All-Star Skipping Levels

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not a lot of kids want to do Sr1. Also, by that age, many kids have the strength and body awareness to do level 2 stunts. I find a lot of smaller gyms offer Sr 2 to keep the new kids interested in the stunting and forego levelled tumbling. Being 17 and doing thigh stands can be a little boring, I would think. Level 2 gives them a bit more of a challenge stunt wise but isn't crazy advanced for tumbling (ie. competing against other teams with lays/fulls). The athletes can still work WO's and BHS here. (Not saying I believe in teams that aren't levelled, but I can see why clubs do this).

this is the very reason senior 4.2 was created. it is close to what most school teams are doing. then they can perform the higher stunting skills and not have to compete against anyone throwing much more advanced tumbling. though if they've truly never stunted before, safety-wise i would prefer they started at minimum level 2... but it is easier to teach stunting than tumbling at an older age, so it balances out.

It was much easier to skip levels when I was in cheer. I started in the 8th grade and was put on a Junior Intermediate team (level 3/4) with no tumbling what-so-ever. The next year we were Junior 2/intermediate (levels were 1, 2 and 3) and at this point I had a BHS and a round-off tuck. By the end of the season I had jumps to tuck so I went straight to our Senior 5 team the next year.

I went from a Sr. 2 to a Sr. 4. The coaches gaveme a choice between a Jr. 3 team and a Sr.4 team. I honestly still should have been on level 2 but I chose flying on level four. I really regret that decision because I lacked the skills and confidance.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

this is the very reason senior 4.2 was created. it is close to what most school teams are doing. then they can perform the higher stunting skills and not have to compete against anyone throwing much more advanced tumbling. though if they've truly never stunted before, safety-wise i would prefer they started at minimum level 2... but it is easier to teach stunting than tumbling at an older age, so it balances out.

Yup. I love 4.2 for that reason. I'm an old tumbler, so being stuck at level 1/2 cos of my lack of tumbling when I was younger would have sucked.

We had a girl who started tumbling classes one year with just a roundoff. By the start of the next cheer season she had her full and was placed on L5 her very first year of cheer. They also decided to try her out as a flyer and ended up as point flyer because she was sooo good. She was amazing.

I skipped around levels a lot. Started off on Y3, then went to S2, S3, S5. never was on a Junior team or level 4 team. it is a pretty common practice. I know very few people who have graduated levels in perfect order

One of my good friends started high school cheer her freshman year with a gymnastics background. She came to our tryout with a round off spring tuck, and nothing else.

Fast forward to her junior year and she had a front tuck thru to full, two to full, ro spring full spring tuck, standing tuck and a standing arabian. Along with solid level 4 flying skills

This isn't really skipping levels bc it's high school cheer but she progressed really fast and is just soooo good

I do believe that anyone who has no or little cheer experience should either be on a level 1 or 2 team no matter their age. I do not see the point in placing an athlete on a higher level team if they do not have the skills. Like you said progression of skills is very important, but at the same time if you spent two years on a level 3 team and in that time you gained level 5 skills I do think it is fine to skip level 4.

Ok... so if you really want to know what you got to do to skip levels, it's:

up up down down left right left right B A (select if you want a friend to come with you) start

Looks like someone has been playing a little too much videogames lately...

So anyways, I'd like to thank everyone for giving their perspective on this thread. It definitely brings light to aspects of cheer I've never quite stopped and thought about.
;)

I have seen a girl go straight to level 5. She was an ex-gymnast, i believe. She has her full, and she knew how to fly (hs cheer?).She seems to do fine at level 5 but she is very athletic. BUT on the other hand, i have a friend who has NEVER cheered before. Ever. She took tumbling for 1 1/2 year, so she has a front tuck and somewhat a back handspring. She's on a level 3 team. I have no clue how shes going to get through a routine. I mean she doesnt tumble at all in her routine, but running around on that floor and doing hard stunt series will make you feel exhausted.

One of my good friends started high school cheer her freshman year with a gymnastics background. She came to our tryout with a round off spring tuck, and nothing else.

Fast forward to her junior year and she had a front tuck thru to full, two to full, ro spring full spring tuck, standing tuck and a standing arabian. Along with solid level 4 flying skills

This isn't really skipping levels bc it's high school cheer but she progressed really fast and is just soooo good

How do you do a standing Arabian cause that sounds really cool

How do you do a standing Arabian cause that sounds really cool

Just like half front tuck is how I always thought of it lol she landed on her butt a lot when she was learning.

When I get home I can find a video if you want haha. There's a girl in one video that competes a toe touch, Arabian, punch front and it's sooooo cool I'll post that one too

Back