All-Star Summit Bid Winners 2016

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

how are d2 summit bids determined? Do the gyms declare ahead of time for d2? If you decide on d2 does that automatically take you out of the bid contention for (non d2) summit? Just trying to figure out the EPs determine bids for both events at same competitor.

We went to Athletic Championships in St Louis last weekend! We had to fill out a declaration form when checked in at the coaches check in. Since we are a small gym we had the option to choose D1 or D2. We chose D1. Only thing I really didn't care for is if there's not a certain amount of teams in your division they don't split it into D1/D2 so D1 and D2 teams are competing against each other then they go back and figure out who had the highest scores out of the D1 teams and the D2 teams but as a coach you aren't really sure who you are competing against for Bids.

My cp's team hasn't received one this year, but last year both of the teams she was on received WC bids in Nov. I was fine with it...to me there wasn't a big difference b/w a WC and an AL bid. If the teams earned a Paid, they could replace the WC with that. If they didn't, well, we had months to fundraise & plan. Her teams were ecstatic to win the bids, and were ecstatic to go to the Summit. Other than the cost, it was a great experience for all of us.

On a related note...I've heard there have been changes to the WC process this year. Specifically, the top 2 teams in the division on Friday move on (versus one) and that the top team automatically goes to Sunday. Is this correct info? Makes WC bid even better if true.
Correct. Winner of Wildcard moved to finals. 2nd place in Wildcard moved to Semis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wildcard bids can only be upgraded to a paid, not to an at-large. At-large bids can be upgraded to a paid.

So if you get a wildcard but you really think you'll get an AL (or paid) later on, then you can decline the wildcard bid? And risk ending up with nothing instead? Do some gyms do this?

(don't think we'll get any bids but I'm just curious to learn how it works)

So if you get a wildcard but you really think you'll get an AL (or paid) later on, then you can decline the wildcard bid? And risk ending up with nothing instead? Do some gyms do this?

There are gyms that pre-decline wildcards, so they aren't even in the running to get one. Before the comp you have to let the EP know what type of bid you are willing to accept. You could also decline after, I think you have something like 72 hours to decide? I don't know how many do this, probably not many though. It's similar to how a lot of the big name gyms decline at-large worlds bids.

Yes our gym doesn't do wildcards.

Although we could have gotten I think all wildcard bids given out (but maybe one?) between our first two comps, our gym will not accept one. They said if you can't get an at large or paid then you shouldn't go. However I think some divisions would be easy to take a wildcard (like small youth 3- because there won't be that many teams and u just have to place top 2) so I think it has its advantages. I would take it .. But not our gym.

We declined wildcard bids last year and it worked out

Like half our teams got paid and the other half got at large so everyone was able to go.

The year before our gym only wanted to take paid bids... But unfortunately my daughters team collected an at large at every single bid event.

Which were later passed down.. I was a little salty. We did take 4 paids that year i believe.

But it doesn't matter what you go on, you have a risk of not even making day 2.
Although I think paids should get guaranteed Sunday but I won't hold my breath.

My daughters team went on paid last year and from our gym had the biggest chance of winning ... And they tied for 20th and didn't make day 2.
They had more deductions day 1 at summit then they had all season added together lol.
And a team that won we already beat them earlier in the season. We just didn't beat them when it mattered most.
So honestly it doesn't matter what bid u take. Your chances of winning are slim lol

They said if you can't get an at large or paid then you shouldn't go.

I guess this depends on the gym. Your gym is successful and have done well in the past so it's justified to think like that. It maybe also depends a little on where you live. We're a not so successful gym in Florida so we would be ecstatic at a Wild Card and wouldn't have to travel far. :) (If anything we'll probably go for a D2, not the "real" Summit.)

Does anyone have data on the number of paid bids handed out last year per level? I wonder if one level tends to get more than other levels.

@123jump4! Our gym only takes paid bids - summit and worlds.

@KDCheerMom Interesting question since this year the wildcard bids are different. Now each 1 day comp that offers bids offers 3 total - 1 each for youth, junior, & senior. Some of the bigger comps that offer multiple at large bids say 1 AL will be given to highest score for each level (not sure if that's how it was last year or not). I wonder if they did that to purposely spread the bids out among the levels more.

Although we could have gotten I think all wildcard bids given out (but maybe one?) between our first two comps, our gym will not accept one. They said if you can't get an at large or paid then you shouldn't go. However I think some divisions would be easy to take a wildcard (like small youth 3- because there won't be that many teams and u just have to place top 2) so I think it has its advantages. I would take it .. But not our gym.

Like half our teams got paid and the other half got at large so everyone was able to go.

The year before our gym only wanted to take paid bids... But unfortunately my daughters team collected an at large at every single bid event.

Which were later passed down.. I was a little salty. We did take 4 paids that year i believe.

My daughters team went on paid last year and from our gym had the biggest chance of winning ... And they tied for 20th and didn't make day 2.
They had more deductions day 1 at summit then they had all season added together lol.
And a team that won we already beat them earlier in the season. We just didn't beat them when it mattered most.
So honestly it doesn't matter what bid u take. Your chances of winning are slim lol

Same for us. We had a great season going back and forth with another team for 1st. Them summit really knocked us down on our tumbling, which we knew was our weakness! Didn't make to day 2 either.

This seems to be similar to the way our gym thinks. I know that they did go to Summit on a Wild Card.....but our owner has stated many times she doesn't chase bids and if they can't win one at NCA or a couple other large comps, then they don't really need to spend all that money and probably not do well in Florida.

Does anyone have data on the number of paid bids handed out last year per level? I wonder if one level tends to get more than other levels.
You had me curious so I looked it up. (Plus I was procrastinating on work I really need to be doing.)

According to Varsity's bid winners sheet the paid bids by level were:
Level 1 - 11
Level 2 - 27
Level 3 - 26
Level 4 - 29
Level 5 - 9

Paid bids by age:
Youth - 11
Junior - 43
Senior - 48

Total bids given 726
Paid 102
AL 415
WC 209

You had me curious so I looked it up. (Plus I was procrastinating on work I really need to be doing.)

According to Varsity's bid winners sheet the paid bids by level were:
Level 1 - 11
Level 2 - 27
Level 3 - 26
Level 4 - 29
Level 5 - 9

Paid bids by age:
Youth - 11
Junior - 43
Senior - 48

Total bids given 726
Paid 102