High School Simon Says

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It's like you live my life.

So to take this sort of off topic, how does everyone handle sending info out these days? I really can't handle the constant texts anymore but i get the feeling that half my families dont do email....and loose handouts just seem to be left everwhere and a waste of paper (and my time to copy...)
Primary contact is email. It's in the contract that they have an email that is checked daily. I used to exhaust myself with updating the website, facebook, instagram, and twitter only to have everyone still texting me with questions that had already been answered. I refuse to now! Social media is used for spreading word on events to the general public (fundraisers and such) but no longer for team information. Email for info, remind text app for last minute updates (practice cancelled for snow type things) and that's it. If they text me something that has generally never been answered or was worded poorly and needs clarification, then I will respond. If it's something that's addressed elsewhere, my response is check your emails or ask a teammate. I'm not every girl and parents personal secretary.

Primary contact is email. It's in the contract that they have an email that is checked daily. I used to exhaust myself with updating the website, facebook, instagram, and twitter only to have everyone still texting me with questions that had already been answered. I refuse to now! Social media is used for spreading word on events to the general public (fundraisers and such) but no longer for team information. Email for info, remind text app for last minute updates (practice cancelled for snow type things) and that's it. If they text me something that has generally never been answered or was worded poorly and needs clarification, then I will respond. If it's something that's addressed elsewhere, my response is check your emails or ask a teammate. I'm not every girl and parents personal secretary.

I'm next on this train

We have a parent group text chat with the coach. The cheerleaders have a separate one with her. In some years (and will this year), they have one without the coach.

No one uses email, everything is by text.

We have a parent group text chat with the coach. The cheerleaders have a separate one with her. In some years (and will this year), they have one without the coach.

No one uses email, everything is by text.
In my experience, I have found any type of group chat turns toxic at some point. Our school doesn't allow coaches to do group chats for that very reason. Even if everything remains good, group chats just get annoying. Then people mute them and they're right back to no longer getting the info again. We use services that allow coaches to mass text that the parents & kids can't reply to, but again that's limited to so many characters, so we use it for last minute things.

Our dance team used to have a private message board. We tried it once. In theory it was an awesome idea, and it worked for them. Getting everyone to check it wasn't worth the hassle!

In my experience, I have found any type of group chat turns toxic at some point. Our school doesn't allow coaches to do group chats for that very reason. Even if everything remains good, group chats just get annoying. Then people mute them and they're right back to no longer getting the info again. We use services that allow coaches to mass text that the parents & kids can't reply to, but again that's limited to so many characters, so we use it for last minute things.

Our dance team used to have a private message board. We tried it once. In theory it was an awesome idea, and it worked for them. Getting everyone to check it wasn't worth the hassle!

Wow! Mostly, it is the coach letting us parents know about practice times and places. We don't usually practice at the high school. I think there are only two girls that drive, so the parents need to know if they have to pick up to take to practice.

Hardly any one ever responds. Sometimes a "thanks" or something, but never more than one or two people.

Wow! Mostly, it is the coach letting us parents know about practice times and places. We don't usually practice at the high school. I think there are only two girls that drive, so the parents need to know if they have to pick up to take to practice.

Hardly any one ever responds. Sometimes a "thanks" or something, but never more than one or two people.
I hope it stays like that. Unfortunately we haven't had that experience. One of our feeder schools cheer team imploded last season over group chats, so much so that the principals pulled them out of class and threatened to end their season. Parents aren't much better.

I hope it stays like that. Unfortunately we haven't had that experience. One of our feeder schools cheer team imploded last season over group chats, so much so that the principals pulled them out of class and threatened to end their season. Parents aren't much better.

I use Teamsnap for the purpose of sending mass texts and emails. I use Facebook for posting "atta girls" and as a redundant means of communication. I like both because I can upload documents to them and get them turned in.

Back