High School Size Of Team(s)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Wow those poor 2 kids who don't make the cut! Lol

How do you decide how many you will have?

Are these all separate cheer teams or do they overlap? (Like do you have 12 kids that cheer for football and 12 different kids that cheer for soccer?) I know some of them are different seasons, but if they are the same season do they cheer for more than one sport? (For instance at my high school, football and soccer were both fall sports. We only had "fall cheerleaders" that cheered for all football games and some soccer games)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Those two poor kids had less than 60% of the score, that's my cut off point. After that I am only allowed, by the school, to take up to 10 cheerleaders. This year, so far after our meeting, I only have 7 trying out. We just had a referendum to consolidate with another school not pass and there are many kids who are not going to be going to school there next year as they fear most opportunities will be taken away as budget cuts happen. I'm sure that and the fact that last year was nothing but drama I expected low numbers.
In this situation, if only 7 do tryout, I will take all of those that make the 60%, but no less than 5. Granted, if number 6 and number 7 are close to 60% then I will go ahead and take them, but I'm hoping more girls come to the first clinic and I can get at least 8.

As far as what we cheer at, we do home and away games, all varsity basketball tournaments, and at least 1 jv tournament. Our school does not have football, so we only have basketball season to cheer for.

My school has 700-800 students. Last year was the first year we had cheerleading (I came from another school) and I had 45 try out. I took 20 on the varsity team and everyone else on JV. The varsity team was the competition team. They competed at only one competition. The JV squad was more of a club. They got together, with me, once a week to learn basics.
This year, we only did the varsity team. We had approx 40 girls try out and took 20. Only 7 girls returned from last year's varsity. They attended 3 competitions this year. Our team does not cheer for any school sports. Most teams here (Canada) don't. We are strictly a competition team.

My last school had approx 1200 students. When I coached there we had usually around 100 girls try out. We would take between 30 and 40 girls depending on talent.

At our competitions, teams are divided by level, coed/all girl, and size. Levels are novice (level 2 skills), intermediate (level 3), and advanced (level 4). Novice is the only level to not divide coed/all girl. Size is 20 & under - small and 21 & over - large (with no upper limit).

For those of you with alternates on the team...how does that work? I'd love to have alternates for team but can't really ask for parents to pay a huge sum of money (all sports are paid completely by the parents) and then not compete at all.

\
For those of you with alternates on the team...how does that work? I'd love to have alternates for team but can't really ask for parents to pay a huge sum of money (all sports are paid completely by the parents) and then not compete at all.

Parents knew up front that your kid could be selected as an alternate which meant they'd do everything except compete. It was up to the parent to decide if that was cool with them. Most were because they knew that their kid was an "on the bubble" kid anyway and were just happy for them to not be on JV again. (to be honest)

At my old high school our alternates were required to be at all practices and cheered at all the games with everyone else. They basically did everything the "regular" members of the time did except competitions. At practices while we were working on the parts of the routine they were supposed to be conditioning or working on jumps, tumbling & cheers. They went to all the competitions, including nationals, and cheered the team on.

The team is told prior to tryouts that there will be alternates. How many is different every year. Our alternates do everything but compete. We usually announce who are alternates are prior to chore camp in the summer. They alternates do get choreographed into the routine. They are placed in formations so that when they aren't there it isn't noticeable. At practice they practice in the routine just like everyone else. If we have an exhibition or perform at a game the alternates are left in the routine.

At my old high school our alternates were required to be at all practices and cheered at all the games with everyone else. They basically did everything the "regular" members of the time did except competitions. At practices while we were working on the parts of the routine they were supposed to be conditioning or working on jumps, tumbling & cheers. They went to all the competitions, including nationals, and cheered the team on.

Same for the team I've coached. It's not as if you will "warm the bench" all season. You'll do everything that everyone does except for comps.

People always assume that they won't EVER see the mat, but when I coached last year, I had 3 and ALL of them ended up competing at various points in the season due to injuries, illness, etc.

My school has 700-800 students. Last year was the first year we had cheerleading (I came from another school) and I had 45 try out. I took 20 on the varsity team and everyone else on JV. The varsity team was the competition team. They competed at only one competition. The JV squad was more of a club. They got together, with me, once a week to learn basics.
This year, we only did the varsity team. We had approx 40 girls try out and took 20. Only 7 girls returned from last year's varsity. They attended 3 competitions this year. Our team does not cheer for any school sports. Most teams here (Canada) don't. We are strictly a competition team.

My last school had approx 1200 students. When I coached there we had usually around 100 girls try out. We would take between 30 and 40 girls depending on talent.

At our competitions, teams are divided by level, coed/all girl, and size. Levels are novice (level 2 skills), intermediate (level 3), and advanced (level 4). Novice is the only level to not divide coed/all girl. Size is 20 & under - small and 21 & over - large (with no upper limit).

I think alternates only really work here because we have games. For a competition only squad I think it would be hard to convince parents to pay for their kid to be an alternate. For our alternates, they cheer games but just don't compete. They have spots for when we do assemblies/game time performances, but they're not on the actual competition floor. So they're still doing a lot. For you it probably wouldn't work :/ unless you pulled from JV (like, you're on JV but if we need an alternate it'll be you). Maybe you could do that in the future if you ever being back JV.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

For us all alternates attend all practices and games and they still learn the competition routine. After all it is their job to step in if needed. I still treat them as though they are on the squad because they are, but they also have a special role of being an alternate. Hopefully that makes sense haha!

Just a cheer girl livin in the cheer world

Our high school has approx. 2300 students. This year about 50 girls tried out for Varsity (only juniors and seniors can make the team) and 22 made it. For JV there were approx. 40 (only sophomores and juniors) and 12 made the team (4 of them tried out for Varsity and didn't make it). About 45 tried out for the Freshman squad and of course only freshman can make it and 12 made the squad. Our cheer squads do not compete and only Varsity travels to away games. If our team makes it to the playoffs then all squads cheer (they also all cheer at the homecoming game). The same squads cheer for all sports; football, basketball, softball and baseball. For basketball season they divide the squad into random groups to cheer at the Varsity games. For softball and baseball they only go to 2 home games and sit in the stands as a group-they don't cheer. If the games are more than an hour away the school rents charter buses for the athletes, band, drill team and cheerleaders. Each group gets their own bus. A lot of the high schools in our area have competition squads but our school focuses on sideline cheering since our teams usually make it to state or at least the playoffs.

School of a little over 2000. Varsity has between 22-27 & JV about 20-24. Freshman & sophomores can make either team but juniors & seniors can only make V. We go to home & away games & usually have our own busses. All of JV does comp. but they usually only exhibition at a few of the V comps. Not everyone on Varsity is on the comp team but they do have alternates, usually 2-4. They do side line but still have to come to every comp practice & comp. Usually 2 will be in full uniform w/ the team. Last year 2 of the alternates were needed for 3 comps. You just never know. They are just as much a part of the team as the girls that are on the mat & they know it. JV is required to go to all of V comps to help cheer them on. We are a Virginia school & cheering is considered a sport, so we can only got to comps in our state. We have won States twice & last year missed it by .5. So they are going to be a little hungry this year.;) Our tryouts are next week & I have 2 trying out this year. 1 cp will be a freshman & is trying out for JV & oldest cp will be a senior & on V. (her 4th & final year of hs cheer:() This is all for football cheer, basketball cheer holds tryouts after football & is much more relaxed. This also allows the all star cheer kids not to have both teams to worry with anymore. Our States is in early Nov. just as all star comp season is kicking off. I would love for our high schools to be able to go to Nationals in Fla., but can't happen, dang VA!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back