All-Star Summit Announcement?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm sure this info is somewhere, but how is it decided how many bids will be given out at specific comps? I noticed that the only Summit bid comp in Washington state is giving out three fewer bids than last year (according to the info I found, anyway). :( @WHOA_tiger

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Not happy about that one. Especially because there are so few bid comps in our area.

I'm sure this info is somewhere, but how is it decided how many bids will be given out at specific comps? I noticed that the only Summit bid comp in Washington state is giving out three fewer bids than last year (according to the info I found, anyway). :( @WHOA_tiger

And considering this competition was PACKED, it couldn't be from lack of teams showing up. There were teams from California, Colorado,Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana and Canada. Sad to lose 1 paid bid and 2 at larges at a large 2 day competition here in the NW.

I think it's awesome. The beauty of it is if you don't want to go after the WC you don't have to. You can prepare parents early enough for it IF the Summit experience is the goal. Is it for every team IMO no, but is it for a lot of teams yes. As far as prestige I still think it's there bc you have to qualify for Sat & then again on Sunday. Many gyms wanted more opportunities at bids and now they got them. Again, the WC is an OPTION which gyms are allowed to either accept or deny and there is a choice!

A little tardy to the party, but this all sounds like just a way for Varsity to make more money and have more teams attend, not make semis, then just hang out around Disney and the competition all weekend spending their money and crowding up Orlando.
exactly my views. The summit was PACKED. Buses to ESPN were so overwhelmed the disney driver said he's never seen it so bad in his LIFE. IMO it was wayyy too many teams in every division (and some were really small...) There was about 400 teams there this past year, and now theres the possibility of 700??? Not a fan....

I hate to try to push my own idea here, but I still think having the Wildcard winners move straight to finals would have waaaaay more teams considering accepting these bids.

The at-large bids don't feel cheated, because statistically they still have a greater chance of making finals. Paid bids don't feel cheated because, well, they are paid. I think it would make the WC divisions much larger, but if there ends up only being one in a division, have them compete against a (fairly high) score.

I hate to try to push my own idea here, but I still think having the Wildcard winners move straight to finals would have waaaaay more teams considering accepting these bids.

The at-large bids don't feel cheated, because statistically they still have a greater chance of making finals. Paid bids don't feel cheated because, well, they are paid. I think it would make the WC divisions much larger, but if there ends up only being one in a division, have them compete against a (fairly high) score.
I think it would definitely increase the quality of those teams. A team gunning for paid might well accept a WCard (totally agreed with an earlier post about seeing World Cup every time) bid if winning that division let them skip semis. As is, if I thought my team was a paid contender I likely wouldn't accept a WCard bid...especially before Nationals season even gets going.

I think it would definitely increase the quality of those teams. A team gunning for paid might well accept a WCard (totally agreed with an earlier post about seeing World Cup every time) bid if winning that division let them skip semis. As is, if I thought my team was a paid contender I likely wouldn't accept a WCard bid...especially before Nationals season even gets going.

It would provide a more "wildcard" feel. As it stands now, it's just basically an extra round.

Let's do the math and please anyone correct me if you see a flaw.
220 WC bids.
Only JR/SR
110 bids per age level (Assuming even split.)
Divide that by 5 levels 1-JR5/R5 that's 22 teams per division.
Now divide that in half, and I think I'm being generous, because of bids not being accepted/used.
That's 11 teams per division.
So IF you take your bid and actually use it you have a 1/11 chance of making it to day 1. is that a chance your program is willing to take? 1/11 are better odds than not being there at all.
Now we all know certain divisions will be smaller or larger, JR5 comes to mind right off hand.
The only flaw I really see in this whole process is the not being allowed to accept an At-Large bid. Why wouldn't you give a team a chance to upgrade regardless of the type of bid? is it to keep stronger programs out?
They allow you to upgrade from At-Large to paid so why not WC to AL?

220 WC bids.
Only JR/SR
Now divide that in half, and I think I'm being generous, because of bids not being accepted/used.
So IF you take your bid and actually use it you have a 1/11 chance of making it to day 1. is that a chance your program is willing to take? 1/11 are better odds than not being there at all.
Now we all know certain divisions will be smaller or larger, JR5 comes to mind right off hand.
The only flaw I really see in this whole process is the not being allowed to accept an At-Large bid. Why wouldn't you give a team a chance to upgrade regardless of the type of bid? is it to keep stronger programs out?

My guess is it's probably their attempt to keep more competition in the WC divisions.

220 WC bids.
Only JR/SR
Small/Large and AG/Coed would divide it even more... 3ish teams per division?

Didn't think about that.
Heck I forgot about 4.2 also.
Which is also split small and large.

Real question, do they have a policy in place for if there only end up being one team in a WC division?

Back