Should I Do High School Or All Star Cheer?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

$40 an hour for a private lesson is a pretty good good price. I misunderstood you, I thought you meant for a weekly group tumbling class.

The gym I coach at has tumbling once a week for $40 monthly, unlimited tumbling (3 classes a week is what it breaks down to as far as skill appropriate classes go) for $60 monthly, and unlimited classes (included tumbling, stunts, and conditioning classes) for $90 monthly. Our team tuition is $180 monthly which covers all practices and unlimited classes. And prep teams are $90-$100 a month (I think but I could be wrong, it includes practice and unlimited classes) It'll vary at every program you go to but it's nice to be able to compare numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just looked at the website from that gym and the price was really old because my friend told me that price when they first opened like a year ago. Now the prices are 50 dollars an hour for private lessons, and 80 dollars a month for 1 class per week and 60 dollars per additional class. With a 45 dollar registration fee.

I forgot to mention it, but start stretching. Especially splits (left, right, middle) and bridges. Splits to help your jumps/flying (maybe) and bridges because a minimum flexibility is required for a handspring/walkover.

40-50 yard sprints are great, because they're directly correlated with jump height. Broad jumps help to build explosive full body strength, and even has a swing associated just like a handspring. Squat jumps are good, as well as calf raises, pliobox jumps, explosive skips, bounds, pretty much you want to build explosive power through your legs, so don't walk/ jog on a treadmill for 30 minutes. It'll help your endurance, but not your tumbling.

Everyone hates them, but push ups (no "girl" push ups please unless that's all you can do) are great for your shoulders and chest. Hand stands are also fantastic for building the muscles that are involved in the middle part of a cartwheel/roundoff/handspring.

Anything you can do for abs, planks, sit ups, reverse sit-ups etc. will help build up your core.

You don't have to workout forever. You can get a workout in in under 20 minutes a day if you do it right.

Say you do five forty yard sprints, two times a week (I usually sprint the forty, and walk the forty back then go again). That should take you around 10 to 15 minutes to warm up ( jog half a mile and stretch) and 10 minutes to do the sprints (likely less). The next week, you should shoot for six sprints. You do 3 sets of 15 pushups( five minutes tops), the next week you should try for 3 sets of 20, or 4 sets of 15.

Just always be improving yourself and you'll be glad of it when you start tumbling.

I just looked at the website from that gym and the price was really old because my friend told me that price when they first opened like a year ago. Now the prices are 50 dollars an hour for private lessons, and 80 dollars a month for 1 class per week and 60 dollars per additional class. With a 45 dollar registration fee.
That doesn't seem ridiculous from what I've heard from the industry with private lessons being sometimes $25!!!/half hour. Just know if you're serious about it, get your money's worth. Have your cartwheel and roundoff perfected. Make it clear you only want to work on your handspring/round off handspring. It's your private lesson. I have lessons who work one hour a week and gain skills fairly rapidly, but you can tell they're serious, and they aren't there to play around.

$50 an hour is still good for a private lesson, in my opinion and experience, you'll gain more from that than a group class. I'm in the Midwest, so for classes, it's probably cheaper where I live (depending on where you are at) because the cost of living is much more affordable here than it is pretty much everywhere else. The registration fee is pretty normal, and while a $150 a month seems steep for me, it might be really normal/average for your area.

That doesn't seem ridiculous from what I've heard from the industry with private lessons being sometimes $25!!!/half hour. Just know if you're serious about it, get your money's worth. Have your cartwheel and roundoff perfected. Make it clear you only want to work on your handspring/round off handspring. It's your private lesson. I have lessons who work one hour a week and gain skills fairly rapidly, but you can tell they're serious, and they aren't there to play around.
I forgot to mention it, but start stretching. Especially splits (left, right, middle) and bridges. Splits to help your jumps/flying (maybe) and bridges because a minimum flexibility is required for a handspring/walkover.

40-50 yard sprints are great, because they're directly correlated with jump height. Broad jumps help to build explosive full body strength, and even has a swing associated just like a handspring. Squat jumps are good, as well as calf raises, pliobox jumps, explosive skips, bounds, pretty much you want to build explosive power through your legs, so don't walk/ jog on a treadmill for 30 minutes. It'll help your endurance, but not your tumbling.

Everyone hates them, but push ups (no "girl" push ups please unless that's all you can do) are great for your shoulders and chest. Hand stands are also fantastic for building the muscles that are involved in the middle part of a cartwheel/roundoff/handspring.

Anything you can do for abs, planks, sit ups, reverse sit-ups etc. will help build up your core.

You don't have to workout forever. You can get a workout in in under 20 minutes a day if you do it right.

Say you do five forty yard sprints, two times a week (I usually sprint the forty, and walk the forty back then go again). That should take you around 10 to 15 minutes to warm up ( jog half a mile and stretch) and 10 minutes to do the sprints (likely less). The next week, you should shoot for six sprints. You do 3 sets of 15 pushups( five minutes tops), the next week you should try for 3 sets of 20, or 4 sets of 15.

Just always be improving yourself and you'll be glad of it when you start tumbling.
Thanks, you were really helpful! I'm definitely going to start working out more.

$50 an hour is still good for a private lesson, in my opinion and experience, you'll gain more from that than a group class. I'm in the Midwest, so for classes, it's probably cheaper where I live (depending on where you are at) because the cost of living is much more affordable here than it is pretty much everywhere else. The registration fee is pretty normal, and while a $150 a month seems steep for me, it might be really normal/average for your area.

I think I'm going to stick with private lessons, because I figured I would need more instruction than I would get in a group class any way. I just didn't know what prices normally were. Thanks!

Its 20 dollars per 30 minutes for a private lesson, but the group classes are a similar price. That's only at one gym though because I haven't looked into any other gyms yet. Is that too expensive?
Our half hour privates run $25 a session. Every coach is USASF certified and they will only coach or do privates for the level they are certified up to. Our previous gym also ran $25 for a half hour and $50 for an hour (current gym does not do hour long privates). I feel like the cost is in line with what I have experienced!

all star is more competetive.....
That depends greatly on where you are located. There are many many many high schools/regions out there where school cheer is just as if not more competitive than all star.

That depends greatly on where you are located. There are many many many high schools/regions out there where school cheer is just as if not more competitive than all star.
haha...not my daughter's HS...they are terrible! All star is much faster! IMO...

haha...not my daughter's HS...they are terrible! All star is much faster! IMO...
Just because yours isn't doesn't mean others aren't. I would suggest watching videos from UCA/NCA high school nationals. Many of those schools are better than a lot of level 5 all star teams. It's not something that you can make a generalized statement about just based on your own personal experience.

Just because yours isn't doesn't mean others aren't. I would suggest watching videos from UCA/NCA high school nationals. Many of those schools are better than a lot of level 5 all star teams. It's not something that you can make a generalized statement about just based on your own personal experience.
that's all i have is my personal experience to go by...most HS cheerleaders come from All Star...sorry...i can get into cheers/poms and signs... all distractions to me...

that's all i have is my personal experience to go by...most HS cheerleaders come from All Star...sorry...i can get into cheers/poms and signs... all distractions to me...
I would disagree that most HS cheerleaders come from allstar, especially since there are many states where you can't do both at the same time. Maybe Georgia school cheer would be appealing to you, no poms/signs and the cheer is about 10 seconds long (I'll add a video below), other states have similar styles. It would have been more beneficial advice to say all star is more competitive in my area, than to say it more generally, since that's not an accurate statement.

Back