All-Star Sex Offender Arrested At Cheer Comp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would like to see event photographers show a little more discreetness when it comes to shooting competitions. There is no reason to take a picture of a scorpian from any viewpoint other than headon or from the "non pulling" side. The same goes for heel stretches....
i only can assume that this is probably one of the reasons why most EP doesn't let anyone except their official staff to take video or picture of teams who compete at their competition. you'll never know what kind of person who records or takes a picture of your children while they are performing. what a scary thought :confused:

^^^ My thoughts exactly. It's a pain for some parents to have to buy a vid or pics, but if it means a safer environment for the kids, I'm perfectly ok with that.

Here's the thing, though. We (the Boarders) are discussing this. We represent a small fraction of the cheer community. There will always be a large number of parents and children who aren't even aware that this occurs. Most of what I've seen on this thread, from parents, is that you all have taken the initiative to educate yourselves and your children regarding their surroundings.
I'd very much like to see the PAC work on educational material to increase the awareness of parents, coaches and kids. Granted, it won't be popular with EPs or the industry, and I doubt distribution of cautionary information would get much support (heaven forbid we bring attention to a negative aspect of cheerleading.) Nevertheless, the safety of our kids is the main goal. And it would probably be more popular than an EPs name or the USASF being attached to a news story about a pedo at a comp.
CharlotteASMom

maybe it's because we live on the east coast but i see uniformed police at almost every competition we go to. my husband and i are both city people so we can spot the crazies before most. about a month ago a guy wasn't taking pics but seemed like he was high on something. last year we noticed a guy that was taking pics. it didn't seem like he was with anyone and when he was taking pics of our gyms teams we knew he didn't belong - and he wasn't using a "nice"camera either. we notified security.

i know of a few hobby photographers who have come to comps with friends, really apreciated the sport and has taken pics of our teams as well as others then posted them to their facebook page or the gyms facebook page to share.

a couple of years ago my hotel was full with cheer teams. i was the manager on duty for the weekend so i was hanging out in the lobby keeping an eye on operations. as with all sports teams i watched these girls roam around the hotel all night without parents, then some guy in the lobby struck up a conversation with them. they were probably 12ish and he was late 30's early 40's. these girls sat with him and listened to all of his BS (i remember him telling them he had a G4 plane) and they were in awe of him. i ended up planting myself in the lobby to keep an eye on him with the girls, informed my front desk staff and security to keep an eye on them also. they probably sat with him for about 30 minutes before they got up and walked down the hallway. i followed the girls down the hallway and asked if they knew him, they said they didn't, they were just talking to him. i then proceeded to walk the girls to their rooms and told them to tell their parents and to stay away from him. maybe it was harmless but it really creeped me out. we teach our kids to be nice to people and respectful to adults so maybe that is why they sat and talked to him for so long? either way, this is 300 room hotel, not a hampton inn - please don't let your kids randomly wander a hotel this size!

there are creeps everywhere, including here i have found. so just keep an eye on your kids. don't let them run around hotels or competitons without supervision. just because you feel safe because you are with your "cheer family" doesn't mean they really are.

I would like to see event photographers show a little more discreetness when it comes to shooting competitions. There is no reason to take a picture of a scorpian from any viewpoint other than headon or from the "non pulling" side. The same goes for heel stretches....

This would be great in theory but from talking to some photographers they are clicking away so fast they sometimes don't realize what they are taking. When they upload the photos they could try being a little more discretionary in what they post but even then could be too time consuming for the parents that want those pictures now. As parents we can review the photos posted and something we find inappropriate we can have it taken down.

Curiosity here, I know you are just throwing out examples but if the photog is directly in front of the mat and a flyer who is facing him/her pulls a heel stretch are they not supposed to take a picture? Same question actually goes for most skills since they are purposely positioned and performed for effect and a flyer pulling a heel stretch with her back to the audience is not as impressive as if facing the crowd. Same goes for scorpions, most legs pulled for the skill will be the one closest to the crowd for effect. Are we supposed to have photogs on the side and back of the mat too?

i only can assume that this is probably one of the reasons why most EP doesn't let anyone except their official staff to take video or picture of teams who compete at their competition. you'll never know what kind of person who records or takes a picture of your children while they are performing. what a scary thought :confused:
You can assume this to be the case but more than likely it is to increase their revenue through picture sales.

Two words...Situational Awareness....
Being ex-Navy and my husband being ex-Army (yeah that gets fun) we have always drilled into our girls to ALWAYS be aware of the people around them and what they are doing (themselves and others). This has kept cp from being hit during tumbling passes, she is always the kid looking around after landing and when she is walking around the mat. They know not to talk on their cellphones while walking around a competition and to listen to that creeped out feeling you get in the back of your mind when you think someone is watching you.
Unfortuneatly there is really no way to prevent these people from showing up at a compeition but we can all be more aware of them and report when we see them.
This is actually a great tip and I recommend all parents to enforce this with their children when they go anywhere on their own. I've read something about what rapists look for and one of the things is if someone is being distracted by looking at their cellphone. ALWAYS be aware of your surroundings.

I find the idea that wearing a t-shirt discourages pedophiles incredibly naive. If someone has a predilection for children, I doubt wardrobe has much to do with it. Isn't their childlike quality the very thing they are attracted to?

Props to the cop for following his instincts and getting the creep out of there.

I don't think it discourages them but a tshirt is less provocative than some uniforms worn. Had family who worked criminal investigations in this area - and many (not all) of these perverts are drawn to the "adultification" of little girls - lots of makeup, hair done up, and clothes that many not be age appropriate.
I am always thrown by parents that think their kids are "safe" going around convention centers and huge hotel complexes because it is all cheer. Comps are like big bright neon signs (moths to a flame) for the smarter of these guys who think beyond just grabbing a kid walking home - they know they can go and get their jollies just by walking around. Same with the pageants.
My kids do not leave my side at comps - they are far to young in my mind to walk around yet with a group. I have found other kids their age wandering clueless. They have one sweet friend who I am sure would fall for any trick about helping someone or pose for "innocent" pics for someone - she is just very believing and longs for teh attention. We found her (then a mini) wandering a comp and I would not let her go till I found her mom and heard from her mom it was okay and then gave her to her mom and said she had told me she had no clue where her mom was. Few minutes later she was off again. Mom was okay with it(I still a few years later keep an eye on where she is and what she is up to) - most of the moms though on the younger teams I have found to be just as cautious as me.

This would be great in theory but from talking to some photographers they are clicking away so fast they sometimes don't realize what they are taking. When they upload the photos they could try being a little more discretionary in what they post but even then could be too time consuming for the parents that want those pictures now. As parents we can review the photos posted and something we find inappropriate we can have it taken down.

Curiosity here, I know you are just throwing out examples but if the photog is directly in front of the mat and a flyer who is facing him/her pulls a heel stretch are they not supposed to take a picture? Same question actually goes for most skills since they are purposely positioned and performed for effect and a flyer pulling a heel stretch with her back to the audience is not as impressive as if facing the crowd. Same goes for scorpions, most legs pulled for the skill will be the one closest to the crowd for effect. Are we supposed to have photogs on the side and back of the mat too?

You can assume this to be the case but more than likely it is to increase their revenue through picture sales.

From the front is fine but I've seen event photographers position themselves on the right corner (if your looking at the stage) and taking pics...none of those will be flattering unless the kids are flying on the opposite leg.

The cover-up rule is great for girls...but boys cheer too, and pervs don't discriminate. These are crimes of opportunity and power - not looks.

I too am that NYer, who kept her daughter on the short leash until she was old enough to understand my neuroses. We actually talked about pedophiles, voyeurs, flashers, pimps, etc. Their methods and means of trapping and tricking young, innocent kids. Once she understood the dangers, she understood why I felt the need to be close at hand. Trips to NY and Cheersport in Atlanta necessitated those conversations.

Sounds icky? Don't underestimate the intelligence of your children! Children have ruled nations. If you are calm, honest and explain things in ways that they can understand, your kids will listen. Their wisdom might astound you. At the end of the day, they love you.

This is why there needs to be rules about who can buy a ticket. When my daughter did pageants, the only people who can buy tickets are the parents with kids in the pageant. If you want to get in, you have to know someone in the pageant to purchase you ticket. Not just any Tom, richard or Harry can walk up to the front desk and buy a ticket. If people had to purchase tickets thru their gyms, that would cut down on these sex offenders getting in.

This is why there needs to be rules about who can buy a ticket. When my daughter did pageants, the only people who can buy tickets are the parents with kids in the pageant. If you want to get in, you have to know someone in the pageant to purchase you ticket. Not just any Tom, richard or Harry can walk up to the front desk and buy a ticket. If people had to purchase tickets thru their gyms, that would cut down on these sex offenders getting in.
but, what about ordinary people (like me, cheer fan) who is not affiliated with any gym, teams, or etc? then we are not allowed to watch any comp? i don't have kids yet so i couldn't tell that i understand that you worry and concern about your kids' safety. but it seems unfair to me that only certain people can watch any cheer comp. it looks so exclusive. there must be better solution for this, like win-win solution..

This is a sport that is getting fans.

but, what about ordinary people (like me, cheer fan) who is not affiliated with any gym, teams, or etc? then we are not allowed to watch any comp? i don't have kids yet so i couldn't tell that i understand that you worry and concern about your kids' safety. but it seems unfair to me that only certain people can watch any cheer comp. it looks so exclusive. there must be better solution for this, like win-win solution..
I understand that as a fan you want to see the competitions, but as a parent, my first priority is to protect my child and her teammates. I think sometime we all forget that this is a sport for kids. For me, it's on the same level as any other sport. Unless I have a personal connection to a child playing in YMCA basketball ,I don't just stop at random games. If I want to see a basketball game, I go to a college or professional game. I think cheer should be the same way. I don't think that random people should be able to just stop at cheer competitions. My advice would be to make a friend in the cheer world, watch the clips on YouTube or go to a college competition. I think ALL youth sports should be for family/friends of the player. Maybe one day it could be a win-win for all, but if it comes down to protecting the kids or letting a fan in, the kids come first. This is just my opinion and no one on the cheer world is knocking my door for advice, so I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Not about cheer but when I was like 8 or 9 I was walking up the road from my bus stop and some old guy with a grungy beard and a ratty truck asked me if I wanted a ride, I said no thanks and he was persistent until he finally got the hint. It was so creepy. Happy my mom taught me not to get into a car with a stranger or I might not be here today, who knows.

Not about cheer but when I was like 8 or 9 I was walking up the road from my bus stop and some old guy with a grungy beard and a ratty truck asked me if I wanted a ride, I said no thanks and he was persistent until he finally got the hint. It was so creepy. Happy my mom taught me not to get into a car with a stranger or I might not be here today, who knows.

Dang! Good for you. It's sad that there are people out there like that. :(

Back