All-Star Switching Gyms: The Athlete's Perspective

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 13, 2015
While I'm sure that there have been threads on switching gyms before, I wanted to create one where athletes can share their gym switching stories and tips/advice with one another.

I started allstar cheer when I was 10 years old, and was at my old gym for six years. For the first five and a half years, my life completely revolved around my gym. However, I had slowly noticed myself feeling less and less willing to go to practice over the past two years. I was on a team that had too much drama, and a majority of the athletes were unmotivated. I started branching out and researching other gyms around my area, but was not actually thinking of leaving just yet.
I struggled a lot about this decision, to the point where I was crying myself to sleep every night. I was struggling with the fact that I had grown up in this gym, I had always been so loyal to the owner, leaving the gym would mean leaving my friends behind, etc. Was it really worth it to leave all that for my senior year?? Than I thought about what was best for me.
In March, I finally decided to go to a new gym, just to check it out. I took a clinic and absolutely loved it. I walked out of the class skipping. I had a smile on my face, and I realized that in one class, this gym brought back my love for cheerleading!! I tried out at my new gym, I've made a lot of new friends, and I'm already having an amazing time!!

The point that I want to make with my story is that leaving your gym can be really difficult, but you have to do what you feel is best for you in terms of progression and your general happiness.

For anyone who has switched gym, or is thinking about it, my advice is to be yourself. Let your potential coaches and teammates meet the real you. Don't try to be someone you're not because they will see right through you and know you're faking it. People want to like you for the person you are, so let them get to know that person, and not a fake persona.

Back