Struggles With Short Hair!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 18, 2016
Firstly, I'm new to this forum so Hi :) I've been cheering for 2 years and I live in the UK.

Last year, I lost all of my hair. It's growing back now but is only about 2 inches long all over. When it first fell out I wore a wig for competitions which stayed on with tape. Now I have hair underneath I worry it won't stay on. I don't want to be worrying about this so I probably won't wear it the rest of the season. I have no idea what I can do with my hair or how to even think about getting a bow in it! Any ideas would be appreciated :)

You could wear a head band with a smaller bow on it. It's supercute and works really well for girls with short hair [emoji4]

The girl who waited...

Firstly, I'm new to this forum so Hi :) I've been cheering for 2 years and I live in the UK.

Last year, I lost all of my hair. It's growing back now but is only about 2 inches long all over. When it first fell out I wore a wig for competitions which stayed on with tape. Now I have hair underneath I worry it won't stay on. I don't want to be worrying about this so I probably won't wear it the rest of the season. I have no idea what I can do with my hair or how to even think about getting a bow in it! Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Rock the hair you have! You can do a mini- bow or a head band. Talk to your coach and see what options are going to be allowed. I'm sure it'll look great no matter what. Hair doesn't make the cheerleader.

I guess ask anyone you know who cheers and has short hair, for their opinion on having a bow. This might offend you and anyone who likes their hair, but you can remove your hair if you wanted to. However, I would suggest you talk to anyone like your coach with any advice.

One of my teammates this year wears a smaller bow on a headband that matches ours. Not sure how it stays on when she tumbles, but here's an example of one. I think they're super cute too

xbgsic.jpg

image_zps6qmzdkpg.jpg.html
So I asked my coach and turns out she had a headband already waiting for me :) I'm not sure if I'll have the confidence to not wear a wig but I'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone :)

There have been cheerleaders with alopecia in the past that have done thicker headbands with bows or had a cap made. Examples:
4e7e95ed835468794cd375d88d5069d0.jpg

presley5-300x225.jpg

(they're minors, but didn't blur because photo is from AmericaNeedsCheerleaders news article)

I know you said your hair is growing back, but just wanted to share some fierce kids who have been in your shoes. The little one is even a Varsity All Star model. I know in a world of big bows and even bigger hair it can be very tough to have high self confidence when you feel "different" but you rock that headband or whatever you choose! :)

I'd talk to your gym about getting a mini bow made that attaches to a headband. You bobby bin those in. Or, you can grab the area closest to your forehead and layer it with bands to give a bigger bow enough support to stay in. I did a band, then bow, then another band and then a few bobby pins for support when CP cut her hair super short right before her last competition.

Back