Switching Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 21, 2016
Im considering a switch for next year because I do not like the direction the new Ownership is taking our gym. What is the best way to see if a prospective new gym is a good fit?

Go in and visit when practices are going on. Can your CP take tumbling at another gym? Asking parents about their experiences can give you some good information if you know anyone who goes there.

But when is the right time? Obviously I do not want to do it during the season, but the "break" is so short...

It seems like this is the time of year when open gyms start to get busier with people checking out gyms or trying to work on skills for tryouts. Probably that's partly due to nationals season...seeing gyms place well gets people interested.

Isn't it a no no to go tumble or open gym at another local gym while you are still actively competing with current gym? With social media the way it is, I would think that would be friend upon?

I'm sure many people think that, but, if my child was changing gyms (and when she did), that's how we would decide what to do. She's never been at a gym that restricted that sort of thing...and her gym is always full of kids from other gyms in classes.

Isn't it a no no to go tumble or open gym at another local gym while you are still actively competing with current gym? With social media the way it is, I would think that would be friend upon?
Not around here. It's fairly common to go to other gyms to tumble or for open gyms. I have heard of a few gyms not "allowing" their athletes to go elsewhere but they really can't do anything if you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of bad blood between my local gyms.... I'm just not sure how it would go here.

I have heard of gyms not "allowing" their athletes to go to other gyms under threat of dismissal from the team. Our old gym implemented this policy after we left. I compare it to Wal-Mart telling you that you can't purchase at Target or Wal-Mart won't allow you to spend your money at Wal-Mart anymore. But it's my money and if Wal-Mart doesn't have what I'm looking for, I'm headed to Target. So give me a reason to keep spending my money at Wal-Mart lololol. (Fyi I don't shop at Wal-Mart)

It depends on your gym's policies. Some gyms don't care. Others have rules against going to another gym. If you're thinking of switching I would check out possible gyms now. Learn their coaching philosophy and get your CP in so she could see how she likes it (or not). It's important that she meets the coaches and kids to see if it might be a good fit for her. Talk to other parents, if you know any, to get their experiences.

ETA: We switched to a bitter rival gym. I knew it would get back to our gym as soon as CP went to open gym there. The best advice I can give is to stay quiet and not let what anyone says bother you. Your true friends will rise to the top very quickly when you switch gyms.

Last edited:
There is a lot of bad blood between my local gyms.... I'm just not sure how it would go here.
You as a parent can speak to the director or owner of the program(s) you are considering and ask if you can observe a practice. And then go without bringing cp. Get a vibe for the place. See if it's a place you can see cp at. Especially since the reason you are thinking of switching is because you don't like the direction your current gym is taking with the new ownership. This way you may be able to cross a gym or two off your list without cp ever even having stepped foot in there.

This is such a difficult situation. Social media aside, you would be amazed at how often gym owners talk to each other, even if there is bad blood between them. And if the gym owner doesn't say anything, a meddling parent will. I hate to say it, but it is likely the minute you step in to a new gym, even if it is just to pick up a brochure, your current gym will know. You have to be willing to take whatever "payback" there may be at your current gym if you have any communication with a new gym at any point before, during or after the tryout process.

This is my first post. I am having the same issues with our gym and wondering same as op. These responses are very helpful. Can you just go in and not disclose your current gym?

Back