All-Star Sleepover Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2011
I'm having a sleepover at the gym for my J1's next week, ahead of their first ever competition. What fun things have you guys done at sleepovers, and what things would you recommend I avoid? There will be about 16 9-15 y/o's with a couple of my S3 helpers and 3 coaches for 24 hours noon-noon. I'm planning on working them hard and breaking up training to show them episodes of Cheer! but I also want to do some fun team bonding activities.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks

- Since it's almost Halloween, maybe you can build in some Halloween themed activities: pumpkin carving, toilet paper mummy, candy corn relays
- Some sort of team bonding craft is always fun. Examples are: tie dye sports bras, make a team ankle bracelet, bedazzle the competition bags, etc.
- Break everyone into small groups and use the music from other teams at the gym to make up a routine. Set a time limit and then perform it.

Have fun!!

One thing my kids always loved doing was making bows or hair things... I would buy fabric in gym colors, cut it into strips, and they would tie them on a rubber band. They can use them around a pony tail or bun, and the younger ones wore them all the time. It was cheap and easy. You can also do the same for flip flops-have them tie fabric around the plastic parts. At Hobby Lobby, they have plain black or white flip flops for $1.50 or so.

We are having our first senior sleepover this Friday. The girls are not allowed to bring ipads, ipods, cellphone, laptops...ect... We are making halloween themed bows and T-shirts, having a jump and stunt contest. Cheer movies and popcorn. Practice cheer hair and makeup and my favorite mellows on the fire with scary stories.

Good luck with your sleepover!! Hope you have a cheertastic night! :shaka:

Buy little sticky jewels and have girls bedazzle bows, shoes, or basically anything. Have a "biggest poof contest" Get the gym/team shirts and have girls cut the bottoms upwards and put beads in the gym colors on the cuts, make bracelets with beads/letter beads in team colors. Get water bottles (saw a ton of huge ones at the dollar store) and have girls decorate them with sharpies, special markers, Contest - see which stunt group can stay up the longest doing a skill, Contest - see who can do the most front walkovers/back walkovers, etc. (Reward with candy, bows, etc),

One thing I've learned with that age group is a little unstructured time is ok, but after 10 or 15 minutes mine are bored or into something they shouldn't be. Keep them entertained the whole time! Our kids all time favorite is scavenger hunts. They love them! They also like the machine game, freeze dance, and any kind of contest - highest rebound. most straddle rolls in a row, longest stunt - or team races & obstacle courses.

We also don't allow phones, ipods, or ipads! I highly recommend taking those up!

Our guys love playing hide and seek, the older ones also have been known to play in the dark. Just make sure you find them all, we had one of our juniors stay hidden under the trampoline which is in the pit for 20 mins after they finished playing

we run summer challenges for our kids (even my now seniors get way into it) split them into teams and they do fun activities like scavenger hunts, photo challenges, races etc etc etc theres a few videos on my youtube account
- summer 2011

one week of 2012 (this still makes me laugh)

Just had a lock-in/sleepover at the gym for our J1 team last weekend. We had 3 hours of choreography first, so that killed a lot of time, but after that we did the following:

-Pumpkin decorating
-Snacks, pizza, etc./Unstructured time
-We brought in a projector hooked up to a laptop and the girls watched Bring It On projected huge on the wall in the gym.

We only had about 3 hours to work with, so we didn't do a whole lot. But, the girls seemed to have a lot of fun. Age range of our J1 team is 8-13.

this has nothing to do with cheerleading persay but we taped people to the wall... separate the girls into stunt groups put the flyers on a bench and have the base groups tape them to a wall give them a timeline as to how long they should have for taping 5-10 minutes, when thats up pull the bench from underneath the flyers and see who stays up the longest, its a total blast to see solutions and problem solving and really brings the groups together

Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm doing the following: training 12-4 with a break to watch ep 1 Cheer! Early tea watching ep 2. Usual training 5:30-7, pizza and ep 3,4 of cheer. Back in gym at 9 for games. Ep 5 of cheer, lights out at 12. Tues morning is team bonding activities. I've had them all make a card and a £1 max good luck charm for a name they pulled out. I have heart shaped beads for their shoes and I'm going to do the cut up heart thing. I have ribbon for motivational bows and we're making banners for the comp. home at 12 noon to collapse through exhaustion!

this has nothing to do with cheerleading persay but we taped people to the wall... separate the girls into stunt groups put the flyers on a bench and have the base groups tape them to a wall give them a timeline as to how long they should have for taping 5-10 minutes, when thats up pull the bench from underneath the flyers and see who stays up the longest, its a total blast to see solutions and problem solving and really brings the groups together

Bahahaha! This is the best idea I've ever heard! How much tape did you use per flyer? Like how many rolls of (duct?) tape are we talking here??? :)

Back