Sibling Rivalry..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cRayCheerDad

Cheer Parent
Dec 15, 2014
Anyone have any secrets on how to minimize the drama between two sisters that cheer ??? (Same gym different teams same Level...)

Not saying that you DO this, but it helps if parents try not to COMPARE them.

I think people even do it inadvertently.

It's not always: "Suzy's so much better than you at that!"

There's subtle comparison like "Why don't you take an extra private? Suzy took an extra and she got her layout in a month."

Not saying that you DO this, but it helps if parents try not to COMPARE them.

I think people even do it inadvertently.

It's not always: "Suzy's so much better than you at that!"

There's subtle comparison like "Why don't you take an extra private? Suzy took an extra and she got her layout in a month."

YES. I can't stress this enough. I have one athlete on my junior 1 and her little sister on my youth 2 and it has been tough trying to get the older one to stop comparing herself to her little sister. I think the older one being on a lower level team (in my case) makes it harder as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing I've always made sure I did was make all the kids support each other at comps, and usually the older two would end up going back to warmups to support Mini. Little and Sacha were always warming up together anyway.
Whether Mini competed at 8am and Little at 9pm, we support each other.
Never really had to worry about skills issues because Mini, being a boy, picked up tumbling in a flash and had the same skills the others did in no time.

It's a tricky balance but try to emphasize each of their strengths without making the other one feel less in that same skill set (especially if one is definitely not as strong in those skills). When both my girls cheered (and were even on the same team one season), everyone raved about my older one's jumps. My younger one would kill it during the dance and knew all eyes were on her then.

Definitely avoid comparing the two. Encourage both of them to form teammate bonds and friendships so that they have a second support system. If they are on different teams, the most difficult part of that for me was when one team was having a very successful season and the other wasn't. It was hard when one CP's team would consistently win and she would come home with a jacket and the other CP's team would have issues and she would come home empty handed. It wasn't always easy, but they were taught to be gracious and at least make the effort to be happy for each other. They are now on the same team and that creates a few challenges as well. It is hard to be teammates and sisters sometimes, but I am fortunate that my kids get along really well so it has been more of a positive experience than negative for all of us.

My 2 CP's are on the same team. It has really bonded them. I love that they are on the same team. They have learned how to work together. They comfort each other when they lose. They celebrate together when they win. Since your CP's are the same level, are they on different teams because of age differences?

Last edited:
Same level, unless Tiny or Mini, means they are competing for World/Summit bids and level Grand Champs. And, let's face it, same level may mean the older is feeling slightly insecure and the younger is feeling slightly superior. You don't even have to compare them and they will have sibling rivalry just because of the way cheer is set up. For sanity sake, you are just going to have to lay down the rules of acceptable behavior: We will cheer each other on, we will be happy for the winners, we will be quiet or console the losers. We will not compare routine placement, tumbling, falls, bobbles, etc.

If your girls are in the youth and junior age group, especially 9-14, I found those ages to be the most difficult for sibling rivalry no matter what the circumstances. Our girls have always gotten along really well but, during those years they fought a lot.

My advice is dependent on how old the sisters are. Would you mind sharing?

Latest posts

Back