All-Star Shin Splints

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 18, 2009
If you have had them, what have you done to help them go away?

Especially for tumblers

I got them a few times when I did track/soccer. One thing that helped me was putting gel inserts into my shoes for more support because I also had some heel problems as well. I'm not sure if that would work with cheer shoes though? I also iced them and did some calf stretches.

Get-Fit Guy : How to Get Rid Of Shin Splints :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™

I also did a quick Google search and found this website that gives a lot of tips to get rid of shin splints. Hope they go away soon!

I used to get them really bad, I would put water in little Dixie cups and freeze them and then take them out and push them down on my shins and massage them with the ice

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

My daughter has them. The suggestions above help ease her pain some. Unfortunately, nothing makes hers go away.

I have a detachable shower head and just ran cold cold cold water over my shins because my ice maker is slower than molasses.

Stop doing what caused them :( I got them SO bad when I switched from all star to college and had to tumble on a dead floor, I massaged, iced, and taped my legs but nothing really made them completely go away until the season was over. I hate shin splints!

Yeah I got them so badly that I would lie in bed crying because they throbbed. I was to the point where I couldn't do daily activities like walking down the hall to class or up the stairs.

I tried ibuprofen and icing a lot. It would help a little but wear off eventually. I would take medical tape and just wrap it around and around my calves and shins during my field hockey games, that didn't help either besides ripping the hairs off my legs. I tried inserts those didn't work either.

What ultimately made nine go away was resting. I had to sit out my senior year of field hockey so my legs could heal for cheer. It was the worst, hardest thing I've ever done but it worked. I didn't play for about two months and I iced all the time.

Have you recently switched shoes? I switched my cleats from soccer to baseball style and I believe that's what did me in. If you have recently switched shoes maybe try switching back?

I've also found that what shoes I wear just during the day can make them feel better or worse. Wearing flip flops or uggs to the grocery store seems harmless but wearing a supportive shoe to class and for all of my errands really helped.

bumping this post, but has anyone else here had forearm splints? i can't tumble, but i'm a base so i kinda need to use my arms. rested for a few months but now they're back. so frustrating :banghead:

Yep, same thing happened to me between all star and college....icing and shoe inserts and all that is temporary. Stopping what is causing them is the only way for them to fully heal. :( it sucks .. they're the worst!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bumping this post, but has anyone else here had forearm splints? i can't tumble, but i'm a base so i kinda need to use my arms. rested for a few months but now they're back. so frustrating :banghead:

My daughter had this issue and her coach got onto her for slow tumbling. Handstands, BWO, slow BHS's put a lot of pressure in the forearm area according to her PT (treatment as stated above). I don't know if this is an issue for you, but speeding up her tumbling has alleviated her forearm splints.

Rest.... its the only thing that works... everything else will only ease the pain but you will always have them.... If you don't take care of them they can get bad and turn in fractures. Which aren't fun.

Yep, same thing happened to me between all star and college....icing and shoe inserts and all that is temporary. Stopping what is causing them is the only way for them to fully heal. :( it sucks .. they're the worst!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually makes a lot of sense! Coach always says I'm too graceful and slow in my tumbling. I know I really need to give them a rest again to let them heal up but our comp season starts in 2 weeks ugh

Back