All-Star Sex Offender Arrested At Cheer Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Reading everyone responses I am surprised in over 10 yrs of cheer leading I have never known this to occur before. I am one of those dads that will video tape routines of my CP's team and others from the program and never once have I, or a friend from a different program, ever been approached as to why we were there.

I give that cop a lot of credit for picking out this one guy in what I assume is a big venue.

Reading everyone responses I am surprised in over 10 yrs of cheer leading I have never known this to occur before. I am one of those dads that will video tape routines of my CP's team and others from the program and never once have I, or a friend from a different program, ever been approached as to why we were there.

I give that cop a lot of credit for picking out this one guy in what I assume is a big venue.

I have never heard of it happening before at a cheer competition.

This was a big venue because it was cheerpower nationals and they had 2 floors going at one time at different areas in the arena.

I had been there since 7:30 AM until they were completely done with the event and I had not heard of it while there. I only seen it later because one of my daughters teammates parents liked the San Antonio Police Dept Facebook page and they shared it. I'm sure it happens but I had never heard of it. Maybe I'm oblivious but I didn't see a lot of people walking around in the arena not covered up. I did notice when I was the halls I did see teams not covered up assuming they were either going to and from warms ups or they were about to perform.

Sadly, anywhere there is a lot of young kids running around is a huge attraction for sex offenders. I was always amazed at the freedom some of the cheer moms granted their cps, especially in the hotels.

Sadly, anywhere there is a lot of young kids running around is a huge attraction for sex offenders. I was always amazed at the freedom some of the cheer moms granted their cps, especially in the hotels.
I grew up going to and taking kids to hockey tournaments and I don't think hardly anyone ever had reservations about letting the kids roam the hotels too much. They were always in packs and were usually room hopping.

I grew up going to and taking kids to hockey tournaments and I don't think hardly anyone ever had reservations about letting the kids roam the hotels too much. They were always in packs and were usually room hopping.

Not to mention that 99% of the hotel is booked with OUR GYM's families. I've never had a reservation about letting the run around the hotel, but the actual convention center itself...while I am guilty of allowing it, I am more conscious about making sure they are in groups and/or with an adult.

Maybe it's not the case in the US but I think all official competition photographers (the ones I can think of anyway) put the photos in an album which requires a password (changed for each comp) which is emailed to one coach of each team (I think all registration forms require an email and that's where the password is sent).
As far as I'm aware this works pretty well- I tried to find the password online when I couldn't contact my coach and couldn't, the only mention I found was on a forum where someone had posted it and an admin had removed the post within minutes.

I realize it would be a pill in some cases, but this makes so much sense. Between the uniforms (some more than others:eek:) and the poses - that while being perfectly natural to assume in cheer, would be appealing to a creep - the photo galleries really would be such a trolling ground for sickos.

This isn't the same thing at all, but yesterday after a competition, my CP and her friend and mother all went to eat. We were leaving the restaurant and a man approached my daughter and started telling her how sexy she was and asking her where she was going. The other mother and I were standing right there. I was getting ready to say something, but CP handled herself really well and shut him down pretty quickly. It was a little scary. The girls both had their uniforms on with make up and bows, but they also both had their team t-shirts on and jackets.

I am one of those dads that will video tape routines of my CP's team and others from the program and never once have I, or a friend from a different program, ever been approached as to why we were there.

I'm guessing that you wear something to associate yourself with your program or are seen with other people from a specific gym.

The owner of my gym picked out a creeper guy a couple years ago who was taking pictures of our junior team on his phone because he was by himself, wearing street clothes and was back near the warm-up area and stuck out from all the other parents.

I find the idea that wearing a t-shirt discourages pedophiles incredibly naive. If someone has a predilection for children, I doubt wardrobe has much to do with it. Isn't their childlike quality the very thing they are attracted to?

Props to the cop for following his instincts and getting the creep out of there.

I'm guessing that you wear something to associate yourself with your program or are seen with other people from a specific gym.

The owner of my gym picked out a creeper guy a couple years ago who was taking pictures of our junior team on his phone because he was by himself, wearing street clothes and was back near the warm-up area and stuck out from all the other parents.

I guess it's not a big problem to buy some gym shirts and wear them to competitions, if you want to stay "under the radar".
Someone who visits competitions just for the purpose to get photos and videos of minor cheerleaders in uniforms could be smart enough to act like a cheer dad.
I'm not sure, but at big gyms the parents sure don't know every other dad, uncle, brother.
And, it's really scary.

GreenStorm I completely agree. I've had relatives come watch me that didn't own program clothes/fan gear either and most of the dad's at my gym don't either. It is scary to read stories like this because for every one that is caught, think of how many are smart enough to get away with it =\.

I guess the best thing to do it use this as a teaching tool for our kids to make sure that if they see anything suspicious, come tell an adult ASAP and to make sure that they are acting appropriately and the younger ones stay with an adult or a senior cheer sister at all times.

I typically do wear a program shirt but what would prevent someone from buying an event t-shirt to wear and blend in a bit more?

I find the idea that wearing a t-shirt discourages pedophiles incredibly naive. If someone has a predilection for children, I doubt wardrobe has much to do with it. Isn't their childlike quality the very thing they are attracted to?

Props to the cop for following his instincts and getting the creep out of there.
Never said it would discourage a pedophile, but given the fact a cheer competition is prime real estate for these creeps, I also don't understand the voracious (for some people) aversion to the thought of being fully dressed when you're not on stage.

Not to mention that 99% of the hotel is booked with OUR GYM's families. I've never had a reservation about letting the run around the hotel, but the actual convention center itself...while I am guilty of allowing it, I am more conscious about making sure they are in groups and/or with an adult.
Maybe I am just overly protective - maybe growing up in NYC in the shadow of Etan Patz has something to do with that - but I am very paranoid about letting my kids roam around in places where there are unfamiliar adults. Even with the kids staying together in groups I found them having no qualms about taking isolated hotel stairs or going places they probably shouldn't . I remember at one local comp they found the second floor of the college arena (where the offices are) and went up there. Kids do stupid things that they don't realize are stupid and all it takes is one person to scare them, which is something I never wanted them to have to deal with.

Never said it would discourage a pedophile, but given the fact a cheer competition is prime real estate for these creeps, I also don't understand the voracious (for some people) aversion to the thought of being fully dressed when you're not on stage.

There were comments made linking the cover up rule to discouraging sex offenders. That is what I was responding to. My cp has always been at gyms that wanted them in warm ups or t-shirts when not performing, so it's not been an adjustment for us at all. But following the logic some have put forth here, one might conclude that a child is in more danger on the beach than on a playground or soccer field based simply on their wardrobe.

Back