Should I Bother With Aerials?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 20, 2012
I know that an aerial is a gymnastics thing, but don't cheerleaders use it at all??
Should I waste my time trying to learn an aerial? If not, which tumbling skill should I go for next?
I can do a cartwheel, roundoff, back walkover, and one-handed cartwheel. I'm going to start taking a tumbling class, but what should I work on next? Thanks!

Springs (sorry) would be your next skill!:) I think that for a cheerleader an Ariel is a side thing, I work on mine when I have free time after all of my other stuff!:) good luck!:)

Cheerleaders don't really use aerials all that much, its more of a dance and gymnastics thing. And prolly BHS (back handsprings) would be the next skill :)

I beg to differ. If you're talking about an allstar team, when there's multiple people able to do them, they look really cool in transitions. Or even just during tumbling like across the front of the floor, so cute. I would definitely focus on the handspring though, because an aerial won't get you onto a level 2 team.

I wouldn't WORK on them, you can't do them in all-star until level 3. So you have handsprings and tucks to get through first. Plus there is a generally decent chance that by the time you have a solid round off bhs tuck and a punch front, you won't have to really work all that hard to get the aerial.

I think if its something you'd like to do go for it. Work your handsprings too, but a good aerial is fierce :)

Back