of work ethic, and or an inability to put their ego of seniority aside from their "team" mentality...they leave nothing behind and take nothing with them but wasted: time, money and efforts. Nobody forces anyone to try out for cheerleading it's strictly voluntary...it's good to remind seniors who act as though they are being "forced" to do something they don't want to do.... That they can leave at any time (by their own accord or through the appropriate avenues as outlined in the contract they signed when they CHOSE to participate)

I have the SAME problem this year! I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had to "hit them where it hurts"
It breaks my heart that some seniors feel that it's the year to just slack off and act out when it can be a true opportunity to be a leader and leave a mark of excellence among their peers. There comes a time where I think every coach has to have that "senior" talk with their squad about what impression do they want to leave behind? How do they want their legacy to be perceived? Do they want their team to remember them as the ones that "didn't care"... Didn't motivate or move others? It's essential in a program to stress that individuals understand that seniors are valuable in that they have knowledge and experience that can help to enhance tradition and expand cheer education avenues. (Some of my best veterans have gone on to become great coaches) however... If a senior shows inconsideration, lack of work ethic, and or an inability to put their ego of seniority aside from their "team" mentality...they leave nothing behind and take nothing with them but wasted: time, money and efforts. Nobody forces anyone to try out for cheerleading it's strictly voluntary...it's good to remind seniors who act as though they are being "forced" to do something they don't want to do.... That they can leave at any time (by their own accord or through the appropriate avenues as outlined in the contract they signed when they CHOSE to participate)

I love every word of this - preach!

Thanks! Can I tell you, we already did the talk, and the funny thing, the ones it doesn't apply to listen and the ones it does don't.. it's so annoying! I am going to hit one where it hurts, tomorrow, b/c she is preaching she is undecided if she wants to cheer and perceves in our heads we don't like her (compliments daily and just always positive for her b/c of her self-esteem), I am going to solve the problem. Take her out and just say I am not leaving this team hanging.

I would give them a verbal warning then bench them, if it goes beyond that I would remove them from the team.

One asked to be benched. I wish I could just remove... before I do that, I need to clear w/ AD and explain b/c she is a head case, to the point she is saying she doesn't want to cheer, but her family has no idea, they are constantly telling me how excited she is, so for me to not be perceived as the bad guy, I need to clear first to show that I am doing the right thing. UGH

Back