All-Star Suggestions For Improving Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 15

What suggestions do you have for improving scoring at competitions?

Judges training is the most common response to this question. Is anyone willing to tell us what they would like to see on the Judges Training 101 course outline?

Training judges on a flawed system doesnt improve the system. Its a bandage when we need a cure.

Visibility (which means showing all the scores at the end) will lead to a faster evolution of a score sheet. If you have to protect the judges decisions by not releasing any scores then your system is flawed. If you are confident to release the scores overall, then you probably have a good scoresheet.

I will reference ice skating. They had a terribly biased scoresheet with the possibility of of judges fixing the results. They ONLY changed their system when they had a horribly embarrassing situation that came to light. I fret it may take that type of situation for the industry to take action.

Training judges on a flawed system doesnt improve the system. Its a bandage when we need a cure.

Visibility (which means showing all the scores at the end) will lead to a faster evolution of a score sheet. If you have to protect the judges decisions by not releasing any scores then your system is flawed. If you are confident to release the scores overall, then you probably have a good scoresheet.

More coaches don't want details public than do.

(NCA didn't ask)

You and I started a discussion about this months ago, remember? There are many ways to improve, the folks just have to have an open mind.

I recall having the conversation, but would have to revisit it to recall the details. I don't believe many implementable ideas were generated from it.

Visibility to what degree?
I knew after I put that, this question would be asked! :)

I will admit I am not a coach or owner, I just gathered from the boards that accountability in the judging department appears to be an issue. To what extent scores need to be more visible (from more detailed breakdowns down to individual judges' scoresheets being shown to all teams), I have no idea. It jut seems if scores were more visible it may lead to more accountability. To be honest I haven't thought through potential unintended consequences by making scores more available.

I will reference ice skating. They had a terribly biased scoresheet with the possibility of of judges fixing the results. They ONLY changed their system when they had a horribly embarrassing situation that came to light. I fret it may take that type of situation for the industry to take action.

For the record I agree. I'm completely in favor of the score for every category being public.

I knew after I put that, this question would be asked! :)

I will admit I am not a coach or owner, I just gathered from the boards that accountability in the judging department appears to be an issue. To what extent scores need to be more visible (from more detailed breakdowns down to individual judges' scoresheets being shown to all teams), I have no idea. It jut seems if scores were more visible it may lead to more accountability. To be honest I haven't thought through potential unintended consequences by making scores more available.

Was the way Worlds did it, showing totals for Building, Tumbling, Dance, and Deductions enough?

SpiritFest in CT gave a breakdown of what every team in your division scored in each catergory. I loved it. I felt it was truly helpful to see who was beating you and where. Instead of just seeing that team A is beating you by 2 points, you got to see where exactly they gained those points. I wish all companies would do something similar. Just a score breakdown isn't enough.

Back