High School Signs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 12, 2011
How to make your own signs/banners?
I'm coaching an allstar team but for our annual showcase we need to do a cheer and we thought about spelling our teamname with these little banners. I wanna make them myself, but I'm not sure which material to use and how to make sure they look clean and easy to read.
I did an attempt, but they ended up looking very "selfmade".

How to make your own signs/banners?
I'm coaching an allstar team but for our annual showcase we need to do a cheer and we thought about spelling our teamname with these little banners. I wanna make them myself, but I'm not sure which material to use and how to make sure they look clean and easy to read.
I did an attempt, but they ended up looking very "selfmade".
It should not be too difficult:
Materials needed:
-Fabric (base): something light. If you are making individual letters on each banner like a flag get 1 yard each. If you want to make one long banner, then get as many yards as needed.
-Fabric for letters (you can use vinyl, but you will need a vinyl cutter or order the vinyl letters from someone then you will have to heat press......but fabric is a complete DIY (do it yourself) option)......1 yard should give you at least 4 letters (18" X 18-36) if the fabric is 52+ inched wide.
-Wonderunder: you should be able to get this at any craft store. 1 yard should give 2 18" letters.
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks
-Fabric paint: in the bottle with a fine point on top.....color should match fabric being used for letters unless you want it to stand out
-scissors/rotery cutter and cutting mat, yard stick
-Wood sticks: can be found at any craft store, pick a size that can be held easily but stiff enough not to break
- Iron
Directions/Instructions:
1. cut your base fabric to the desired size. use the rotery cutter and mat
2. Iron wonderunder to letter fabric per instructions on packet
3. Print letters and/or trace backwards (mirror image) on the paper side of the wonder-under
4. Use scissors to cut carefully and as straight as you can
5. Peal off paper backing from your letter(s)
6. Center fabric letter(s) on base fabric....if it is big, use straight pins to hold in place. remove pins by section as you press
7. Take the fabric paint and trace along the edge of the letters. you will need a steady hand to make sure it looks nice. this step is optional. if after pressing there is no fraying and it looks good, then you do not need the paint
8. Take the swivel sticks and hot glue edge of fabric. I recommend wrapping the base fabric around the stick at least twice and glue again to make sure it is secured properly
And viola!!!!!!!
Good luck and if you do it let me know how it turned out

Back