Sportsmanship

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

E

Editor

Read Full Article...

As cheerleaders, sportsmanship is a critical part of our jobs. To me, good sportsmanship means always staying positive, enjoying the activity you are participating in for the activity itself, and respecting yourself, your teammates and your competitors along the way. As cheerleaders, we are visible members in our community that have the responsibility to be leaders on sportsmanship. Especially on the sidelines, we help lead positive fan behavior in support of our team.
Cheerleading has taught me so many valuable life lessons, and having good sportsmanship is definitely one of them. As a cheerleader and a UCA staff member, I have been able to travel across the country to work with and watch other college cheerleading programs. It’s such a rewarding experience to see how different each program is, but also how their fans respond to them all so well! You have to respect any team that gets over 90,000 people to stand on their feet and yell “GEAUX TIGERS,”O-H-I-O,” or “Rocky Top.”
LSU and Tennessee are two of our biggest rivals in all sports, including cheerleading, but through my work with UCA, I have become really close with several members of both of these squads. Even though we are rivals, I can’t stop myself from running across the field to the opposite sideline to embrace them when our teams meet! This is one of my favorite ways to demonstrate good sportsmanship on the field in front of our fans.
As cheerleaders, it’s important to remember how many people in our communities watch our every move and imitate our actions. There have been times when I’ve gotten caught up in all the rivalry that I’ve forgotten school spirit is less about tearing down our opponent and more about supporting our school. I hope that throughout the rest of this season we can all remember this and continue to show good sportsmanship on and off the field! America Needs Cheerleaders to set the example!
- Ryan Martin
The post Sportsmanship appeared first on .

Back