All-Star Suggestions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 17, 2011
So I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how I could deal with this. My knees are always in major pain during practice, I already wear two knee braces. Does anyone have any tips like conditioning or anything in that area? Thanks!

Strengthen your calf muscles and your hamstrings and quads, both will help somewhat with knee issues. Also stretch! Not stretching can lead to allllllll sorts of problems.

Biofreeze/Icy hot is your friend. Lol it normally helps a lot, at least to numb the pain. And I'd say taking Ib profen BEFORE practice, but I don't think that's exactly healthy... just a bad habit lol ya gotta do what ya gotta do

So I was wondering if anybody had any tips on how I could deal with this. My knees are always in major pain during practice, I already wear two knee braces. Does anyone have any tips like conditioning or anything in that area? Thanks!

Um, go see a doctor? Seriously...if its that bad, see a doctor. Physical therapy works wonders. Do whatever the doctor says. You have one body. Take care of it.

As others have said, seeing a doctor is your best option if the pain is that bad.

While you're waiting to see the doctor, stretching all of your lower body helps. Do strengthening exercises and ice and heat the knee. Ibuprofen helps too. But please see a doctor!

PLEASE GO GET THIS CHECKED OUT!

i had the same problem and i went to the doctor an i ended up having to go through 8 months of physical therapy and i have to do a set of exercises 3 times a week to avoid knee surgery. the tendons on the inside of my knee caps are VERY weak.

Biofreeze/Icy hot is your friend. Lol it normally helps a lot, at least to numb the pain. And I'd say taking Ib profen BEFORE practice, but I don't think that's exactly healthy... just a bad habit lol ya gotta do what ya gotta do

actually its better to, my doctor told me to take it an hour to half hour before practice to help keep imflamation down between my vertabre( or any painful body part). it really helps me so much. its surprisingly better for your body in the long run

1. See an ortho and make sure you don't have any current injuries (tendinitis, tears, sprains, etc. on any tendons and/or ligaments.
2. Stretch!!!! I'm 34 years old and I don't care what any current research says, I can tell you from experience that if I do NOT stretch before and after exercise (cardio and weights) I will have massive tendinitis flare ups (we're talking months in knee braces, medication, cortisone shots, etc)
3. Strengthen the surrounding muscles on your knee (quads, hamstrings, etc.)
4. Wear shoes supportive enough when you're practicing tumbling and/or jumps to help absorb the impact of the landings (this helps w/weak ankles too).
5. Physical therapy at home suggested by your ortho after you've been checked (he/she will still give you exercises to do even if you don't have any major injures..bc I'm willing to be you at least have enough inflammation on your knees to warrant it)
6. Topical prescription anti-inflammatorys like Voltaren (way better than popping motrin bc pills are absorbed systemically verses locally like topicals. You need a prescription for those though...they're not like IcyHot....)

Well braces don't really do anything as far as support. You should really condition your calfs and hamstrings.

1. See an ortho and make sure you don't have any current injuries (tendinitis, tears, sprains, etc. on any tendons and/or ligaments.
2. Stretch!!!! I'm 34 years old and I don't care what any current research says, I can tell you from experience that if I do NOT stretch before and after exercise (cardio and weights) I will have massive tendinitis flare ups (we're talking months in knee braces, medication, cortisone shots, etc)
3. Strengthen the surrounding muscles on your knee (quads, hamstrings, etc.)
4. Wear shoes supportive enough when you're practicing tumbling and/or jumps to help absorb the impact of the landings (this helps w/weak ankles too).
5. Physical therapy at home suggested by your ortho after you've been checked (he/she will still give you exercises to do even if you don't have any major injures..bc I'm willing to be you at least have enough inflammation on your knees to warrant it)
6. Topical prescription anti-inflammatorys like Voltaren (way better than popping motrin bc pills are absorbed systemically verses locally like topicals. You need a prescription for those though...they're not like IcyHot....)

I endorse this post :)

Posted about this in the Anonymous thread, but I'll say again - go see a pediatric sports medicine dr. Cp had wicked ankle/knee pain that got worse with harder/more tumbling. Turns out it was her feet, not her knees or ankles. She wears orthotics in all her shoes now and has nearly no pain.
Wouldn't have been able to fix the issue if the dr hadn't been consulted. Pay the copay and go.

There are quite a few things it could be, so seeing a Dr. is the best advice. I would suggest a Sports Medicine/Orthopedic Dr. My daughter and my son suffer from Osgood Schlatter Disease, being 16 my daughter has pretty much outgrown hers -usually much better when the growth plates have closed. *I am NOT diagnosing your condition - just giving you some general info on this particular disease. :) * Since you seem to have pain at practice.
-
Signs and symptoms of Osgood-Schlatter disease include:
  • Pain, swelling and tenderness at the bony prominence on the upper shinbone, just below the kneecap
  • Knee pain that worsens with activity — especially running, jumping and climbing stairs — and improves with rest
  • Tightness of the surrounding muscles, especially the thigh muscles (quadriceps)
The pain varies from person to person. Some have only mild pain while performing certain activities, especially running and jumping. For others, the pain is nearly constant and debilitating. Osgood-Schlatter disease usually occurs in just one knee, but sometimes it develops in both knees. The discomfort can last from weeks to months and may recur until your child has stopped growing.

Getting a proper diagnosis from a Dr. will help as then you will know how to treat the pain, to hopefully get relief.

Back