OT Starting A Business

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 3, 2010
So I want to start a cake pops business. I've been making them for class parties, my own enjoyment, and just for fun for over a year now and everyone is always saying that I should sell them so I want to start an online business with it. I know many people have started their own bow business so I really want other's advice that have started their own.

I really want to ask Maddie G because she has her Maddie Cake business, but StarshipTrooper aka her dad is no longer on the boards so I have no way to contact her and ask.

So I want to start a cake pops business. I've been making them for class parties, my own enjoyment, and just for fun for over a year now and everyone is always saying that I should sell them so I want to start an online business with it. I know many people have started their own bow business so I really want other's advice that have started their own.

I really want to ask Maddie G because she has her Maddie Cake business, but StarshipTrooper aka her dad is no longer on the boards so I have no way to contact her and ask.
I'm pretty sure he still posts from time to time. StarshipTrooper

First thing make sure you are allowed to make cake pops in a residential home vs. a commercial kitchen.... There are strict rules regarding what you are allowed to produce at home.
If you are ok doing it, I suggest doing some holiday craft fairs. You can sell why you are there and have some brochures with pics of other items available. Good luck!

With any business- plan plan plan. How many are you comfortable making in a set amount of time? How many flavors do you want to start with since you're going to be doing this by yourself? What are you comfortable with decorating-wise? Pricing, making sure you know the laws for your area, etc. The more you plan for now, the less surprises you have. Set up a business plan. Know your upfront costs.

I also suggest starting small. Birthday parties, small events, etc. Have a web presence. SO much is done online, get in as much free marketing as you can. Test out new flavors on friends/family. Good luck!

I would use a free website generator to create a website. I really love weebly, it's very user friendly to set up, and you can even set it up so people can pay you through the internet. It will help people find you and give you a place to direct people to should they want more information.

I would use a free website generator to create a website. I really love weebly, it's very user friendly to set up, and you can even set it up so people can pay you through the internet. It will help people find you and give you a place to direct people to should they want more information.
Another suggestion is Wix. I know that if/when you should decide to upgrade to a 'paid' subscription (with your domain name), they have an e-commerce package. Either way, shop around!

ETA- You can also start with a free facebook fan page. That way people can look you up there for free and you don't need to worry about adding a link to a business card, just direct people to 'Like' you on facebook!

I'm pretty sure he still posts from time to time. StarshipTrooper
yeah, I always see him in the 'people online' box.

Plan EVERYTHING! you can never have enough organization, either.
I would start small, say just a facebook page. Give it a cute name!
Another idea, do something that sets you apart from other companies. That would make someone come to you for a cake pop rather than going through the starbucks drivethru. Something cute, and different. When my mom and I started our bow company, Bow Pop Couture, we had the idea to tie a blow pop to all our bows. (Which we can't because of copyright infringement :/ ). Maybe tie a ribbon to them! Something WAY different.

You need to calculate how much your ingredients/materials cost, in addition to the cost of your labor to decide how much to sell for so that you are actually making a profit. You also must think of costs for delivery if you are delivering a product, as it costs you gas, unless the consumer is going to pick up the item at your house.

Also, check out your local competition, as their prices,quality levels, the density of competition, etc. will effect your demand. What will make your cake pops different from anyone else's in your area? Something unique that is hard to copy is best. You need to additionally look into permits and regulations.

Also, think about how you are going to be paid/when......is it online through pay pal? If so, then what happens if they pay before getting the product and it is not to their satisfaction? Will it be cash only instead and given when the consumer receives the product? If that is the case, then what happens if someone cancels on you after you have already baked? Will you accept checks? If so, what happens if a check bounces and they already have received cake pops? While all of those scenarios may not be the every day case, you need to have a business plan for what to do if something does happen.

Here's some general things to think about:
How to Start a Home Baking Business | eHow.com

Back