All-Star Survey: Hs Cheer V. All Star Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you had to pick one would it be High Scool Cheer or All Star Cheer?

• Total voters
This would be a no-brainer for me. Maybe it was just my high school, but it wasn't a great experience when I tried out. I made Varsity, but I decided not to join. Cheering for someone just isn't for me. I long for competing, working hard, and tumbling. I want to be able to do more elite stuff, and at my high school, it wasn't going to happen. No one really was very friendly, and the skill level wasn't high. Plus, I never wanted to actually cheer for a sports team. My parents wanted me to try out. I realize that some high school teams can be amazing, and they're more affordable sometimes. However, all-star is just everything that I've ever dreamed of. My team is amazing, and even though I'm new, they welcome me. Everyone works a lot harder, and it's just more competitive. Just my opinion.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I've been wanting to be an all star cheerleader since the 5th grade. I tried out for the very first time my 8th grade year but my parents made me quit before the first practice. After a couple more years, we finally settled on a compromise. My sophomore year, I tried out for my school cheer team. It wasn't a very good experience for me. We were a successful team and went to comps like NCA nationals but I was never really able to get close to many of the girls and honestly school cheer and the whole aspect of cheering at games just wasn't for me. It was also really stressful for me having to learn level 3/4 flying my first year of cheer with no progression. I frequently panicked and it just wasn't enjoyable for me. For my junior year my parents finally let me try out at the same all star gym I tried out at in 8th grade and it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. I love everything about all star.I'm now about to start my senior year after the summer and personally I couldn't be happier I made the transition from high school to all star.

this is actually a difficult question for me to answer.

competitively, i'd 100% choose all star. my high school team competed and went to a "nationals" but we weren't great and got last 90% of the time. but at the same time, looking back, there is no where i would have rather been than on the sidelines of football games. that was the highlight of my high school career.

I wonder how different the results would be, if this was posted in the High School cheer section?
Good point. I choose to put it here because the all star section tends to get a lot more visitors.

I think it all depends. On how good the allstar teams and high school teams are. Personally i only have level 2 tumbling skills and a couple level 3 tumbling skills. I was offered a position on a high school team that went to uca nationals if I went to that school. If I would of been able to do this team i would have not done allstar. At my high school cheer is a joke and are a mess all the time so I would them pick allstar.

The difference for me is that in...

All star, I love the athleticism and stunts. Also meeting different people from other schools and going to competitions all the time. I am Very competitive person and I love winning although I'm not a big tumbling fan. Also being able to talk more about big comps like nca, worlds, cheersport, champions league....etc and big name gyms and have an actual convo with someone who actually knows about them and follows them

For high school there are so many great memories with your high school friends. I also love making locker signs for the guys and showing my skills off at pep rally's and games. It also makes me more involved at school because I'm required to perform at events. I love the senior night recognition and oppurtunit to become an all american at camp. Sometimes I also just love being more girly on the sidelines

Even as a mom of 2 CPs who do both all-star and school cheer, it would be a difficult decision. My oldest won NCA with her all-star team, but she also cheered at 2 state championship football games at Cowboys stadium - and they won back-to-back championships. Both CPs have cheered during a Cowboys half-time show thanks to their all-star gym. I am just really happy that Texas doesn't make the athletes choose...at least for now.

I think it depends most on where you live and what is available to you. In my area, HS cheer is just sideline cheer and completely different than AS cheer, which thrives in this area. So, for me, it's obvious I would choose the much more established AS cheer specifically because of where I live. But, if I lived in an area where HS cheer was much more popular and competitive than AS cheer, I would choose HS.

My daughter would most def choose Allstar simply because the HS team locally doesn't take it as serious as the allstar team does. Girls show up when they want and practice 1/2 booty'd . It's more of a status symbol then a team. With that being said our Allstar gym owner manages a HS team who practices in the allstar gym, and they are IN CRE DI BLE! They are almost as good as our Senior team!

i've done both. i joined my hs team halfway through my sophomore year and we went to USA nationals. i never felt super close w/ the team because i was a sophomore on varsity and everyone else was a senior. but i loved the idea of competing, so i tried out the following year hoping we would compete. cheering at games was never the best part for me. then as sophomore year was ending, i discovered an all star gym near me. i begged my parents to let me join, because my favorite part of cheer was the competition. after an agonizing few weeks, i was allowed to try out. this is now my second year of all star cheer and i couldnt be happier. i also did hs cheer my junior year + all star but it was way too much. and in hs cheer there was a lot more drama for me and i didn't like how my team didnt take it seriously. there were many cliques and i wasnt very happy. so this year im only doing all star, but im so much happier...so long story short, all star cheer all the way!

My CP would definitely choose AS. That being said, we require her to cheer HS if she wants to cheer AS. HS is good for her college resume and offers some good "life lessons". It is good for these AS girls to realize that sometimes everyone isn't as talented, but can still bring something to the experience. Additionally, HS offers the experience of friendships, school spirit, and responsibility that she would miss out on if she strictly cheered AS.

My CP is only 10, but HATES sideline cheer. She went to and elementary school that participated in CYO youth league, and she gladly gave that up for allstar. She is in a public school now, and all the public schools are ground bound. She has no interest in trying out for middle school cheer next year and will gladly stick with allstars.

I've cheered HS, University, AS and for our professional football team. I loved HS when I did it. But cheering football made me realize that while I love performing at the games, competing is where my true passion lies, so I'd choose AS at this point if I had to choose.

Back