Start With Cheer Prep!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Libbydin

Cheer Parent
Mar 14, 2016
My daughter is trying out for a cheer team next month, first time. She had gymnastics experience. She is 6 years old. I was planning on having her try out for an All Star team. Now, I'm learning about cheer prep teams. They have shorter practice and fewer competitions. Do any of you reccomend starting with a prep team before moving to an All Star team? Thank you in advance!

My daughter is trying out for a cheer team next month, first time. She had gymnastics experience. She is 6 years old. I was planning on having her try out for an All Star team. Now, I'm learning about cheer prep teams. They have shorter practice and fewer competitions. Do any of you reccomend starting with a prep team before moving to an All Star team? Thank you in advance!
Do what works for u and your family! See what the practice times, competition schedule, and fees are. You could possibly be doing this for many, many many years!

Make sure that the practices are shorter and there are fewer competitions. Some gyms do it that way, others treat them as a full All-Star team.

I did all star prep my first year and I'm glad I did. In my case it was a half year program. It helped me get the basics down really well. The shorter routine is also good for beginners because putting all of the elements of the routine together can be difficult when starting out. It was also half the price which was a huge benefit for me since I paid for it my first year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I don't see cheer prep versus All-Star as being that different except for money and commitment. We've done both and I prefer All-Star personally. CP is 7.

It really depends on the gym. The only requirements for prep really are the routine length and allowed skills, everything else is up to the gym.

My CP does practice less, has cheaper tuition, and doesn't go to the "big" travel comps. However they still have six competitions for this season, I think six or seven last season. Last season they attended a comp 5-6 hours away. CP's team is tiny (6 and under) but the older prep teams seem to be as good as the equivalent all star teams. At our program anyway, beginners can do well on prep or all star, it's more about how much you want to pay and commit (after tiny age).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

My CP was 7 when she started cheer. I had her do a half year squad. It gave us a good idea as to whether or not she would like it and want to truly commit to it. She loved it and after that season, she joined full season all-stars. She is now almost 12 years old and loves it more and more every day.

At that age, there might be a big difference in the programs. Considering that she is six, she would probably either be placed on a mini full year team or the prep team. In my experience a lot of prep teams encompass a broader spectrum of ages, meaning she might be put on a team that has kids up to 11 (youth) or 14 (junior) . Choreo is faster and less time might be spent on the basics (depending on the coach). You could potentially have another 13+ years in the sport, so I would look at a potential mini program first and see if it works better for you. My daughter started around that age and I am thankful that she was with kids her own age.

(Also, many mini programs do an abbreviated schedule and price structure compared to their older counterparts. Travel is sometimes less -and they might follow the prep teams and do more one day comps.)

I would look closely at what the gym has to offer.

At that age, there might be a big difference in the programs. Considering that she is six, she would probably either be placed on a mini full year team or the prep team. In my experience a lot of prep teams encompass a broader spectrum of ages, meaning she might be put on a team that has kids up to 11 (youth) or 14 (junior) . Choreo is faster and less time might be spent on the basics (depending on the coach). You could potentially have another 13+ years in the sport, so I would look at a potential mini program first and see if it works better for you. My daughter started around that age and I am thankful that she was with kids her own age.

(Also, many mini programs do an abbreviated schedule and price structure compared to their older counterparts. Travel is sometimes less -and they might follow the prep teams and do more one day comps.)

Hi,
Ok, I will look at mini team too, I thought she may be too old for that team since she is 6. But, that could be a great first start team.

Hi,
Ok, I will look at mini team too, I thought she may be too old for that team since she is 6. But, that could be a great first start team.

Minis go up until age 8 in all star [emoji7]

Last edited:

It really depends on the program. Ours has prep for every level. Our mini all star team is a lot more strenuous, travels just as the older teams excluding Disney of course, is just as expensive, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Hi,

Tiny is 6 and under as of August 31st; so if she just turned 6, she would actually be a Tiny.

My CP's is September 2008; in cheer years, she is 6 even though she is legally 7

My daughter did prep this year for the same reasons. However, the gym did not fulfill their promise, The girls were expected to train for 11 months, went to more competitions than their all star groups, and there were even surprise practices that came up at the last minute. Prep is supposed to be short, but make sure it actually is before you sign up and commit.

Back