High School Sideline Boxes?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's been 10 years so details are a little fuzzy lol. We used the boxes maybe 3 or 4 times a game, if that. I feel like we used them more due to the decorations/spirit of the actual boxes that were covered in school colors/logos etc than to actually stand on them. If we wanted to stunt or tumble, we just moved down the track a little where the boxes weren't in the way. I'll say in my 4 years there was never any issues with using them.
And you move them around during the game?! lol

Many questions lol

-So do you not spirit and react to the game while watching it and cheering?
-So after the squad watches the play on the field while on the box, do you all step down from the box to do a cheer or chant?
-If so, do you move the boxes so you can stunt and tumble while cheering?
-What happens if there is a big play (let's say an interception), where the momentum changes in an instant, are people jumping off boxes and cheering like crazy?

Scotty....

dude...it's taken me four years to help my girls obtain a HINT of a grasp of what's going on in a football game. Even now, I've changed my role from directing on the sideline (I have two assistants who manage that) to standing between the girls and the field and educating them about every play, flag, occurrence during the game. My kids didn't know what an interception was until someone started coaching them who understood the game.

Scotty....

dude...it's taken me four years to help my girls obtain a HINT of a grasp of what's going on in a football game. Even now, I've changed my role from directing on the sideline (I have two assistants who manage that) to standing between the girls and the field and educating them about every play, flag, occurrence during the game. My kids didn't know what an interception was until someone started coaching them who understood the game.
Lol! Regional culture is so bizarre!
My kids know and watch the football game, but then don't know how to react and engage with the crowd. Ongoing battle that is for sure!

But now on an elevated box, a cheerleader cannot jump or kick or tumble, or do much excited spiriting from that position. And puts them at risk for an injury.

The cons outweigh the pros in this debate everytime. It just doesn't make sense when looking at the role of a cheerleader during a game.
They're not on them the whole time, only during specific cheers. So it's really not that big of a deal. They can jump, kick or tumble when they come down from the box.

They're not on them the whole time, only during specific cheers. So it's really not that big of a deal. They can jump, kick or tumble when they come down from the box.
That's my issue though. People claim they are used to increase spirit and allow the girls to see. But when I ask about the logistics of using and moving the box, everyone says they are only used a couple times a game. Makes zero sense and still doesn't add anymore spirit.
:defeated:

That's my issue though. People claim they are used to increase spirit and allow the girls to see. But when I ask about the logistics of using and moving the box, everyone says they are only used a couple times a game. Makes zero sense and still doesn't add anymore spirit.

Our kids use the boxes, however not everyone stands on one. Only our back row of cheerleaders stand on the box. It is mostly so they can see over the football players and call the appropriate cheer. The boxes are large enough that they can cheer, kick and spirit while standing on them. Being that only our back row uses them, there is plenty of room to stunt and tumble as well.

They already explained that the boxes are typically not moved, I also don't recall anyone saying they were used to increase spirit but someone did say so the crowd can see the cheerleaders better which does makes sense on a cluttered/busy sideline. You made it very clear that you aren't a fan move on.....

:deadhorse:

They already explained that the boxes are typically not moved, I also don't recall anyone saying they were used to increase spirit but someone did say so the crowd can see the cheerleaders better which does makes sense on a cluttered/busy sideline. You made it very clear that you aren't a fan move on.....

:deadhorse:
I did. Someone replied to me with a different POV so I engaged them about the subject. No need to be rude

We definitely get your point of view. It's fine to have an opinion about it but repeating it isn't going to change the minds of those that don't agree. Not even sure if the gif was necessary as it, in my opinion, serves no purpose and is completely out of context of what we're discussing. As for the opinion of "it doesn't add more spirit" I say we leave it up to the actual cheerleaders that use them and their coaches.

I just don't see how being elevated 12-16 inches higher allows you to do a better job on the sideline

LOL I think it's just a fun thing for them to do. Lots of times the girls can personalize them and make them their own. And it's a nice keepsake. One of the teams I used to coach had them, but only used them during Homecoming because their sidelines and band dances required them to move around too much for them to be feasible in the long term.

I think it’s so funny that schools are using boxes to get higher and be easier to see when the whole reason cheerleading started to stunt in the first place was to elevate the cheerleaders to be easier to see.

Nowadays teams do hard stunts on the sideline to show off and use boxes to be easier to see :p:p Why not just do a prep or shoulder sit?

Last edited:
I think it’s so funny that schools are using boxes to get higher and be easier to see when the whole reason cheerleading started to stunt in the first place was to elevate the cheerleaders to be easier to see.

Nowadays teams do hard stunts on the sideline to show off and use boxes to be easier to see :p:p Why not just do a prep or shoulder sit?

Had the same thought. Preps or shoulder sits gets you higher and sounds safer to me :confused:

Back