College Stunt Experience For New College Cheerleaders

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
My 2 young CPs would like to cheer for a Co Ed Team when they start College. I am curious how and when you should start getting them experience in this area. How much partner stunting experience do most new college cheerleaders start with? Also, do they get most of this experience through privates? If not, were do they get this experience? Thanks :)

Privates and stunt clinics. If they are interested in cheering at a premier co-ed school, they should have experience going in. How old are they?

My youngest is 9 (almost 10) and my oldest is 10 (almost 11). My yongest has been a flyer since show team, but it is always in group stunts. My oldest flew one year, then was a side spot one year, and this year she may get to fly some (but again it is all group stunt work). How old do you need to be to do stunt clinics? If they start doing a private for partner stuting once week would that help? I really do not know what is realistic and how early they need to start, how much practice they need, etc.

Thanks! :)

I don't think you need to stress about getting them experience until quite a few years down the line. Switching from all-girl to coed isn't terribly hard. They shouldn't need to start learning until high school.

Thanks! :)

Id say you shouldn't start until 16. But the biggest thing is having a qualified teacher. There are so many coaches out there that think they are qualified but really have no clue about proper coed stunting technique. Especially with big coed programs like UK, HPU , SFA, OSU and Louisville you need to have learned the right way. Ive seen girls with more than 4 years of experience come to tryouts and not look like like they've stunted a day in their life just because everything they did was wrong when it came to technique. So make sure who ever u have work with ur daughters has an extensive coed cheer background at the college level.

I also agree I don't think the need to sink money into privates for coed stunting prior to high school is necessary. I would add that attending college clinics as early as freshman year though is a bonus. It helps to get to know people associated with the program. Once your daughters narrow in on the school they want to attend, if its not too far you can schedule a few stunt privates with the gym the team trains at or is near.

A lot of it is just body control. If they continue to stunt on All-Girl groups, and learn proper technique, it becomes much easier to transfer into Co-ed stunting. For all you know, as they get older they may just end up on a Co-ed team prior to college!

A lot of it is just body control. If they continue to stunt on All-Girl groups, and learn proper technique, it becomes much easier to transfer into Co-ed stunting. For all you know, as they get older they may just end up on a Co-ed team prior to college!

We live in a small town. Our gym is awesome, but no Co Ed teams. We currently have level 1 - 4 teams, but no guy cheerleaders at this time.

Back