All-Star Special Needs Team Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It does so much good. It helps prevent bullying of people with disabilities. It raises awareness about what those with disabilities can do. It brings so many people together. It is also like getting occupational, speech, and physical therapy all at once. It helps these athletes with their social skills. My kids do better in school because of their experiences with cheer. I wish that they should show this side of cheer in the reality shows. I promise I will get off my soap box now :)

Cheersport also throws a pizza party after the division is done Day 1! The kids LOVE IT!! It's so much fun! All the athletes, coaches, and parents get to mingle and talk with other teams. Overall Cheersport's treatment of special needs athletes is amazing. We love going every year.

Posted this in the NCA thread but felt it applies here as well...

I've always thought of it like that 12stepCheermom. Most of those parents do (and are tweeting about it) *I was talking about being scored* If you single out people for being handicapped, you're always drawing attention to the fact that they're not "normal". Parents who don't let their little children ask what's wrong when they see someone/something they don't understand are really just doing the other person a disservice. I cannot tell you how many times I've been thanked by people for allowing my daughter to ask what's wrong instead of her wondering out loud and me telling her to "shhh". I have many examples, but the most recent involved a man w/an artifical limb. We were at the dr. waiting for my appt. and she wanted to know what was wrong w/his leg. Even though she was quiet, it was obvious he heard her. We told her to go over and ask him, so she did. The gentleman was over the moon happy!! He said that's all he ever wishes for and he never gets it bc parents are too embarrassed that their kids are naturally wondering why someone was missing a limb and won't let them ask/tell them to "shhh", etc.

He proceeded to tell my daughter what happened and showed her what he could do w/his leg AND we found out that there are some really incredible advances that have come along w/artificial limbs. He was so happy bc he said that's what makes him feel "normal". I've always felt by not acknowledging the obvious you're just teaching your kid (albeit inadvertently) that they're "different" or "abnormal" compared to the rest of us, thus they whisper and even pick on handicap kids bc they lack the understanding. That's also exactly what that man told us as well. They're not stupid and by letting them all win, I'm willing to bet that instead of making them feel better, it makes them feel worse bc then you're saying, "hey, y'all aren't normal compared to all these other athletes". The Special Olympics is scored after all, right? Just my 2cents.

Posted this in the NCA thread but felt it applies here as well...

I've always thought of it like that 12stepCheermom. Most of those parents do (and are tweeting about it) *I was talking about being scored* If you single out people for being handicapped, you're always drawing attention to the fact that they're not "normal". Parents who don't let their little children ask what's wrong when they see someone/something they don't understand are really just doing the other person a disservice. I cannot tell you how many times I've been thanked by people for allowing my daughter to ask what's wrong instead of her wondering out loud and me telling her to "shhh". I have many examples, but the most recent involved a man w/an artifical limb. We were at the dr. waiting for my appt. and she wanted to know what was wrong w/his leg. Even though she was quiet, it was obvious he heard her. We told her to go over and ask him, so she did. The gentleman was over the moon happy!! He said that's all he ever wishes for and he never gets it bc parents are too embarrassed that their kids are naturally wondering why someone was missing a limb and won't let them ask/tell them to "shhh", etc.

He proceeded to tell my daughter what happened and showed her what he could do w/his leg AND we found out that there are some really incredible advances that have come along w/artificial limbs. He was so happy bc he said that's what makes him feel "normal". I've always felt by not acknowledging the obvious you're just teaching your kid (albeit inadvertently) that they're "different" or "abnormal" compared to the rest of us, thus they whisper and even pick on handicap kids bc they lack the understanding. That's also exactly what that man told us as well. They're not stupid and by letting them all win, I'm willing to bet that instead of making them feel better, it makes them feel worse bc then you're saying, "hey, y'all aren't normal compared to all these other athletes". The Special Olympics is scored after all, right? Just my 2cents.
'insert bowing smiley'

I think we are selling our kids short when we say they "just want the experience." I love the fact that NCA only gives jackets to the winners. That is life. Many of these kids are no less competitive than their peers.

When we didn't win last year in Dallas, there were plenty of tears by a good portion of the team. They worked hard and were disappointed - just like every single other team there that day that experienced a moment of disappointment when they didn't win. But they got over it quickly, were proud of their achievement and learned from their loss.

My daughter has Down syndrome and she is quite aware of how she is different. That is why she loves cheer, especially since for the most part, their teams are treated equally. She loves going to the same competitions as everybody else, loves being a part of something so 'regular.' I have mentioned this before, but after a couple of years, she told me "Mom, I finally feel normal when I do cheer."

I am not cheer world savy, but it does seem that levels are needed, such as levels of assistance; unassisted, partially assisted, completely assisted for example. Taking points off for having helpers on the mat could possibly lead to discrimination by some uber competitive gyms. We are blessed to be a part of a very inclusive gym, but it would not be hard to imagine some other places excluding those that needed help in order to win.

I wish more would score the special needs division. The athletes want feedback just like everybody else. As said above, the athletes may have special needs, but they are not stupid.

That said, the special needs division is practically perfect. I love the camaraderie between teams, even as rivals.

I love the sportsmanship I see by other 'typical' teams when our team walks down a hallway. I will never forget my first trip to Dallas and having tears in my eyes as teams from all over the country stopped to yell "good luck" as the team walked the hallways.

The support from other teams and other parents is incredible!! We are unbelievably lucky in that we continuously get to experience the best of the cheer world.

I have worked quite a bit with special needs horseback riding. It's a popular sport at the Paralympics and there are TONS of Theraputic riding centers in this country. Doing something they love is so great!

Anyway.. At the horse shows, they are divided into categories based on their level of handicap. I believe there are 3, but there might be 4 levels. The first level is filled with athletes that are highly functioning, and the fourth is for people who need lots of assistance. Their "routines" vary greatly in difficulty per level. I works great and keeps the playing field fair. Maybe as special needs cheer grows, they could find a way to do something similar. :)

I have worked quite a bit with special needs horseback riding. It's a popular sport at the Paralympics and there are TONS of Theraputic riding centers in this country. Doing something they love is so great!
I helped out with a special needs horse backing riding class when I was in middle school. You could tell that all the kids really loved it!

Anyway.. At the horse shows, they are divided into categories based on their level of handicap. I believe there are 3, but there might be 4 levels. The first level is filled with athletes that are highly functioning, and the fourth is for people who need lots of assistance. Their "routines" vary greatly in difficulty per level. I works great and keeps the playing field fair. Maybe as special needs cheer grows, they could find a way to do something similar. :)

We will need a LOT more special needs teams to be able to do this.

I am not cheer world savy, but it does seem that levels are needed, such as levels of assistance; unassisted, partially assisted, completely assisted for example. Taking points off for having helpers on the mat could possibly lead to discrimination by some uber competitive gyms. We are blessed to be a part of a very inclusive gym, but it would not be hard to imagine some other places excluding those that needed help in order to win.

You hit my biggest concern on the head. I wish we could be divided by average age and by assistance level.

You hit my biggest concern on the head.

My biggest concern is ever getting too close to a tipping point that would cause EP's to say they just can't do it anymore. We can't have too much on any one group that participates in providing these services.

My biggest concern is ever getting too close to a tipping point that would cause EP's to say they just can't do it anymore. We can't have too much on any one group that participates in providing these services.

That would be a sad day :(

That would be a sad day :(

I don't think we're close to it. But it's been my number one fear from the very first day. That's why I've always tried to reign people in and let the division evolve instead of explode.

'insert bowing smiley'

I think we are selling our kids short when we say they "just want the experience." I love the fact that NCA only gives jackets to the winners. That is life. Many of these kids are no less competitive than their peers.

I think this is the difference between a parent of an older special needs athlete and a parent of a younger special needs athlete. My kids HAVE been excluded from so many activities because of their disabilities that any time they are welcome and WANTED in an activity, I am happy and thankful. My kids are very flexible and light. For once what the medical community looks at as negative, there is a sport where it is positive. That is very cool! My kids have only been doing this for two seasons. I know they are still in the love the experience stage. They are learning new skills and growing as athletes and people. Jackets and medals are nice and all, but the life lessons and experiences and skills they have gained at practice and with their team are far more valuable. My 7yr old cp was in the hospital in January. All he would talk about was going home so he could cheer at a competition in a couple of weeks. Some of the nurses were former all star cheerleaders. A couple had kids on Sting Rays teams. He was motivated to comply with the medical staff so he could get better quickly so he could cheer with his team. That is all that mattered to him. Some of my kids' nurses cheered my kids' team on at Cheersport. We cheered on their teams too. My 7 yr old cp was in the hospital the following week. They praised him for doing so well. Cheer makes our kids and our family feel normal. Again, there are some teams in this division that are like level 5 worlds teams. There are some teams that are like mini or tiny teams. Both are OK. I am glad and thankful people are realizing that these kids have athletic potential and giving us a chance. So yes, for us, we are just thankful for the experience.

Does anyone have any good videos of the special needs teams? I want to show my mom some, but having a hard time finding any with good video quality.

Thanks!

Tell her to look for Maryland twisters eye of the storm or Legacy Showcats on YouTube. They are incredible.

Back