All-Star Should Level 6 Exist?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
ACEDAD brought this up in another thread and it's worth discussion. Should it exist?

For it:
Upper echelon of cheer
Tradition of college cheer
Leaves room for development

Against it:
Very few people know how to teach/coach it
High risk of injury because there isn't years of training like for level 5
Many teams enter level 6 because of lack of options for athletes graduates out of club levels

I am so on the fence about it. The fact that not many coaches can teach the stunts and pryamids correctly makes me think it maybe should go, but then again it gives those athletes that want to compete at the college level but can't afford to cheer in college the opportunity to do so.

I would hate to see it go because the coed 6 division is one of my favorites, but there are just so many scary level 6 teams at competitions. Even Bangkok scares the crap out of me because I wonder what their practices were like while learning those skills.

I don't really know enough about it to have an opinion on whether it should stay or go, however another 'for' point is that in some countries level 6 teams are the standard level for seniors (e.g. European and Asian countries)

Level 6 stunts are not any harder than what is currently allowed (which is basically a rewind and flip downs).

It's the flipping baskets and 2 1/2 pyramids that concern me. A back tuck basket is easy, but flipping and twisting takes a good deal of height that I think most high school bases cannot produce quite yet. The 2 1/2 pyramid parts that concern me is the catching of flyers when they crumble.

I don't think Level 6 should just "go away", but as kingston has said before- Open Level 4 would be a great place for some athletes who are just looking to cheer after they age out. Unfortunately right now, Level 6 is where they go and a majority don't have Level 5 skills, let alone anything beyond that. It makes me nervous to watch Level 6. I can't even count on my hands and toes how many times I cringed at Worlds last year when it just looked dangerous- for example, the blonde girl who had been sitting next to us all day was dropped on her head doing a full basket toss; not even dropped.. just never caught. I'm not saying these athletes don't work hard, train hard, or lack dedication. They are very talented, but they're in the wrong division.

I'm not really sure how I feel about level 6 right now. There are some teams that I love watching, but many of them are really scary to watch. I think Open level 4 is a great option for college age athletes. I am on an open 4 team this year and it is great to be able to cheer without having the pressure to do these harder stunts that I've never learned how to do and honestly I'm not sure if I am truly capable of safely doing those stunts. I loved the option to be able to continue cheering in a level that I am comfortable in, so I really hope that Open 4 becomes a real division soon because I am sure there are many people in the same position as me.

I also think the international division should become limited to 20 people so college teams could easily transition over and compete international.

I like that idea as well, actually I really liked it the one year that there was small and large international coed (don't remember if it was split for all girl). Since they just increased the number to fit more with the ICU I don't see it happening, unfortunately.

I actually really hope that Open 4 becomes a real division and that maybe more teams will go to that division instead of staying in level 6.

I like the idea of open 4. From a parent standpoint, I would cease financial support of my kid (college, living expenses and so on) if mine chose to participate in it because just watching it freaks me out that bad. Not an analytical reaction, just a gut reaction.

My biggest concerns about level 6 are:

1. Availability of qualifed coaches. Several gyms have them; many do not.
2. The increased risk factor of flipping in baskets and the dismounts of 2.5 pyramids.
3. The real lack of quality practice time for most of the teams. We all know that the typical level 6 team is made up of coaches and college students. And many of them live a great distance from the gym that is sponsoring the team. I'm betting most teams have full practices less than 20% of their total times they are together.
4. Another issue isn't with the talent or the team, but the gym. It's a financial, time and focus drain on the gym. I would be astonished if any gym has EVER actually made money on a level 6 team. The gym staff probably also has to devote a great deal more time proportionately than others because there aren't team moms or parents to ensure the travel arrangements and waivers and uniforms are all done.

I realize that the last two items have a bit of an overlap with teh IO5 and IOC5 teams, but, in my experience, the is generally much more control over the level 5 teams. I can only assume it's because the age minimum is 14 for those teams, but others might have additonal thoughts.

We have very few coaches and athletes that can really say they are true level 6 in CA. Most high schools never go past level 3 in tumbling and level 4 in stunts. I'd have to say the advanced div, in high schools is the smallest div at comps. Then you graduate and all of sudden you go into level 6. Most of the time, I cant even watch.

Level 4 for this age group would be so much more competitive and safe.

My biggest concerns about level 6 are:

1. Availability of qualifed coaches. Several gyms have them; many do not.
2. The increased risk factor of flipping in baskets and the dismounts of 2.5 pyramids.
3. The real lack of quality practice time for most of the teams. We all know that the typical level 6 team is made up of coaches and college students. And many of them live a great distance from the gym that is sponsoring the team. I'm betting most teams have full practices less than 20% of their total times they are together.
4. Another issue isn't with the talent or the team, but the gym. It's a financial, time and focus drain on the gym. I would be astonished if any gym has EVER actually made money on a level 6 team. The gym staff probably also has to devote a great deal more time proportionately than others because there aren't team moms or parents to ensure the travel arrangements and waivers and uniforms are all done.

I realize that the last two items have a bit of an overlap with teh IO5 and IOC5 teams, but, in my experience, the is generally much more control over the level 5 teams. I can only assume it's because the age minimum is 14 for those teams, but others might have additonal thoughts.

1. This is also true in college honestly.
2. As long as the proper equipment and training is available this isn't as big an issue as you might think. But... see question 1.
3. I have a strict attendance policy for all the open teams I have coached. Though even with increased practices this year and very good attendance it is tough. We have 14 coaches on the team so we have late practices.
4. No one really makes money from any of their open teams (5 or 6). You do it because adults want to keep competing and cheer. Though it means a heckuva lot of responsibility for one person (I am team mom.. yay).

I believe level 5 is more popular because it is more in line with the rest of all-star and the approaches of the coaches does not have to change much for IOC5.

1. This is also true in college honestly.
2. As long as the proper equipment and training is available this isn't as big an issue as you might think. But... see question 1.
3. I have a strict attendance policy for all the open teams I have coached. Though even with increased practices this year and very good attendance it is tough. We have 14 coaches on the team so we have late practices.
4. No one really makes money from any of their open teams (5 or 6). You do it because adults want to keep competing and cheer. Though it means a heckuva lot of responsibility for one person (I am team mom.. yay).

I believe level 5 is more popular because it is more in line with the rest of all-star and the approaches of the coaches does not have to change much for IOC5.

1. Not my concern.
2. Understood, but proper equipment and training is rare as we've agreed.
3. There are maybe 10 gyms that can adequately enforce this and make it happen. They could probably pull off a level 7 team, too, but that's not the point.
4. Maybe Open 4 would change this. I don't know. Not a huge fan of more divisions, but this one might make sense.

Back