OT Some Science Project I Have To Do...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Apr 9, 2011
So for my physics class we're doing a project where we have to mail 2 chicken eggs to my teachers friend in st louis without them breaking. (his friend mails them back to our teacher.) the rules are:

-the package has to be lightweight (cannot exceed 150 grams)
-it has to be small (less than 1300 cm cubed)
-you cant use packing foam, bubble wrap, or anything like that.
-you cant use any type of food (except for the eggs, of course.)

PLEASE HELP US!!! my friend and i had an idea to just wrap the eggs in cotton balls, but we tested that today in class and it didnt work. does anyone have any idea? we really need help...

not sure if any of these follow the rules but just off the top of my head cause i'm sick/bored & have nothing better to do:
- crumpled up tissue paper/paper towels
- can you do anything with clothing? socks?
- this is probably impossible but i just thought of it looking at birthday balloons in my house haha is there a way you could get each egg into a balloon? like cut the end off & stretch it over? idk maybe it would keep it safe lol..

anyways that's such a cool project! good luck :)

Get some straws (like McD's drinking straws) and wrap them around or cut them up and make sure it's all covered. Go around it in tape. And another lair of straws and tape. Should be good!

Lol my daughter had to do this but I just went to the store and bought some bubble wrap and put the egg right in the middle and it worked. Unfortunately you said you can't do that.. So.

I like the boiled idea but I have a feeling that defeats the purpose all though you didnt mention you couldnt do it.

Since all that probably fails I liked where Hannah was going with the balloons if thats even possible!
Good luck

I saw this a while ago somewhere.

Use pantyhose. Put egg in the leg and stretch inside a box. Fix the ends to the box so the egg is suspended inside the box.

I don't remember much more of the specifics but maybe google?

2) TRY PANTY HOSE - Panty hose or nylon stockings are stretchy and work really well if used properly to protect the egg. You'll need:

one pair of panty hose
scissors
two rubber bands
a box
stapler
the egg!
Take the stockings and cut off one of the legs. Now insert the egg and place it near the center of leg, near the knee area. Take the rubber bands and place them tightly around the stockings near the egg. This prevents the egg from moving around in the stocking. Pull the stocking tightly across the box diagonally so that the egg is positioned in the center of the box. Staple the two ends of the panty hose while continuing to pull it tightly in a diagonal position. This will secure the egg in position to protect it during the drop.

Completely not helpful to you, but this reminds me of a story my mother told me. During WWII her brother was in the army and she wanted to send him some goodies, so she mailed him a pie (she was only 10). What a mess.

2) TRY PANTY HOSE - Panty hose or nylon stockings are stretchy and work really well if used properly to protect the egg. You'll need:

one pair of panty hose
scissors
two rubber bands
a box
stapler
the egg!
Take the stockings and cut off one of the legs. Now insert the egg and place it near the center of leg, near the knee area. Take the rubber bands and place them tightly around the stockings near the egg. This prevents the egg from moving around in the stocking. Pull the stocking tightly across the box diagonally so that the egg is positioned in the center of the box. Staple the two ends of the panty hose while continuing to pull it tightly in a diagonal position. This will secure the egg in position to protect it during the drop.

If you do this, make sure you pull the pantyhose VERY tautly, otherwise they'll act as a sort of oscillating spring and the egg will be able to hit the sides of the box, which makes it (obviously) more susceptible to breaking. You want the structure to be as close to rigid as possible.

Hand deliver it? :p this might sound like a stupid idea but it works in my mind, attach springs over the eggs so if they drops they just bounce, or something that would increase the stopping time if the eggs were to fall so the inpact on them wasn't as great/ didn't cause them to break :)

Just had a thought on this, has your teacher done this before? I am thinking of eggs breaking in packages and then leaking through the packing material. First, it's kind of gross, second, with there being more intense scrutiny of packages now, the post office may not appreciate this at all. My daughter's physics class did the same thing, they just dropped the package from the second floor. Another plus - no shipping costs. ;)

Back