High School Set Deductions For Falls

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 14, 2010
I think there should be a point deduction (like in all star) for when a stunt drops in high school on the UCA score sheet. Maybe bobbles can still be included in the Execution score, but have falls be separate. When someone who knows nothing about cheerleading is watching a team perform, and sees them fall out of 8 different stunts throughout the routine, they obviously are confused when that teams wins over a team who kept all but a couple things in the air. More serious deductions given for falls will force coaches to put cleaner and safer stunts in routines, and safety is something no one can argue about. What are your thoughts? Does anyone think this could ever happen?

I think there should be a point deduction (like in all star) for when a stunt drops in high school on the UCA score sheet. Maybe bobbles can still be included in the Execution score, but have falls be separate. When someone who knows nothing about cheerleading is watching a team perform, and sees them fall out of 8 different stunts throughout the routine, they obviously are confused when that teams wins over a team who kept all but a couple things in the air. More serious deductions given for falls will force coaches to put cleaner and safer stunts in routines, and safety is something no one can argue about. What are your thoughts? Does anyone think this could ever happen?

But this isn't even always the case! At this year's UCA College Nationals, it was argued that UK had higher difficulty than Bama. Both teams had bobbles, but UK had a tumbling bust. Bama won. But in other UCA events, the team with greater difficulty that has bobbles/falls will win over a simple, clean routine. People always say that UCA favors a simple clean routine....but really, what they favor is a difficult and clean routine...but will give you the win if you're the team they favor.

But this isn't even always the case! At this year's UCA College Nationals, it was argued that UK had higher difficulty than Bama. Both teams had bobbles, but UK had a tumbling bust. Bama won. But in other UCA events, the team with greater difficulty that has bobbles/falls will win over a simple, clean routine. People always say that UCA favors a simple clean routine....but really, what they favor is a difficult and clean routine...but will give you the win if you're the team they favor.

I COMPLETELY agree. Which is why it just needs to be more objective. A fall is worth a point and a half off the top of your averaged out score. A tumbling touch down or fall is a point. That way, the skills left in the air can be judged appropriately. So UK would score high in the execution section, but get a few more off in falls.

In my opinion, Bama's stunts were all a little bobbly. Kentucky may have had more mistakes, but the things that stayed up were 10 times more sturdy. Again, IMO.

i know in georgia high school cheer, unless the flyer touches the floor a fall is not deduction when caught in a cradle. But a flyer hitting the floor and a tumble bust are the same deduction. its stupid.

Back