College Should The Uca And Nca College Nationals Merge?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I was thinking about this subject about the idea of merging both the UCA and NCA College Nationals into one event. I know that UCA is more traditional while NCA is more all-star like, but I was thinking that maybe each squad could do a cheer at the beginning of the routine just like the Cheerleading Worlds while having the championship at Walt Disney World rather than Daytona Beach.

Another reason would be that squads won't have to miss any important basketball games in January while the UCA Nationals are taking place by having the championship in April after the basketball season. Just think: Kentucky battles Louisville while Morehead State takes on SFA. Your thoughts?

The appeal of having two is being able to choose the style that works for you. Most programs manage to have enough athletes to have some stay home for basketball anyways. In the really successful programs, the athletes staying home are almost as good as the athletes competing. I just don't see there being a real need to merge them.

The appeal of having two is being able to choose the style that works for you. Most programs manage to have enough athletes to have some stay home for basketball anyways. In the really successful programs, the athletes staying home are almost as good as the athletes competing. I just don't see there being a real need to merge them.

But I heard that Kansas is pulling out of the UCA Nationals this year is because of a very important basketball game against Oklahoma State which will be televised on CBS.

But I heard that Kansas is pulling out of the UCA Nationals this year is because of a very important basketball game against Oklahoma State which will be televised on CBS.
Yup. Valid point, but I've never heard of another school doing that. It comes down to the athletic department and what they value more. The argument could be made that Kansas should just compete NCA this year. In fact, it's great that there are two options for situations like theirs.

I like the two different styles and that there are options for a program to pick which style they like or excel at. The fact that Kansas is missing nationals sounds like bad planning from the program. As far as I know almost all schools that go to nationals have a squad that stays back. Even the school I cheered at that didn't compete had 2 squads just to cover any times we needed to be two places at once.

The thing I would like to see more is that NCA high school competitions and nationals become like NCA college nationals. I personally don't care for NCA high school competitions with the never ending story cheers. I think more schools (at least from our area) would probably go to NCA if it was built more like college with all music and the cheer is done separately before.

I like having 2. I'm really not a UCA style cheerleader at all, I hate doing cheers. NCA is definitely what suits me and I like having that option. And I'm not that great of a cheerleader so I like how NCA has the intermediate division. UCA unfortunately does not

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

They should have one universal scoresheet and rules, similar to allstar and level 6, and be allowed to compete multiple times during the year.

Random thought and not exactly relevant to the topic of the thread...but don't most teams only take about 1/2 or 3/4 of the team to nationals? Or are they just wanting to give everyone the opportunity to cheer at such a large, televised game? Are the cheerleaders backing this? Because personally I would prefer to compete over a basketball game.
I can understand if it's a big game, but I would also imagine there are enough cheerleaders not going to nationals to cheer. I don't really have a strong opinion either way, I'm mostly just curious. :p

Random thought and not exactly relevant to the topic of the thread...but don't most teams only take about 1/2 or 3/4 of the team to nationals? Or are they just wanting to give everyone the opportunity to cheer at such a large, televised game? Are the cheerleaders backing this? Because personally I would prefer to compete over a basketball game.
I can understand if it's a big game, but I would also imagine there are enough cheerleaders not going to nationals to cheer. I don't really have a strong opinion either way, I'm mostly just curious. :p

The Oklahoma State versus Kansas men's basketball game on January 18 is not just any basketball game. The Jayhawks have Andrew Wiggins, who is considered to be the best high school player since LeBron James while the Cowboys have Marcus Smart, another top player. This particular game is gonna be a sellout IMO. It kind of reminds me like Kentucky vs. Louisville basketball or Michigan vs. Ohio State football. Just my two cents.

I know a lot of teams have like their team and then from that team is the competition team. Usually when schools do that the competition team is made up of the best athletics from the team (based of skill level, commitment and other factors) and then they send the "competition team" down to nationals to compete and then the other would stay for the game, or if there is no game then the people not out on the mat competing still travel and just dont compete.

When you ask are cheerleaders backing this, in most cases I would say yes, at least if i was on the team I know I would back it because you want you best team to go compete and get the chance to bring back the national title.

@KU Cheer Coach responded to this in another thread:
The Pros And Cons Of Competing | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer
It's closer towards the bottom.

The Oklahoma State versus Kansas men's basketball game on January 18 is not just any basketball game. The Jayhawks have Andrew Wiggins, who is considered to be the best high school player since LeBron James while the Cowboys have Marcus Smart, another top player. This particular game is gonna be a sellout IMO. It kind of reminds me like Kentucky vs. Louisville basketball or Michigan vs. Ohio State football. Just my two cents.
Every game at Allen Fieldhouse (where our basketball is played) has been sold out for the last 15-20 years, people are on waiting lists to get tickets in the upper corners with mediocre views.

The administration seems to not be very pro cheer at the moment which is frustrating as an alumni. And the cheerleaders themselves of course aren't happy about not competing but are moving on and making the most of a great year

Every game at Allen Fieldhouse (where our basketball is played) has been sold out for the last 15-20 years, people are on waiting lists to get tickets in the upper corners with mediocre views.

The administration seems to not be very pro cheer at the moment which is frustrating as an alumni. And the cheerleaders themselves of course aren't happy about not competing but are moving on and making the most of a great year
You said it...I thought it. Even as a basketball loving girl I was thinking in my head "Who cares that two teams are playing each other with top-ranked players?" To me, that seems like BS.

Could they go to NCA? It's not the same, and it's probably cutting it close to send in a video, but at least it would be something.

Back