All-Star Summit Bid Winners 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm thinking that many competitions held in central Florida area will be moved to the new venue once its built. That will probably move D2 to Orlando, hopefully more options. Just pd registration on pd bid isnt helping all that much, that's the least expensive part of the weekend.and Tampa is no where near as exciting as Orlando. Traffic traffic traffic...not like Orlando doesn't have it either but downtown Tampa area is heavily congested

I find the difference between paid D1 & paid D2 bids to be a slap in the face for D2 gyms & Athletes. The fact that D2 you get $125 registration paid & have to stay to play is unfair compared to what D1 teams get. On the other hand They give out entirely too many bids in some divisions for both D1 & D2. Is there a y1 team out there that hasn't received a bid?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I totally understand where you are coming from but just curious to hear the different solutions - how would a paid bid work for D2 summit? There is no "on-site" hotel or required park admission. What else could they cover with a paid bid?

I totally understand where you are coming from but just curious to hear the different solutions - how would a paid bid work for D2 summit? There is no "on-site" hotel or required park admission. What else could they cover with a paid bid?
I don't see how an "on-site" hotel is any different than stay-to-play hotels. They could easily cover lodging at the ridiculously expensive hotels they require. A free admission to Bush Gardens would be nice. I know they aren't required to go into any parks but paying comp fee, lodging and admission to Disney to D1 athletes & paying D2 athletes $125 comp fee doesn't seem like they view these comps as equals.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't think D2 paid bids should include theme park admission, but it should definitely have included some sort of room and transportation compensation. Especially since the competition is stay-to-play and there are teams staying a good distance away from the convention center. Some gyms and even teams are split between 2+ hotels.

I hope the D2 Summit doesn't turn out to be as big of a logistical nightmare as it sounds now.

I don't know if others feel this way, but D1 at-large and Wild Card bids seemed easier to come by this season than either kind of D2 bids. And we saw way more small gyms at competitions this year than we did last year. My guess is more small gyms are attending more competitions with the hopes of getting a D1 bid.

I don't think D2 paid bids should include theme park admission, but it should definitely have included some sort of room and transportation compensation. Especially since the competition is stay-to-play and there are teams staying a good distance away from the convention center. Some gyms and even teams are split between 2+ hotels.

I hope the D2 Summit doesn't turn out to be as big of a logistical nightmare as it sounds now.

I don't know if others feel this way, but D1 at-large and Wild Card bids seemed easier to come by this season than either kind of D2 bids. And we saw way more small gyms at competitions this year than we did last year. My guess is more small gyms are attending more competitions with the hopes of getting a D1 bid.

Yes D2 bids were MUCH harder to come by. I felt that D2 gyms came out of the woodwork this year and came with their A- Game. I would look left and right and be shocked by the quality gyms that were declared D2. It seemed harder to compete in a small gym division than it did a regular "D1" division this season! Luckily, we were blessed enough to hit when it counted and went to competitions that offered quality judging and got 2 paid D2 bids. But I felt like we won the lottery because they were so hard to get!
And I completely agree with you. We have families staying 45+ minutes away from the venue and they had to pay for the hotel and transportation. It seemed as if the Paid bid was only good for saying we got paid... $125 does not help very much in the grand scheme of things. :( I feel horrible for the families that are struggling to come up with the loads of money to give their child the experience.

It has ended up costing each family more to go to Tampa than Disney World.
With that being said, I know the D2 Summit is going to be an amazing competition. Small gyms come with some of the best routines and technique (especially in larger divisions) I have seen all season. Should be a good weekend for all!

I think it depends on your area. Any kind of bid is hard to get in the central Midwest (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska to name a few) since there are so few Varsity comps.

The only competition we attended with D2 paid bids was Cheersport Atlanta. Definitely did not feel like there were too many opportunities overall. We were lucky enough to get bids for two of our teams in November, so we are only a mile away from the venue. However, I'm still worried about transportation for our kiddos. Coming from colorado, any level of humidity will feel really humid to us haha. So walking even 1 mile feels like it would not be good for hair and make up ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Oops...hit send too quick...my real concern about the event is if it will be organized and feel like a "quality" event. I want the small gyms to get an experience of a lifetime...not just a regular competition that could be held in "anywhere convention center." Disney would have definitely provided that by just being DISNEY WORLD :).

Oops...hit send too quick...my real concern about the event is if it will be organized and feel like a "quality" event. I want the small gyms to get an experience of a lifetime...not just a regular competition that could be held in "anywhere convention center." Disney would have definitely provided that by just being DISNEY WORLD :).

I feel the same. My daughter's team is a paid bid winner and it doesn't seem, so far, to feel special or unique...it mostly seems like a pain. I'm hoping my opinion will be changed in a couple weeks. I'm pretty disenchanted with cheerleading (the business) in general these days.

I think it depends on your area. Any kind of bid is hard to get in the central Midwest (Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska to name a few) since there are so few Varsity comps.

We are on the west coast. There were plenty of Varsity events here, but there were also way more D2 gyms this year at each competition we attended.

And I should add that each competition gave away more D1 bids than they did D2 bids, even at the competitions where there were way more D2 gyms/teams in attendance. Hopefully next year they will have figured out how to distribute bids better. The distribution of D1 Wild Card bids is still producing undesirable results.

I feel like the d1 bids were still harder to get here. Her team was always so close at every competition offering them. At the last bid comp, they switched to d2 bids and were able to get one after tying another team (that got a d1 bid (paid, I think) previously) for high-point of the entire competition. I hope that the d2 Summit will prove to be a good experience for her team, because I feel like they could have been a real contender at the Summit. It feels like a let down to go to Tampa. [emoji17]

Edited: I do think d2 bids became more difficult to get as the season went on. At our first competition in December, my daughter's team won (did not get a Summit bid) and the 2nd or 3rd place team in their division got the paid D2 bid.

When you think about it 125 athletes is not a small gym, that is more than 6 teams of 20 athletes(120), my CP gym has 60 athletes and has all three summit eligible teams going to the D1 summit and is the defending champion in one division. That being said with gyms like ICE having their smaller locations going D2 and the limited number of D2 bids available it was way harder to get a D2 bid then a D1.

When you think about it 125 athletes is not a small gym, that is more than 6 teams of 20 athletes(120), my CP gym has 60 athletes and has all three summit eligible teams going to the D1 summit and is the defending champion in one division. That being said with gyms like ICE having their smaller locations going D2 and the limited number of D2 bids available it was way harder to get a D2 bid then a D1.

I don't disagree with you on 125 athletes being that small, but you have to look at it comparatively with the mega gyms. World Cup recently tweeted that between their 3 locations they had 1000 athletes. I'm not sure on the #s in the bigger gyms, but some people wouldn't even consider WC in the "mega" gym category and they're 10 times bigger than a small gym, by definition. As the big gyms get bigger and take over more and more locations, the definition of small gym has to change for them to be able to "keep up with jones'."

Back