Standing Bhs Help?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2012
I know there are probably a few posts about this but they are usually about mental blocks and not acutally DOING the BHS. I am definetly not afraid to throw it, but everytime I do, I just don't have enough power. I actually have thrown it by myself a couple months ago then I just lost it. How do I get more power? It feels like everytime I throw it I'm going in slow motion.

If you have a video, I could help you so much more, but if you feel like you are going slow, it probably has to do with your arms. Do not jump until your arms reach your ears... a lot of people get really excited and start jumping before they finish their arm swing. When you do that, you don't have enough time to get your arms up to your ears, because once you start jumping, everything happens really fast.

For my students, I always try to break down the skill into different parts so when they put it together, they have the muscle memory to do each part perfectly.
If you have an octagon mat, it has helped some of my kids to put it up onto a firm 8-in mat or ontop of long stack mats to make the roller taller so you have to jump higher. It could also be a core strength issue with the snap down if you are having a hard time getting your legs over quickly. If you need drills or conditioning excercise's I love using Debbie Love's website for ideas, she is a great resource!
If you have a video that would help too.

Back